Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been a motorcycle rider (smaller motorcycles) for many years, and planning to buy my first Goldwing, shortly. I am looking at a used (1988) GL1500 with 113K miles. It appears well maintained and to be in very good shape. The owner has been straight forward and is well meaning. I really cannot afford a newer model. Does this bike make sense?

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello pashley, welcome to GWOF. ask when the timing belts were changed last. if he doesn't know or never had it done don't pass this wing by but do buy it if it's a good deal and get the belts replaced

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
The GL1500 is/was a great bike. First year of production was 1988. Like others have said, when a bike gets to be that age maint plays a big part in it's value. Ride safe and welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania.

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
welcome to GWOF from Maryland

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome to the site pashley. I loved my 1500 and I'm sure you would too.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
G'day from Down Under. And welcome to GWOF. Hope it works out for you with the 1500 wing. Eric

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Hello and welcome.
Me personally if the price is right and the bike is well maintained I'd buy it.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
a little tough to guess price due to time of year vs. region you live and availability.
cycletrader and craigslist should help.
I hear stories of 3k and a little more but don't know how often those come along.
Again, it is what is available now where you live or willing to get too.
It is the right time of year where I live as the riding season is over.
It is worth a good bit to have one that has been well maintained not set up for an extended period of time and with an owner who is trustworthy.

after that, if it looks good, sounds good and says, 'take me home' then go for it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
L2R thanks for the Cycle Trader tip. I have been looking locally on Craigs List but actually was unaware of Cycle Trader.
BTW shouldn't you say the NC season is "winding down" instead of "over"?

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
A well maintained bike you can visually see the condition of the plastic body work, lack of rust, owner maintenance records. Taking the bike for a test ride and checking for operating problems. Most Wing owners I know are very picky about their bike and treat them well.
As for prices they can vary, but I have listed the Ormond Beach prices from both NADA Guides and Kelly Blue Book, book value and market value are different.
http://www.kbb.com/motorcycle/retail/1988/honda/gl1500-goldwing/69410/
http://www.nadaguides.com/Motorcycles/1988/Honda/GL1500-GOLDWING/Values
Here's one in the fort myers area http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/2641888473.html
and another one http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/mcy/2659674825.html
http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/mcy/2657586409.html
actually your craigslist has a better selection of bikes then the Ormond Beach area.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks TrikeLady.
That $4500 Ft. Myers baby is the one I am looking at. I may take the plunge!

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome from Pa. Go for it.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I would grab a good 1500 for that around especially if it you feel it was well maintained.

And yes, I should have said it is winding down but in looking at the parking lot at work, it's already gone from 20 to 2 bikes. Most don't ride below 60 degrees. LOL. And I won't be riding alot longer to work because there are so many deer and I am riding about sun up.

Good luck with your hunt, hope it works out. When it does, post some pictures.

·
Premium Member
11,003 Posts
At 60f and all those tough bike rider have packed it in. Now the deer is another story. I don't know that I would like to mix it with them. There is big potential for expansion in the CAT club in your area L2R. Eric

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
Thanks TrikeLady.
That $4500 Ft. Myers baby is the one I am looking at. I may take the plunge!
I didn't know that was it, but after reading the ad I thought to myself this one is fantastic. I hope he looked at this one. :)

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
At 60f and all those tough bike rider have packed it in. Now the deer is another story. I don't know that I would like to mix it with them. There is big potential for expansion in the CAT club in your area L2R. Eric
Hahahaha

And almost all of them ride what we refer to as paint shakers. There are still 2 wings and a vtx in the parking lot most clear mornings but that is about it. I won't be riding to work much longer either.

Last year about the first of November, I was riding before sun up doing 70 around a cloverleaf that connected 2 highways. The peg slightly scraping woke me up and just as I left off the throttle, out popped a rabbit. I wasn't sure what to expect with that much of a lean and that speed but the front wheel rolled right over without a upsetting the front end too much. I stopped riding in the early mornings, it could have been a deer. We see deer roadkill a time or two every week now. Not sure how many deer we have in this state but I just saw where north Carolina has 600,000 registered hunters making us the 8th largest army in the world. ( I know Michigan, Pa and couple other states have more). Our deer population, even with all that, has gotten out of control. Hate to stop riding to work as the sun is nearly gone by the time I get home.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts