Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just joined , a newbie. Traded my 11,000 mile '82 CB750 for a '81 67,000 mile goldwing gl. Was reluctant at first, until I really rode the goldwing. Wow is all I can say, what a smooth ride and faster than spit, WOnder what the 1500's & 1800's are like in the strights.
Hey could one of you tell me if I could swap out my stock final drive for a taller geared one from a different year? I don't like 60 miles per hour at 4000 rpm. I did the same to my CB, went from 43 rear tooth sprocket to a 38 tooth and it helped. There are quite a few final drives on e-bay and I think I read somewhere that starting in '83, the final drive was a taller gearing. WOnder if it will fit my '81?
Thanks in advance and sure glad I made the trade, I am a believer, what a machine. Love the boxer engine and the balence.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania and congrats on your new Wing. Where is home for you?? Don't know much about swapping final drives, but I can tell you if you think your 81 is fast, wait until you ride a 1500/1800. BIG difference.. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Super Moderator
15,237 Posts
hello borsch and welcome to GWOF. the final gearing from my understanding didn't change or not by much. what did change is transmission gears. the '82's have a taller 5th gear and turn about 3400 rpm at 60 mph, '83's have a taller 4th and 5th gear

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply's from TWW and DR Buzzard. I am located in Central Oregon, a small town called Sisters on the eastern slope of the Cascade Mts., Great rideing country in summer. I Like the scripture TWW posted! And one of my favorites....."Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God".
I hope to ride a 1500/1800 some time to feel the difference in accelaration. Thanks Dr. Buzzard for the info, the bike will remain original then, swaping a trans is also swaping the engine and this one purrs and is not addicted to smoking or seeping/leaking oil. Cannot wait to ride again. And thanks to Mr. Honda and his vision for this configuration of frame/wheels/engine and transmission, all rolled into two wheeled go power. If it could only sprout gold wings for short flights and soft landings over rough patches of pavement!

·
Super Moderator
7,665 Posts
borsch,
Welcome to the forum and greetings from Florida.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome from Alberta Borsch. I can understand your being pleased with the GL, I had an '82 750 myself and rode a buddy's Interstate and I was hooked immediately (and I loved my 750). It's far easier to change the ratios on a chain drive bike than a shaftie since parts are so easy to come by. The 1100 has plenty of legs as she sits, and the fuel mileage and range is very respectable. One advantage of the higher revs is roll-on passing power, no need to stir the cog box, just twist and go. Sounds like a good ride you found, enjoy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome from Canada. My 04 has a final drive of 2.53. My mech tells me that some of the earlier bikes had final drives of 2.93 and 3.10. He didn't know if they would swap/fit but he was going to look into it. I have not been in to see him since so can't pass on any more info. This may be a starting point thou.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Hello borsch, Welcome to the forum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts