Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike just started leaking oil from the vent at the top of the final drive case. Can someone tell me why? I replaced the final drive oil months ago and it was fine and the other day I noticed the leak after a short ride in the very cold!!:confused:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Agree with trike lady, possibly overfilled? combined with the "very cold" you refer to. Assume you used the correct weight oil?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replys. I used the recommended weight for the bike purchased at the local honda dealer. So you think the cold may have had something to do with it because it did not leak till below 30 rides.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well being that I have officially put the bike up yesterday I will be tearing it down any way. Any info would be awesome. Thank you !!!! Good morning as well!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
As soon as I get a chance, I'll ask one of our techs about the leak and see what he says.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Budoka!! I really appreciate that!!!

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Yup, my guy tells me that in the cold if the level is high it will spew it out the breather. He also said it will really flow under extreme heat, only worse. The volume is fair critical; true of all shafties.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ahhh so I will be sure to fill it proper next change and in the mean time drain it to the proper level!! Many thanks I was real nervous about that!!!

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Ahhh so I will be sure to fill it proper next change and in the mean time drain it to the proper level!! Many thanks I was real nervous about that!!!
Yup, my guy tells me that in the cold if the level is high it will spew it out the breather. He also said it will really flow under extreme heat, only worse. The volume is fair critical; true of all shafties.
Overfilled possibly?
Unit may have had some still inside, didn't all come out?
See, I told ya right. Now you can either select Hypoid GL5 Synthetic or Hypoid GL4 Petroleum gear oil. The easy way to get the oil into the GL1500 or even your bike is to use a turkey baster with an attached tube. Put the right amount of ounces into another container and use the baster to get it into the final drive case. Does anyone think I want to disassemble the bike to get to the fill and drain plugs? I know a number of guys that take the right side bag off.
Okay where's my prize for being right?

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I used the Hypoid GL 5 with a piece of plastic hose attached to the bottle! It was kind of a pain but easier than removing the bag!! TY for your input! I just thought it was funny it did not leak till just last week!!

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Cold will do it to the oil up north and down here in Florida the oil expands and comes out the vent at the top. In some shops the techs just drain and fill and then the Wing owners find oil on the floor thinking that they have a bad seal in the final drive.
The hose and turkey baster work well. Do you have a motorcycle jack to lift the bike to a more reasonable height to work on it? It's a big help.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
OK; Now I'm curious. On the 1500 the filler plug is located on the right side of the final drive, to the rear of the axle and below the center line of the axle or looking at it from the end of the axle, I'd say the plug is about 8:00 o'clock or so.
The manual says to fill it to the bottom edge of the fill hole. I can't see if you use this hole how you could over fill it. When the oil reaches the bottom edge it starts to run out. You'd have to be like greased lightning to over fill it enough and get the plug back into over fill it.
So the question for future reference is; where on the 1200 is the fill plug.
Just curious. Haven't changed final drive oil on a 1200 yet, and want to get it right if I ever do.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Okay, there's a drain and a fill plug. There could have been some residual oil in the system. After all it is a labyrinth and a quick drain will leave some in the channels. Most techs do a quick drain and fill and people have found oil under their bike in the morning and they think they now have a bad seal in the final drive.
Let it drain until nothing comes out and turn the rear wheel by hand with the bike in neutral, a little bit more tends to come out. Put the plug in and fill to correct level.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Again thank you for the good info. I saw the post on lifts for bike and that will be my next purchase!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
A lift is a nice addition to the shop.
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
trike lady, your prize is what we all get...heaps and heaps of self esteem:D
I can recall doing gear heel oil changes on my boat outboards. You took out both plugs to drain, and then filled from the bottom until you squeezed enough gear lube in to come out the top hole. Made a heckuva mess, try and get away with that one today.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts