Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As if you didn't already know - I COMPLETED MY FIRST IBA!!!:D
Here is the report - Be patient - Several pages with just a few pics (I know the GWOF rule)

I started out with a warm-up and added a couple hundred miles in case I felt okay at the 800 mark. I didn't know the rules to IBA and thought it may help to text a quick message to IBALEE at every stop. This was important since I have the mileage at the stops which will help with the paperwork.
I left Painter, Al. at 4:31 a.m. Central and returned at 2:05 a.m. Total mileage with the occasional bad GPS directions ended up with 1091 in 22hrs26min. Not bad for a first time.;)

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The route would be:
Soddy Daisy, Tn. > Crossville, Tn. > Bowling Green, Ky > Paducah, Ky > Poplar Bluff, Mo. > Jonesboro, Ar. > Tunica, Ms. > Florence, Al. > Huntsville, Al. and back home.
And it should have looked like this:
http://goo.gl/maps/FJ8I

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now a little road wrap up:
I had 2 favorite roads and for different reasons....US 127 from Soddy Daisy to Crossville, Tn is incredible the Mountains are Beautiful. My other fav was from Paducah to Poplar Bluff. Some may think its monotonous, but I love the huge farms and farm houses. It was flat and albeit Windy...I could see forever. Beautiful.
My worst road was anything in Jonesboro, Ar. - Don't think I will visit that stretch of madness again.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Photos as Promised
Road Highway Bridge Thoroughfare Asphalt Land vehicle Vehicle Mode of transport Transport Car Motor vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Mode of transport Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle accessories Motorcycle Car

1. Mississippi River Bridge into Missouri
2. Missouri Farmland
3. Missouri sign
4. Arkansas Rest Area

·
Registered
20 Posts
Congrats REF!

WOOHOO !:D Congrats REF! Let us know your IBA number?

Previous rides:
75' Honda CB360, traded
75' AMF Harley Sportster 1000, crashed-totalled
76' AMF Harley Superglide 1200, crashed/repaired & sold
00' BMW R1100R traded
02' Suzuki SV650(beater-bike) traded
10' GL1800 Audio/Comfort (sold)

Current ride:
05' FJR1300, Mighty-trusty, canyon carver bike

jdgw_wannabe
IBA # 38829

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Sounds like an adventure, Ref. Did you see many critters out on the road?

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WOOHOO !:D Congrats REF! Let us know your IBA number?
jdgw_wannabe
IBA # 38829
Don't worry - Still some paperwork to complete, but rest assured it will go right under my IDMWT and Darkside#:D

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like an adventure, Ref. Did you see many critters out on the road?
Very lucky ride with only 1 Opossum at the end.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Final Note:
This was an incredible ride - Mind over Matter at its best....However:
I don't listen to music while I ride, so I think alot:eek:

I was thinking about the connections I have made on the GWOF and how it felt like some part of many of you were along for the ride.

1. Fossil's advice on loosening my grip allowed me to ride for hours without stopping due to pain.
2. Chopin's help with the adjustment on backrest was huge.
3. Rapier's notes on the Planning an IBA was something I drilled into my brain. Clean the Windshield and Wet Scarves on ice...
4. IBALEE as a contact helped me set short range goals.
5. I used a Ron Robertson line to my Butler Cup to help Hydrate.

Forgive me if it sounds like an acceptance speech for an Oscar. I just found it funny.:)
Oh and Thanks for that

·
Administrator
29,020 Posts
Excellent job as I said before, glad we were able to be a part of it. Thanks for some pictures if you have more we'd like to see them. One Question though.

What was with that little dip south of Memphis? Really interrupted the loop for me. :rolleyes::D

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
That looked like a great loop. It looks like a bigger accomplishment than just a run out and back on the interstate. Is that the Mississippi River bridge at Cairo? I've been wanting to cross there but haven't made it yet.

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Very glad to see your success story, Ref! And thanks for the credit. Happy to see that my experience helped another rider accomplish what relative few have done.

You also reminded me to go look up my IBA number and add it to my sig!

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Excellent job as I said before, glad we were able to be a part of it. Thanks for some pictures if you have more we'd like to see them. One Question though.

What was with that little dip south of Memphis? Really interrupted the loop for me. :rolleyes::D
Not many pics Fossil...Only took a few (time constraints). Only took those so Budoka wouldn't stamp me with "This thread is useless without pics"
The pig tail in the loop was due to my hotel room in Tunica, MS. When I got there I called IBALEE to see if he thought IBA would recognize my trip if I went on. He said it would and I headed back up. That was 60 minutes I didn't need.
That looked like a great loop. It looks like a bigger accomplishment than just a run out and back on the interstate. Is that the Mississippi River bridge at Cairo? I've been wanting to cross there but haven't made it yet.
Not sure....There were 2 big River systems from Kentucky to Missouri. I thought one was the Missouri River, but it wasn't marked. This one was. I stopped on it for road construction and the Wind was a lot of fun. Thought about a pic, but wasn't sure I could hold the Wing up.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
sounded like fun , but no music for over 1000 miles ,wow that would drive me nuts

·
Administrator
15,312 Posts
Not sure....There were 2 big River systems from Kentucky to Missouri. I thought one was the Missouri River, but it wasn't marked. This one was. I stopped on it for road construction and the Wind was a lot of fun. Thought about a pic, but wasn't sure I could hold the Wing up.
When you go from Kentucky to Missouri there on US 60/62 you go over the Ohio River into the very bottom tip of Illinois at Cairo, then over the Mississippi River into Missouri. So you can color in Illinois on your map.

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When you go from Kentucky to Missouri there on US 60/62 you go over the Ohio River into the very bottom tip of Illinois at Cairo, then over the Mississippi River into Missouri. So you can color in Illinois on your map.
I was wondering about that. I ate lunch at an Arby's in Paducah and the lady said I was just a few miles from Illinois. Awesome!!!! So that was the Ohio River....Glad you caught that:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Not many pics Fossil...Only took a few (time constraints). Only took those so Budoka wouldn't stamp me with "This thread is useless without pics"
"missed it by that much!" ...Maxwell Smart
you spoiler you:D

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
As if you didn't already know - I COMPLETED MY FIRST IBA!!!:D
Here is the report - Be patient - Several pages with just a few pics (I know the GWOF rule)

I started out with a warm-up and added a couple hundred miles in case I felt okay at the 800 mark. I didn't know the rules to IBA and thought it may help to text a quick message to IBALEE at every stop. This was important since I have the mileage at the stops which will help with the paperwork.
I left Painter, Al. at 4:31 a.m. Central and returned at 2:05 a.m. Total mileage with the occasional bad GPS directions ended up with 1091 in 22hrs26min. Not bad for a first time.;)
REF I just want to let you know that you did a fine job...but becareful IBA rides are very addicting...you start trying to improve on your time and you do every time you do one....:D Congrats my friend....Kudos.....

·
Premium Member
7,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
REF I just want to let you know that you did a fine job...but becareful IBA rides are very addicting...you start trying to improve on your time and you do every time you do one....:D Congrats my friend....Kudos.....
Thanks for the Kudos....
You have definitely mastered the time thing. Bun Burner Gold in 22:43. Thats averaging less than 7:45 per 500. On average more than 2 hours better than my time. I still can't figure out how you did that. I guess thats where the extra fuel comes in. That has to be pure interstate as well.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.