Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after 49 days and many emails and phone calls, it's finally here!

Now starts the fun :(

There was a lake of motor oil under it in the shippers truck, it left a small puddle in mine. I checked the drain plug, sure enough it's stripped out. :mad: I purchased a product that will, hopefully, repair the threads. Once that is done I can fill it up with oil and try starting it.

The pictures show how a GoldWing can be hauled in a standard pickup.

I had to meet the shipper 160 miles away to get the bike. The route I took was very winding roads and it rode just fine.

I will travel those roads again, on a bike!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Well now you're going to be busy. You have plenty to do. Good Luck & you know where you can find answers when you need them.

Congrats. Now get working.

Who's Kim ?
Silly composer, She's Jim's girl.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SWEET! Nice color too. This is a big day . Who's Kim ?

I knew you'd like the color!
I have no idea who Kim or Jim are, definitely not the idi.., um fo.., wait let's see, I have to be nice :eek: :D person I bought it from.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats. Now get working.
First, I have to get it out of the truck!

I thought about lowering the tailgate, unstrapping it, backup real fast and hit the brakes, but I didn't want to hurt the truck! :eek::eek:

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hey nice wing, congrats

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
A new addition, in the right colour. Best of luck with it. Eric

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
I guess I missed the background thread on this.

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Congrats on your new bike! That has to be an 8' bed, though, right?

Yes, an 8' bed. The shipper had left his tailgate down as he didn't know the stinger for the trailer hitch was removable.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
First, I have to get it out of the truck! :eek::eek:
That's what friends and a cook out are for.. You will be surprised how many folks show up when there is food.... Good luck on the project. Hope all the major parts work. Cosmetics can be easily fixed. Keep us posted with pics along the way...

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looked at the 1500 and swore due to the stripped oil plug. Tried some 'Repair-a-Thread' from NAPA, swore again. Did some cleaning on the chrome while deciding what to do. Looked on the websites of O'Rielly's, Autozone and NAPA and located an oversize oil drain plug at NAPA, after being told by one of their employees they don't carry them. (I wouldn't have purchased the repair goop if he'd had his head out of his a**!) Put the plug in, after almost fouling it up because I thought it was going in crooked. Filled it with oil and tried starting it. Woo Hoo it runs and sounds tight, but the clutch doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Looked at the 1500 and swore due to the stripped oil plug. Tried some 'Repair-a-Thread' from NAPA, swore again. Looked on the websites of O'Reilly's, Autozone and NAPA and located an oversize oil drain plug at NAPA, after being told by one of their employees they don't carry them. (I wouldn't have purchased the repair goop if he'd had his head out of his a**!) Put the plug in, after almost fouling it up because I thought it was going in crooked. Filled it with oil and tried starting it. Woo Hoo it runs and sounds tight, but the clutch doesn't work.
One success at a time. How's the clutch fluid look ?

·
Super Moderator
11,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fluid looks good. The clutch lever pulls hard like a brake. I think the slave cylinder is stuck in the disengaged position. I'm not going to work on it for a while, it's 88 degrees and the bike is in the sun.

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Fluid looks good. The clutch lever pulls hard like a brake. I think the slave cylinder is stuck in the disengaged position. I'm not going to work on it for a while, it's 88 degrees and the bike is in the sun.
10-4. Sleep on it tonight. I seem to recall a fellow who had an oil level issue, walked away from it, and returned with a fresh mind and a full crankcase of oil.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Great job Tank, hope it all works out for many miles to come.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
It's a nice looking Wing it just needs a little TLC.
Stripping out the drain plug threads that's cause some 'Gorilla' has to over torque the bolt and strip the threads out. Bad thing is you cannot use a Timesert because metal particles will be in the engine.
We know one thing Jim & Kim owned the Wing. When I got mine it had Joe & Marie painted on it.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
believe it or not, I have sucessfully used a timesert.
I would not recommend it except as a last resort.
I drilled using grease on the tip of the bit, very carefully removing the drill bit often to remove the chips. the grease held the chips. When the bit was near the end of the hole, I made sure I didn't put any pressure on the drill and when I felt it breaking thru, I pulled back with the grease and the chips with it. I got one finger in there and no chips got in so far as I could tell. It did work but again, only when there was no other choice.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts