Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a 2010 GOLDWING this Sat.(Comfort & Audio) Metallic Black. Hopefully this was the right choice felt down when I traded in the HD today. Would like to thank all for your input. I just have two quick questions I will have 4yrs. of coverage and can purchase an additional 2yrs for $600.00 what are your thoughts?? Secondly, the height issue is a concern I have already ordered boot from tallmans shoes wanted advice on seat mods and having the bars come back any input would be great?? To all have a Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Marco V

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Good for you Marco.
I ride a 1500 so can't help you much on personal experence on the 1800 seating. I'm sure there are those here who can help you.
Ride safe and ride long.
From the Northwest Corner.
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Congrats Marco V and welcome to the fold. It's indeed hard to part with another bike that you have shared many roads and miles with, but GW's usually make the transition pretty painless. I have no issues with size and comfort on my '09 (5'11" and 200#) so it fits me just about right. The tallman footwear should help you, and there are lots of options for seat tailoring that aren't too pricey until you get into full aftermarket seats like Hartco and Russell. I haven't seen any bar relocation kits but I know there were Heli Bar options for the ST and Chopin114 said he heard of them for GLs. Again welcome and guard the farkle floodgates, now is a dangerous time for you (in a good way though).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Picking up a 2010 GOLDWING this Sat.(Comfort & Audio) Metallic Black. Hopefully this was the right choice felt down when I traded in the HD today. Would like to thank all for your input. I just have two quick questions I will have 4yrs. of coverage and can purchase an additional 2yrs for $600.00 what are your thoughts?? Secondly, the height issue is a concern I have already ordered boot from tallmans shoes wanted advice on seat mods and having the bars come back any input would be great?? To all have a Happy Thanksgiving Day!!

Marco V
I suggest that you negotiate the warrenty price, I was offered 3 years for less than $450.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
Welcome from NC, we will be more than glad to help you go broke as others have helped us do the same.

Congrats on the new ride. No doubt, you will enjoy it immensely.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!! Now the fun begins!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congrats on the new bike.

Not sure of you inseam or height.
I am 5'7" at 140 lbs.
I know I am a small guy.
I use thick sole boots, like HD carries. Okay, I like their boots, some of em anyway.
For a stock seat the Gw is 1 of the best. I seen where Kuryakyn has a seat made by mustang that lowers ya 1 inch. Got the seat but it is almost the same height but the sides are much smaller so it helps with getting your feet on the ground but not much. Take some time to get to know the bike, you know how it feels and it's character. The reverse is a big help for me. If ya can't get flat footed the big bikes can be a pain to back up.
I run 5 lbs on the rear to have it low for me. I am okay with the bars though but I do use the Mustang backrest that helps get me close enough to reach things without having to lean forward. It is a Goldwing so you will do a lot of riding after you get use to it. It is a ball to ride. With the big fuel tank you will not be wanting to stop much anyway.
keep us posted on how you and bike are doing.

dd

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. With 30" seams, 5'6.5" and 150#, I too was not sure about how the big ole two wheeler would handle at stops, parking and slow speed manuvers, but it all worked out w/o bike mods, only concession was thicker soled boots, about 1". As we ride these bikes and get more familiar with them, and more confident, we typically change our minds as to what changes/mods/addons we need, that said, ride it some and go slo on any changes. Many times what we think we gotta have turns out to be not so. Best wishes for many enjoyable safe miles from MidMo.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Congrats on your new bike, know you will enjoy it :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reading your post reminded me of myself about six months ago.....I too was a HD guy who was reluctant to make the plunge..But after years of prodding from a good friend who was a Wing owner from it's inception, I purchased a new 1800 black metallic 2010....I could not be happier...For me an adjustment was getting used to the rear brake pedal...I had installed an EZ Brake on the HD which I really liked...Since I'm a big guy with long legs and feet it took some acclimation to the Wing....After purchasing the right boots for yourself you'll be in business....Being a dentist with a bad back, I also opted for a Utopian Backrest and Walmart gel seat($20)...I paid bigger bucks for an Airhawk but didn't care for it....Recently put fog lights and a GPS hookup also....There is a virtual plethora of options!!!!! The best advice is ride the bike for a while and you will soon love it....You'll also soon realize the options best suited for YOU....Pay close attention to the fantastic advice given by the many wonderful and knowledgeable riders on this site.....While the Harley is certainly a great experience,, have no regrets....Some of the best riding still awaits you....ENJOY

·
Registered
36 Posts
Congrats on your new wing i got mine three weeks ago. My 3 year extended warranty was 499.00 plus Honda is giving 1000 dollars in accessories at lease thats what got its a liitle more work for your dealer bring it up. I was concerned about seat and foot space but as you ride it all comes together, very comfortable you grow right it to the bike. Not even considering floor boards anymore. A good pair of boots can help with your height.

Good Luck be
safe

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Insurance coverage

Honda is giving me 4yrs. of coverage. I can purchase an add"l 2 yrs. for $600.00. My question is it necessary and is the price fair this will give me a total of 6yrs coverage What are your thoughts???

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Ok Marco: Now It's time for the DOWN SIDE to owning a WING, Ya just can't wipe the big cheesy:D GRIN off your face at the end of the day.
Happy Winging Who knows might meet you on the road some place. Just look for the old guy on a red 1500 with the big cheesy:D grin.
Wait I know of at least 2 other red 1500 riders on the board here. I bet they have that big cheesy:D grin too.
Keep riding and a :D ing.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
59 Posts
dirtdobber is on to something,, don't under estimate the power you get with foot down and a back rest to push against. Without the back rest allthe weight is side to side yet with a handful of brake pushup against the rest you feel atrue grip on the 900 plus lbs.

Plus my wing doesn't seem half as fast with the back rest on you don't have hold on for your life,,, well you do,,,, just don't feel like it.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Congrats on the new bike! As for your question(s). I got my bike 1month ago. I bought the full 84 months worth of warranty. This is something I usually do not do. I don't buy warranties but 7years is a long time and can add up to a lot of miles. To me, and I emphasize, IMHO, I didn't see any sense in adding 1 yr or even 2 but it did make sense to cover myself for 7years so I bought as much as I could. This coming form someone who says "I never buy warranties" can be confusing but you asked so... There you go.

Coincidentally, I just installed risers today! I moved my handlebars 1" higher and 2" closer to the rider. I am 5'6" with a 29"inseam. My first impression is that the change was too extreme . I might go back and readjust but first I will install my Utopia backrest tomorrow. I'll ride and test it out for a couple of weeks then decide about the readjustment.

Enjoy your new ride!

Donald

1 - 18 of 18 Posts