Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has everyone else finding the choices for oil with the correct API or JASO rating for mc wet clutches dwindling so that there is really no choice?

went to autozone to get oil and filter and now the only choice I had was either vavoline. (Good oil I know) or mobil1
Had always been using Castro so now I guess I am using Vavoline
Same good choices for filters though

Reactions: Maui and JKWinger

· Registered
2012 comfort,navi,audio,XM/ 2002 1100 Shadow Spirit
1,783 Posts
Year before last I couldn't find Rotella T6 anywhere! so I opted for the Dino version (T5 or 4?) I have a friend that works at Autozone and he said they have been in very short supply of all motor oil! So when he finally got some 15-40 T6 in I bought 2 big jugs of the stuff! I know I know Rotella supposedly changed the formula but it still reads Jaso MA and MA2 compliant on the bottle so I use it with no problems so far and will continue to use it. I probably have a 2 year supply now with 3 bikes to maintain.

· Super Moderator
15,511 Posts
i couldn't find Castro motorcycle oil either and didn't want Valvoline so i ended up buying two jugs of Castro Actevo oil off of an Ebay seller

Reactions: Maui

· Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Year before last I couldn't find Rotella T6 anywhere! so I opted for the Dino version (T5 or 4?)
I had the same problem finding T6 15w40 this last summer, so along the end of the summer I took a chance. I changed oil and used Walmart Super Tech 15w40 diesel and figured I would change as soon as I could find the T6. Well to my surprise the bike really seems to like the stuff. Have run over 3,000 miles with zero clutch slip and tranny shifts smooth with no oil consumption,
Liquid Fluid Font Service Gas

I may just stick with the Wally World oil, if T6 continues to be hard to find.

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Year before last I couldn't find Rotella T6 anywhere! so I opted for the Dino version (T5 or 4?) I have a friend that works at Autozone and he said they have been in very short supply of all motor oil! So when he finally got some 15-40 T6 in I bought 2 big jugs of the stuff! I know I know Rotella supposedly changed the formula but it still reads Jaso MA and MA2 compliant on the bottle so I use it with no problems so far and will continue to use it. I probably have a 2 year supply now with 3 bikes to maintain.
I use Rotello in my truck, diesel version, of course it takes 3 gallons

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't see what I usually use in my wife's camry either, but...... I am, I think ok using Casrol's high mileage version in it, since it has 104,000 miles on it
need to do some reading to see what it is REALLY all about
some of it is just an advertising gemick

· Registered
1994 Goldwing Trik
21 Posts
Has everyone else finding the choices for oil with the correct API or JASO rating for mc wet clutches dwindling so that there is really no choice?

went to autozone to get oil and filter and now the only choice I had was either vavoline. (Good oil I know) or mobil1
Had always been using Castro so now I guess I am using Vavoline
Same good choices for filters though
As long as it is synthetic for a wet clutch and 10W40 should be good.

· Registered
2004 Black GL1800A
661 Posts
I’ve been using Rotella T6 5W40 and like others have stated here, it was in short supply last year. I usually buy it at Canadian Tire and it was running about $60 for a 5 litre jug. But last year, they didn’t have any stock so I searched on line and found hat Walmart carries it and at $40 for the same jug! But they also were short of stock. One day they had some so I bought 3 jugs. It’s time for me to start searching again in preparation for spring. The hunt may take me some time. 😂

Reactions: Cantankerous

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve been using Rotella T6 5W40 and like others have stated here, it was in short supply last year. I usually buy it at Canadian Tire and it was running about $60 for a 5 litre jug. But last year, they didn’t have any stock so I searched on line and found hat Walmart carries it and at $40 for the same jug! But they also were short of stock. One day they had some so I bought 3 jugs. It’s time for me to start searching again in preparation for spring. The hunt may take me some time. 😂
around here, I avoid Walmart every chance I get
the one here in town has some of the rudest workers and shoppers around
any other business in town, everyone is always friendly.

plus you are taking your life in your own hands driving in that part of town, nearly half of all wrecks that take place in town are along that stretch

so, IF I HAVE to go to wally world, I go EARLY in the morning before all the Walmartians are awake

So I usually shop any of the smaller businesses around town first

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would have to drive at least 125mile round trip to even hope to find honda oil

thinking I might have to just start amazon shopping for oil

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My buddy and I used to ride 125 miles just to get a coffee.
I have been on some of those rides
there was a group of 5 of use that rode 400 miles round trip to go get bbq

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My buddy and I used to ride 125 miles just to get a coffee.
that is more about the comradery

just going for oil,,,,,,, nah

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You're' right. I miss those rides. He passed two years ago.
I hear ya
When Jim retired from the Army (Ranger), he and his wife moved 200 miles away to be near all the grand kids
so, that had ended the rides, and now he passed from a freak thing

· Registered
293 Posts
Yea, it has been hard to find oil the past few years. It has been getting better though.

For Rotella, look at Home Depot. That is where I get mine. I use it in my truck also. It is $5.00 a gallon cheaper than at Wal Mart. Also, the only Rotella that is Jaso MA, MA2 rated are the T4 Dino and T6 Full Synthetic. The T5 blend does not have this rating.

An Autoparts store (AutoZone etc.) is the last place to get oil unless it is on sale. When I was looking for T6 last year, it was $5.00 more a gallon than they sell it for at Walmart. $10.00 more a gallon than at Home Depot. It adds up really quick when I get 6 gallons for the truck and the bikes.

· Registered
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, it has been hard to find oil the past few years. It has been getting better though.

For Rotella, look at Home Depot. That is where I get mine. I use it in my truck also. It is $5.00 a gallon cheaper than at Wal Mart. Also, the only Rotella that is Jaso MA, MA2 rated are the T4 Dino and T6 Full Synthetic. The T5 blend does not have this rating.

An Autoparts store (AutoZone etc.) is the last place to get oil unless it is on sale. When I was looking for T6 last year, it was $5.00 more a gallon than they sell it for at Walmart. $10.00 more a gallon than at Home Depot. It adds up really quick when I get 6 gallons for the truck and the bikes.
the only choices for oil and filter shopping here is:
Autozone
O'Reilleys
NAPA
Walmart (and I won't stick a Fram Oil filter in anything)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts