Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, GW Newbie here needs help.
How do i access my 2010 Goldwing's ; oil drain plug, oil filter & filler hole ?
Essentially i would like to perform the first 600miles oil change. I just don't know
how to remove those panels/cover. Thanks !

jdgw_wannabe
IBA # 38829

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Nothing wrong with premature oil changes but it is not recommended for 4,000 miles, in spite of what the dealership may have told you. The " oil drain " plug is underneath the bike's engine where one would expect a drain plug to be ( it's the only bolt head protruding from the belly of the engine ).Oil filter : From the front center of the engine, behind the front fender, lay on your side and look up and behind the lower cowl. It's the only black forward protruding mass that looks like a filter. The ' fill " plug is located behind the right lower chrome cover ( throttle side of the bike ) above the brake pedal. To access, feel under the lowest point for a fingertip access point and gently tug outwards. There is a dough nut hole grommet at 9 o'clock and a post tab at the valve cover end at 3 o'clock. Work the 9 o'clock out first and then wiggle the cover back to remove it from the 3 o'clock tab. The first time is always the toughest because it is new.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If your changing the oil at 600 miles, which is a good thing, also change the final drive fluid.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Oil changing

If your changing the oil at 600 miles, which is a good thing, also change the final drive fluid.
I'm also a great believer in early/frequent oil changes. I have done oil + filter & final drive at 1000 km. Will do the same at about 5,000 and will then settle down to the scheduled changes. Oil is cheap insurance. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Everything replied is accurate. But note that no covers need be removed to change the oil and filter. Put her up on the center stand and use a ratchet and filter socket. The right side chrome cover gives access to the filler hole. The dip stick is used by seating on the top of the filler hole, do not tighten it in as you will then overfill the crankcase.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Everything replied is accurate. But note that no covers need be removed to change the oil and filter.
True, for draining old oil and to R&R the filter. But you have to remove the right side chrome engine cover you mention below to put oil in.
Put her up on the center stand and use a ratchet and filter socket. The right side chrome cover gives access to the filler hole. The dip stick is used by seating on the top of the filler hole, do not tighten it in as you will then overfill the crankcase.
Huh? Pushing the dip stick in further will cause an underfill, right:confused:

Anyway, put in 4quarts and forget it.:D

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Huh? Pushing the dip stick in further will cause an underfill, right:confused:
Correct, if you screw the dipstick in you could end up with a slightly low oil level.

So to accurately check your oil level :-

Make sure the bike is on level ground & on the centre stand.
After refilling with oil, run the engine for a minute or two.
Allow the oil to settle for a few minutes.
Remove & wipe the dipstick.
Dip the oil with the dipstick but without screwing it in, just allow it to sit on the top threads of the hole.
Done !

Goodluck :)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
One other thing to watch for if you remove either side cover. Since the bike is new, the grommets may have a tendency to stick when you pull off the cover from the tabs and you could lose one or more of them. I found one of mine laying on the garage floor! I have a pack of spares I bought from Wingstuff, the Honda replacements are just stupid price (even with my staff discount) so I picked some up when I got a couple other baubles from WS. BTW, if you want a GW cap, the only place I have found them is at Wingstuff. Honda has discontinued them in Canada (kinda makes you wonder WTH).

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Wow now that is really good info I thought just the opposite was true!! Thank you for another good tip on oil upkeep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gold Wing 600 Mile Oil Change

I had my Wing's oil, filter, and final drive fluid changed at 600 miles, even though the dealer said it wasn't necessary. My rationale for servicing the Wing was because of what I experienced in Viet Nam working as a helicopter crew chief. The choppers had "magnetic" drain plugs. When a plug was pulled for inspection any metal filings present would adhere to the plug. Metal filings from new gear cogs may cause damage down the road, therefore, I changed the fluids.

I'm not a mechanic and don't really know if my theory is valid, but it works for me :)

Ride Safe and Happy Holidays,
T-Rex

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
If it works for you then do it. Ride safe and enjoy..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts