Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Comming off a VTX1300 I picked up my Goldwing Saturday. What a truck! Almost feel I have to learn to ride a motorcycle again. The comfort level is great, but I see some highway pegs are a soon must. As I'm used to sitting in a bike rather than on top of it, the higher altitude threw off my sense of low center of gravity. She's a big woman, but worth the effort.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
Congrats on your new Wing. You'll learn to love her size.... Ride safe.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF chopin114. once you get comfortable on your wing you'll forget all about that vtx

·
Registered
21 Posts
Comming off a VTX1300 I picked up my Goldwing Saturday. What a truck! Almost feel I have to learn to ride a motorcycle again. The comfort level is great, but I see some highway pegs are a soon must. As I'm used to sitting in a bike rather than on top of it. The higher altitude threw off my sense of low center of gravity. She's a big woman, but worth the effort.

Congrats on your purchase. How long was your learning curve before you felt comfortable? I am coming off a Yamaha Roadliner 1900 and really curious as to how the first ride will feel.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing, Once you get a couple hundred miles on it will become part of you and you will be dragging metal in the corners before you know it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks Joe Glad to hear that. I pick her up tomorrow so I am so excited

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on your purchase. How long was your learning curve before you felt comfortable? I am coming off a Yamaha Roadliner 1900 and really curious as to how the first ride will feel.
cknox: The first stop sign I came to let me know I wasn't on my bike. Riding a foward peg bike, my feet naturally wanted to reach outwards. I stopped ok but it was a little less than graceful by my standards. There's alot of different things in the way on a Goldwing. Methinks to meself, " Next stop, drop your foot down, and not out ". On the road at moving speed the ride was heaven. 70 mph and you feel like your in a vacuum and not griping the grips to fight the wind. There is no sound from the exhaust or the whistle of wind in your helmet. As far as feeling comfortable, I've only riden 100 miles on it to date. Those of us who rode "cruzers " tend to sit into the bike and wrap our legs around the engine. I found myself wanting to sink lower in the Goldwing and at first felt awkward sitting up so high. I need to scrape my first peg so both the bike and the rider understand and trust one another. For the moment I'm happy I can get it on the centerstand without feeling the need for a spotter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi cknox23, congrats on the bike. It is a different ride for sure. The weight and size took a little time to get used to. The big difference I found from the cruisers was handling at low speeds, especially 2-up. I would suggest, and it has been suggested by others on this site, that a little practice at low speeds in a parking lot would help. Also in the learning stages, when coming to an intersection prepare to stop as opposed to trying to ease through without actually stopping. If you get part way through and get surprised by a car or pedestrian you didn't initially see, then you got a very large machine to stop or get out of the way of traffic. But when you get comfortable, man, that is one sweet ride ! Congrats again, you're going to love her. Lyndon

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hey chopin, congrats ole son, what a great bike you have there. This is not just a bike..... it's a means of transportation. Be safe & God Bless

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey chopin, congrats ole son, what a great bike you have there. This is not just a bike..... it's a means of transportation. Be safe & God Bless
As a old Goldwing once said, " To know me is to love me ".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Goldwing height and weight

The Wing seems very low to me, after six years on the Concours. Now, I like it.

The wide handlebars are great on the wing and give good leverage.

The weight does fall away with the Wing, when she is moving. One thing I am careful of, I watch where I put my feet down. I hate navigating the wing out of my front drive, which is gravel and down the bit of slope to the street. Will be installing 1/4" - gravel soon, for better traction.

I used to wonder watching folks using Goldwings for low speed parade type riding or on motorcycle courses. Once you get used to it, they handle very well indeed at low speed, using the wide handlebars and a bit of counterweight.:cool:

Dart

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The Wing seems very low to me, after six years on the Concours. Now, I like it.

The wide handlebars are great on the wing and give good leverage.

The weight does fall away with the Wing, when she is moving. One thing I am careful of, I watch where I put my feet down. I hate navigating the wing out of my front drive, which is gravel and down the bit of slope to the street. Will be installing 1/4" - gravel soon, for better traction.

I used to wonder watching folks using Goldwings for low speed parade type riding or on motorcycle courses. Once you get used to it, they handle very well indeed at low speed, using the wide handlebars and a bit of counterweight.:cool:

Dart
Dart! You hail from my favorite state of Arizona! My parents live in Sun City, a mile or so from Boswell Hospital. I come out your way usually in March for a quick week stay. I rent a Harley from Arrowhead Harley in Peoria for a day or two and do some day trips.This next trip I'm planning on renting the Ultra Glide and going south to Tombstone, etc. I have always believed that the gods intended me to live in Arizona.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi.Chopin114. I too am fresh off a cruiser.Got my 01 goldwing 3 weeks ago just because the little misses wanted more comfort.When i picked it up,about 200 miles from home my first100 miles was on a country road.Felt ackward,almost brought back,but the next 100 miles were highway.Set the cruise cotrol at 75mph and it felt very comfortable.In the last 3 weeks i have managed to put 1200 miles on the bike...i really love this machine...Last saturday i winterized my cruiser (which is for sale by the way,C90T)put in the gas stablizer and took it out for a 10 minute run.Let me say,i thought it was going to fall apart due to the vibration.I personally would not go back to a cruiser,it is a different felling when you go from goldwing to cruiser.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hi.Chopin114. I too am fresh off a cruiser.Got my 01 goldwing 3 weeks ago just because the little misses wanted more comfort.When i picked it up,about 200 miles from home my first100 miles was on a country road.Felt ackward,almost brought back,but the next 100 miles were highway.Set the cruise cotrol at 75mph and it felt very comfortable.In the last 3 weeks i have managed to put 1200 miles on the bike...i really love this machine...Last saturday i winterized my cruiser (which is for sale by the way,C90T)put in the gas stablizer and took it out for a 10 minute run.Let me say,i thought it was going to fall apart due to the vibration.I personally would not go back to a cruiser,it is a different felling when you go from goldwing to cruiser.
We are probably reiterating the conversation old Wing riders had before. But that was then, this is now! It's great now that the highway is as comfortable as the byway.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
You can never go backwards. Only forward in reverse.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It's funny to me the wing feels easier to handle than the VTX's I have ridden but that is all relative. Once you are comfortable on a wing it never goes away. I routinely switch between the bikes in the garage and the Goldwing always impresses me wth how nimble it is.

·
Registered
105 Posts
It's funny to me the wing feels easier to handle than the VTX's I have ridden but that is all relative. Once you are comfortable on a wing it never goes away. I routinely switch between the bikes in the garage and the Goldwing always impresses me wth how nimble it is.
GW,
I know we all have probably have seen these video, but it's just a reminder how nimble the Goldwing really is. It's a sports bike that you can ride for hours and still carry a load of gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nrMQ3QwyPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nhn1gOPSRI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVzHs5mYBRs&NR=1

·
Registered
691 Posts
Congrats. I made the same move. It felt awkward at first until I REALIZED THE FRAME MOUNTED FAIRING was working on my head. Keep your head up and look at where you want to go. The Wing will do all the work. All you are is a safety coordinator. You will soon fall in love.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats. I made the same move. It felt awkward at first until I REALIZED THE FRAME MOUNTED FAIRING was working on my head. Keep your head up and look at where you want to go. The Wing will do all the work. All you are is a safety coordinator. You will soon fall in love.
I just had that realization this weekend! Never realized how much I subconciously used the front end like a rifle sight. Great piece of iteration, lonewolf. You have reinforced a problem I quickly need to solve. Semper Fi!

·
Registered
132 Posts
1st Goldwing

I bought my #1 wing this last September. My bike at the time was a VTX also. The salesman told me "it's not a matter of if but a matter of when I drop the bike."( I'm thinking, son you dont know who you are talking to. I am a rider see?). We leave the dealer, wife on back for a 70 mile trip to home. Sitting at a red light I as the wife for a drink of her tea. She leaned one way, I guess I leaned the other and down we go. Humiliating!!!! Bike survived great but I have been gun shy at intersections ever since and not real confident unless we are moving.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts