Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And what a day. Beautiful weather with a little wind but nothing too bad. We rode up through Forestburg and Saint Jo up to Caps Corner then through the wind farm at Bulcher and down to Muenster for lunch at Doc's.

From there we planned to ride back home through Tioga but.... Coming to a stop sign in Collinsville I tried to shift into first and heard a "clink" of something hitting the ground... :eek: When I look down I see the toe end of the shifter has broken off. <insert crying like a schoolgirl emote here>

So there we sit with me crouched down beside the bike trying to figure out how the heck I'm gonna shift and get us home. Thank you Mister Collinsville policeman for just laughing at us from your speedtrap a few yards away. Fortunately I never go anywhere without a few feet of para-chord. So I rig a sort of suicide shifter with the chord so I can pull up on it and we're off after only a few minutes.

Huge kudos to the folks at Maxim Honda here in Allen for offering to stay late and wait for us so they could fix the shifter. Got a new one installed and we're ready for more Mother's day weekend riding tomorrow.

Will post some pictures once my wife gets them uploaded off her camera.

262 miles in 7 hours with a few picture and lunch stops along the way. :D

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Good for you, looks like you had a great trip even with the "incident". Can we now officially call you "shiftless"???? LOL

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good for you, looks like you had a great trip even with the "incident". Can we now officially call you "shiftless"???? LOL
I guess that's better than shift for brains! :eek:

No idea why the shifter broke. The guy at Maxim that stayed late to fix it said he'd seen them break before but never one with so few miles. My bike only has 6200 after yesterday. Kuryakyn will be getting a call from them this week.

I did decide about halfway through the trip that I'm switching out the boards and going with pegs asap.

Another 200+ mile trip today to East Texas. Piney woods and oil derricks here we come!

Oh, and Bodacious BBQ for lunch! Which is the real reason for the trip.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The shifter on the floor boards was not adjusted right, If you like a heel toe shifter you can get one without the floor board set up. I had a home make one on my 08 and loved it, but there are a couple after market people that sell just the heel toe shifter, check wingstuff.com.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts