Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

First Impressions

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Scooter1 
#1 ·
OK, so this morning I 'had' to ride the new 2012 Wing (non-airbag but all other bells) up to the multiplex for the expo. I also took up a CBF600SA, I'll get to that in a second.
First thing I noticed when I thumbed the starter was the lack of exhaust note (like mine better). the as I jockeyed the bike around in the shop to drive out the door, I immediately noticed the difference in the seat: roomier and I think cushier to some degree. All I know for sure is it's defintely better than my '09, and I had no issues with it either. Then as I rolled around front (our yard is all gravel, no pavement) I did think that the front fork is waaaaay smoother and more compliant than mine. My bike hasn't all that many miles on it so I think the minute changes did make a substantial difference...there is NO shudder or shock transmitted through the bars at all and mine does exhibit some harshness (I mentioned this here in my early days on the site) which did surprise me when I first got the bike. Other than that, it feels almost identical to the 1800's I've been on before. The GPS is waaaay improved visually but I didn't have a chance to fiddle with it at all so I can't vouch for the functionality at all. The stereo is a huge improvement. I LOVE the red and silver colour now that I've had a chance to polish it and see my handiwork in the sunlight. Looks durn fine on the display floor!
Complaint time: The new GPS unit takes up the spot where the CD changer used to go and where I like to store my manuals and documents. The trunk still looks like it don't belong with the rest of the bike. No airbag, but the little locking/removeable storage cubby is great. The stock windshield is no match for my Windbender (I know, that's not fair but hey it's true). The hype about the increased volume in the saddlebags is just that: hype; not all that useful IMO. The Bridgestones are vastly better than the Dunlops (and the Dunlops I think are just fine thank you very much)
Verdict: There is much to like in the 2012, visual cues not included but I personally like the side and front profiles. This bike is smoother, and more comfortable than before, and the other tweaks make an already fine machine just that much better. The nicest surprise is that the price hasn't jumped much at all (MSRP anyway) although there aren't much in the line of 'bargains' on them...the current thing up here is $1000 off the MSRP, so you're looking at $30k Cdn out the door, definitely more than a non-current '10 model if you can find one anymore (there aren't many left up here). Would I buy one? Yup. Would I trade mine for one? Nah; that would relegate me to living in the 5th wheel and a 50% drop in net worth I reckon:eek:

See less See more
#4 ·
good compairison red baron and i'm glad it came from someone that rides an 1800. i haven't been back to T&C to test ride their new 1800 but i had fun testing the '09 and '10 wings they had last year

#5 ·
Quite frankly I was very impressed with how smooth it was. And dang it's purdy!!!!:D

#6 ·
Guess I'm an ole dude but I like the ole 90 1500 hundred better than the new 2912 I rode today. Yes the new one was much more maneuverable, lower and easier to handle but yhe ole 1500 just rides like Caddy. I'm sure someday I will move up to an 18 but I love my ole 15 for now. No offense to anyone just an ole dudes opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.