Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today was my first day of extended riding on my new to me 1990 1500 SE. This morning it was a little cold to start, but after she warmed up, no problems starting the rest of the day. Started in town, and after riding a Virago 750, I felt like I was riding a tank through town. After awhile though, I started to feel more comfortable and less afraid of the monster I am now riding...haha. Next, it was time to test the twisties on U.S. Hwy 199 along the beautiful Smith River in extreme Northern Calif. I pushed her pretty hard. I wanted to see how she handled in the corners. I was pleasantly surprised. For such a big bike, she handled very well. probably will be even better when I gain more experience on the bike. Next, I hit 101. Very smooth, I felt like I was driving a car on two wheels. Plenty of power....power to spare. Gas milage was probably in the high 20s to low 30s. I attribute this to pushing it pretty hard on 199, and even on 101. Also, after the ride, I checked the tire pressure, and both tires were woefully under inflated (I know, I should have done this before the ride). I am pretty confident that as long as I ride the bike the way I should, like a touring bike, and not a sport bike, I will get somewhere in the mid 30s for mpg....maybe even better on long freeway and highway trips. I am happy with that. I did not buy this bike for the great mpg. One other problem I had is at slow speeds I had a tendancy to hit the bottom of the floor boards when executing a turn. Like I said above, I have been riding a Yahama Virago for sometime now, and I am used to being able to get a prettygood lean on that bike. Should I back off on that with the Goldwing? Any suggestions? Thankfully, it didn't seem to be a problem at the higher speeds. Overall, I am very satisfied. I enjoyed the day very much.

·
Administrator
29,002 Posts
Glad you had a good ride.

Many riders drag their boards through the twisties. Not really a big deal once you get used to it. As far as your MPG. 1500's are fairly easy on few. Rule of thumb is keep rpm's below 3K & you will see somewhere between 37-45 mpg depending on conditions. If you tend to get into the power your fuel mileage will suffer. I remember clipping along 1-40 through Ok,Tx & NM in 2010 at about 80 MPH, getting about 27 mpg & being okay with it because we were covering ground.:cool::D

Enjoy

·
Super Moderator
15,160 Posts
there is no need to rev the motor up to 4000 rpm ( like you do on the varago ) between shifs 2500 will do. light han on the throttle when taking off i 1st gear

·
Super Moderator
9,995 Posts
Sounds like you had a good day and a nice time bonding with your new wing....

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
No worries with a bit of scraping in the corners, the boards should fold up with the touchdown and once you're used to it it's fine. I scrape mine regularly.

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Might check the air in the shocks, if it's low you can gain a little ground clearence by adding a little air.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
I hate to say this but if twisties are your thing the 1800 is (with the right rider) the better bike , but the 1500 for touring is hard to beat. JMHO

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I am a little on the short legged side, so I will just get used to the scraping from time to time. I bought this bike for touring, I just wanted to test it in the twisties a bit to see if I could keep up with the guys I ride with. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
15,290 Posts
While I also have an 1800, I have never heard any complaints about how any of the Wings handle in the curves. They are great bikes for riding far. I'm glad to hear your first ride was a good one. Now go out and do it again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
34.8 mpg, combined city and highway. I will take it :) This bike probably hasn't had a tune up in quite some time. Looking forward to getting it out on I-5 for an extended ride and seeing how it does. Very smooth once it gets up to crusing speed. Happy with my decision so far!

·
Premium Member
7,999 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good first real ride! Be sure to take pics along the way and post them.

Of all good things about the Wing the one that continues to amaze me is the handling, from 4-5 mph in a parking lot to twisties at decent speed. And mine is a 27 year old Wing!:eek: Two Wheel used the perfect term: bonding. It takes a little time and some varied miles, but it's cool when you realize that you are there.:cool: Have fun and stay safe!:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts