Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I took off for a week for the first time on my Gl1800. We went from San Antonio to Durango, then Ouray, Crested Butte, Canon City then home. It took two days each way. Our first night out was in Roswell NM which was 650 miles from our home. Lubbock, TX was our last night on the road. We had a great time. In Durango, we took a day off the bike and took the Silverton train which dropped us off at Soaring Durango, where we zip-lined for six hours. It was a first class experience. Highly recommend it. We rode the million dollar highway through Silverton to Ouray. What a great road! We also went to Telluride in the rain. Both the south and north rim of the gunnison were great. If doing only one, the north rim is much nicer to ride. We enjoyed the time in the mountains although it was a lot hotter than we had anticipated. We thought about shipping home the colder weather stuff, but didn't. In the hotel parking lot in Lubbock, I went out to the parking lot of our very nice hotel to bring the bike around. This was 4:00 am to try to beat the heat. I was alone. Long story short: three teenage punks ran and hid, then repeated trying to sneak up on me. I saw one tying a mask onto his face and stared them down. Losing the element of surprise, they decided I was not easy prey. This got my heart rate up. I got on the bike just as they were approaching me. I got out without an encounter.Glad it didn't go the other way. I had I pistol sitting in the trunk bag up in the hotel. If I am ever in the same situation again, I will be armed. This didn't affect my trip in any way, but I thought it worth mentioning for any other early risers. I had a truck rain rubber on me as a retread blew up. I managed to dodge it all, and hung back until a five foot peace came off and the truck stopped. We wore crushed ice filled bandanas in the 105 degree heat coming home. All in all a great trip. My wife is a real trooper. She had a blast as well.

·
Administrator
29,001 Posts
Glad most of your 1st trip went well. Oh by the way didn't you get the memo that we're supposed to include photos with our trip reports?;)

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
Sounds like you had a great run. I find heat is more bearable than cold, you can always find some way to cool off; once the shivers set in you're hooped. I have a solution to the punks you encountered: I walk softly and carry a huge stick. God help the wayward creep that thinks I'm an easy mark.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds like you had a great run. I find heat is more bearable than cold, you can always find some way to cool off; once the shivers set in you're hooped. I have a solution to the punks you encountered: I walk softly and carry a huge stick. God help the wayward creep that thinks I'm an easy mark.
Agreed, especially in the state of Texas, where you are allowed to defend yourself. Gotta love it. Sounds like a great tirp

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
That is a great ride...I see you are in San Antonio...we should plan on a ride some time this summer. Meet a the mid point.. how was Ouray...I have heard some things about it...

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Doesn't count if there is no pictures

·
Banned
2,948 Posts

That is quite an adventure story. I have seen enough of the tires along side the road to keep back from those trucks. I always have a .22 pistol in my handlebar bag for that situation you were in, but I always handle it like you did.... leave if at all possible.

For some of us... who are not familiar with those areas.... a state behind the town might be a little easier reading for us geography challenged guys.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here are a couple pictures taken at a rest area on the north rim of the gunnison. It started to rain again right after these were taken. In one picture you can see the road in the upper left corner. It was a great ride, even in the rain. On the way back the road was dry, and I let it fly. Great fun!!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,540 Posts
Yes we love your pics.

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Hi Silver Bullet,

Were you able to drive across the Royal Gorge Bridge on your Wing? That is something I'd really like to do! The Royal Gorge is outstanding.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes we did drive across Royal Gorge Bridge. There is a $50.00 entrance fee. It does get you a bunch of stuff for that price. We rode a tram across the gorge (which was included in the addmition fee). The ride along the Arkansas river coming into that area was a great road. Also the mountain pass on Hwy 50 was a highlight. The Butler map of Colorado helped a great deal in finding good rides. I wish I was back there now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts