Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
V here. Eric has asked me to post a few pics of a ride he/we did this past weekend. The Goldwing group had planned a "Ride the Ferries across the River Murray" ride this past weekend. Eric rode by himself on the Saturday so no pics. I joined them for dinner that night and then rode with the group on Sunday as it will likely be awhile until I will be up to a ride after this with surgery booked for May 17th. It is the first social ride Eric has been able to do since we moved back to "our home" at Mannum. On Sunday we rode from Mannum to Sedan, to Swan Reach, to Waikerie to Cadell and Morgan on back roads - for those who may Google Map it. We stopped for a coffee at Waikerie and lunch at Morgan after which folk headed back to their homes by whichever route made it easier for folk. We rode a different route home - mostly back roads with only about 15miles on the major highway - Morgan to Blanchetown to Sedan to Mannum. There were several roads I had never been on before so it was a lovely ride - perfect weather for a ride with temps from 10C to 27C. These pics start at Mannum to Sedan

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
12,058 Posts
Beautiful pictures as usual. Thank you for taking us along.

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics Swan Reach to Waikerie - the road, the River Murray and backwaters and then both sides of the road - this area is the mid-northeast of South Australia - Waikerie is really the beginning of the Riverland district - know for its citrus trees, vineyards and vegetable gardens using the water from the River Murray. The final pic was the view from the Cafe where we had a coffee

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From Waikerie to Cadell - autumn is finally arriving turning leaves beautiful colours. The Ferries are free, open 24 hours and are cheaper than building bridges LOL!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
at or on the Cadel Ferry. We saw these birds on the Ferry railing - I had never seen them before - took the pic, came home to check the bird book and identified them as "Welcome Swallowtails" - so pretty

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cadel Ferry to Morgan - finding lunch was difficult at Morgan - not so set up for tourists on a Sunday but there was a beautiful park to view as we had a drink or an icecream. It is a very small community. Orange grove, grapevines - not many dinosauric public telephone "boxes" left in communities with the advent of mobile/cell phones but here was one :) then the back water as we arrived at the Morgan Ferry - my first visit here and on this road

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The group at Morgan before we set off home. I thought I had a few more pics of the park.... but not so... OH well! I put the camera away after this - the body was a bit tired as I haven't been on the Bike with Eric for some time. Hope you are all well.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing V! That's gotta be more people in any of the pic collections from your rides so far :).

Those 'welcome swallowtails' remind me of the barn swallows back home that used to dive bomb our cat as he walked across the lawn. Always entertaining, LOL. (but not for the cat I guess)

·
Super Moderator
9,815 Posts
Thanks for the pics Ms V. Beautiful and entertaining as always. Will be praying for you.

·
Super Moderator
28,681 Posts
Vanessa, glad you and my mate had a great ride. Fantastic photos as always, and some stunning scenery.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Thanks for taking us along.

·
Super Moderator
14,798 Posts
Thanks for taking us along with you. I did look up those roads in Google Map. 300 K is a good day for a CAT rider! Sure glad to see you two out and about.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
Thanks for the lovely photos and ride report Lady V.
It looks like that primary school was off the grid with a cistern and solar panels.

Reactions: Luv2fish

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Nice pics! Thanks for sharing V! That's gotta be more people in any of the pic collections from your rides so far :).

Those 'welcome swallowtails' remind me of the barn swallows back home that used to dive bomb our cat as he walked across the lawn. Always entertaining, LOL. (but not for the cat I guess)
Kerry, LOL! forgot about minimising the number of peeps in pics - but I guess if one is taking pics of the group ride bound to get a few in there - a really lovely group of people - but then they are riding GW's so of course they are. right? :D

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Vanessa, glad you and my mate had a great ride. Fantastic photos as always, and some stunning scenery.
Yes the scenery really was stunning! there was a group of emu's running to the side of us at one point - I tried taking a pic but they just look like dark blobs in the pic - didn't have time to zoom in. I saw a wedgetailed eagle, such a majestic bird and similar to your American iconic bird - flying above us at about the same place. I quickly turned the camera upwards and it is all a blur :confused: - poor camera skills, LOL! but I do have the memory

·
Premium Member
11,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the lovely photos and ride report Lady V.
It looks like that primary school was off the grid with a cistern and solar panels.
That school really is in the middle of nowhere... Do you call rainwater tanks Cisterns in the USA? They live in an area where collection of rain water is a thing - especially for drinking. It is also a thing across Australia where they have cement tanks that they are painted as part of a water tank tourist art trail. Some of the art work is stunning. Our state government sort of mandated that all schools add solar panels to their roof in an effort to reduce costs for electricity. Some schools have massive systems, this is just a small rural school. Australian have taken up solar panels in a huge way - we have them on our house and now are in credit to our system - it is awesome! especially as our state has the most expensive electricity charges in the country and I believe we rank very high when compared across the world. Now the electricity companies are complaining about their lack of profits so our state government recently added a law that all new solar systems can now be turned off remotely on days where the sun is shining its brightest and systems would be producing a lot of power - not a popular move with the people - a bit "big brotherish" for a lot of people

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
That school really is in the middle of nowhere... Do you call rainwater tanks Cisterns in the USA? They live in an area where collection of rain water is a thing - especially for drinking. It is also a thing across Australia where they have cement tanks that they are painted as part of a water tank tourist art trail. Some of the art work is stunning. Our state government sort of mandated that all schools add solar panels to their roof in an effort to reduce costs for electricity. Some schools have massive systems, this is just a small rural school. Australian have taken up solar panels in a huge way - we have them on our house and now are in credit to our system - it is awesome! especially as our state has the most expensive electricity charges in the country and I believe we rank very high when compared across the world. Now the electricity companies are complaining about their lack of profits so our state government recently added a law that all new solar systems can now be turned off remotely on days where the sun is shining its brightest and systems would be producing a lot of power - not a popular move with the people - a bit "big brotherish" for a lot of people
Yes, rainwater collection tanks are called cisterns in many parts of our country, particularly in Alaska. Solar is rapidly gaining market share here as well. Compared to other systems, the maintenance cost is very low and the panels have a decent lifetime. I do like the the idea of a tourist art trail. I do understand the turn-off feature. The power generated by the grid must precisely match the load, so if generation exceeds the load it could cause a collapse of your electrical grid which would certainly lead to a lot of damage and in some cases require weeks to repair. The other reason they may turn off solar is that sometimes it is very expensive and/or risky to cycle the output of base load power plants too far or too fast.

Reactions: Luv2fish
1 - 19 of 19 Posts