Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up my first contemporary Gold Wing Monday night, in the rain! Its an '03 1800, red, with some chrome options, a CB, and a trailer hitch. What a bike! I fell in love with it in the rain and the 12mile ride home. Smooth, low-end-diesel-like torque, well balanced, creatue comforts as I've never had before, and reverse. I now have almost 100 miles on it and a large portion of the learning curve is over, but there is more to come. I was fighting with finding things in the dark, like the dimmer switch. That stuff will come in time.

My main thought right now is to find the best headset I can get to plug into the intercom/radio system. Are there good, better, best hesadsets for stereo sound? Links?

The next move is to get driving lights for just in front of the engine. I'm sure there is a proper name for those. Are there varying grades of those, as well? I don't want cheap crap! I assume they are plug-and-play with regard to the Honda wiring harness?

Darn shame it was 37 degrees this AM! One issue: The way the factory seat is, it pulls up my pants legs more than my old bike, creating a "cold zone"! Brrr!

Randy

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I've used J&M headsets on my Wings with good success. Not top of the line, but work fine and give good sound quality and intercom between riders. I also have the Honda LED fog lights installed in the lower fairing on my 09 Wing. I went with the LED's for brightness and longevity of the bulbs.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Happy day to you 206!! I'll second the LED lights from Honda, they're what I want.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am having trouble figuring out exactly which J and M to order. I have an HJC helmet that is blue-tooth ready, meaning that it has a pop-out panel to accept the bluetooth attachment. Is the bike compatible with blue-tooth or do I need to add something?

For your fog lights is this a similar set:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...238_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=4

Do they shine the incredible white-blue color like that of a new BMW car?

·
Registered
793 Posts
The biggest drawback of bluetooth is that you have to remember to charge then up from what I've heard. My budget only allows the J&M's.

·
Super Moderator
7,671 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing and yes go with the LED fog lights.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Congrats on the Wing. Whatever you do, just make sure get your parts at Wingstuff. They are the cheapest by a long shot. Just get the VIP membership for the true savings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, kids. Choppin must already know me to call it "PUTZtown"!

I will go for the LED's. I believe in doing it right the first time. Is it a straighforward install or do I need an electrical degree? I assume there is a plug pigtail somewhere on the bike? How did you set up a switch? I see this option:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...238_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=6

I emailed Wingstuff for help with the proper headsets. Phil Chapman was very confident in his recommendations, so I ordered one set. If I like it, I'll get another set as well as another matching HJC helmet. I joined Wingstuff as a member. Wow, do they ever have toys for big boys! I had no idea there were so many add-ons! My wife will see a very expensive Christmas list this year!

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Thanks, kids. Choppin must already know me to call it "PUTZtown"!

I will go for the LED's. I believe in doing it right the first time. Is it a straighforward install or do I need an electrical degree? I assume there is a plug pigtail somewhere on the bike? How did you set up a switch? I see this option:
http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/...238_goldwing_Lighting_Accessories/des/?page=6

I emailed Wingstuff for help with the proper headsets. Phil Chapman was very confident in his recommendations, so I ordered one set. If I like it, I'll get another set as well as another matching HJC helmet. I joined Wingstuff as a member. Wow, do they ever have toys for big boys! I had no idea there were so many add-ons! My wife will see a very expensive Christmas list this year!
My local riding buddy " Rapier " installed the LED lights not long ago. If he can do it, it must be pretty intuitive. He did , however, mar the eye cutout and that " forced " him to get the chrome lens covers ( pity him, as he likes chrome plastic! ) . The only " technical " problem he encountered was not running the wire from the panel switch safely: he developed a short through the wire sheathing. After a call to WingStuff , he located the self-induced problem and corrected it. Other than that I sure can see him coming down the road. Partzguy: You speak Yiddish ?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I haven't gotten the headset for helmet yet...hopefully soon - like next Spring. As for the fog lights, my thoughts are a little different on them. I went with the cheaper hologen lights and they work just fine for me. As for the pant legs running up, not too expensive of a fix, just a pair of rubber bands will do the trick. Happy riding!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Hotleathers.com sells the clip on cuff suspenders for around 10$ Harley has some for around 20$ Just my 2cents worth!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I'll go along with WingStuff.com for the headsets also. I had them put in a set in my own helmet, and they did a great job for less money than some other outfits. The sound quality is great.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts