Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is the correct spot for my question??? 2016 goldwing, bottom of the final drive unit: looks similar to a bleeder on a brake cylinder. Has a little oil residue on the bottom of the final drive. What is this ? Is this supposed to be a vent with a hose attached, a drain or what? I want to clean this up and keep it clean. Unit is full of oil. Thanks. (Just got this bike, not familiar with final drive units in goldwings)

·
Super Moderator
9,400 Posts
If I remember correctly it's the drain.

·
Premium Member
23,501 Posts
I'll check on my '08. It is neither a drain nor fill cap. Those are located on the face

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
711 Posts
That's a vent drain. Either the final drive is too full or a seal is bad. Or it may just be some spilled fluid from filling it.
When you say it's full, is the level at the very bottom of the fill plug?
If it's over filled it may be foaming and coming out the vent.

·
Premium Member
23,501 Posts
Time to change the final drive gear lube. Start from scratch. Need help , or is it intuitive ????

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wrenching is easy, just remember to retrieve the drain plug washer from the drain pan before you put the plug back. Recommend an oil transfer suction gun, syringe or hand pump like those used on a marine drive lower unit.

·
Registered
506 Posts
One additional suggestion. A wise man with a lot of experience told me to always remove the filler plug before you remove the drain plug. Seems that sometimes the fill plug is difficult to impossible to remove. If you drain first and cant get the filler open you are stuck. I have never had this problem but I change mine at least once per year. Overkill I know but it is cheap and easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts