Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi new to the GWOF and have just bought my second GW a '04 1800. Lost the first one on a dark and stormy night in Mt. A corner and I had a disagreement on which direction I should be going. The corner won. They always do. Was wondering if anyone knows of a different ratio final drive. I'm looking for a lower number, higher drive. Want to drop my RPM by about 500. This will translate into better fuel mileage and less wear and tear on the engine. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello cdnrider and welcome to GWOF. i'm not sure if anyone makes a gear to change the ratio in the final drive

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Hi there CDNRIDER and welcome. Wing engines and their associated gearing and final drive ratios are designed to give the best overall performance in all situations. The roll-on power and acceleration on the highway at speed is fantastic, no need to stir the gearbox to pass nearly anything. Lots of owners think 1st gear is too short, but there is a 6000 rpm redline that is fully usable, and short-shifting any transmission is not good for the engine if you place unecessarily heavy loads on them (lugging). It is in fact harder on an engine to lug it under load than to run it at high rpm. I believe the final drive ratio for 1800's is 3.09 or 3.10, not sure about the 1500's and the 1200's were 2.83 I believe. They needed a kick down to muster any spirited passing oomph. I don't think anyone has a different gear set available for the 1800 finals.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
CDNRIDER, welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. There are a number of folks on the forum from Canada. I have to agree with budoka on this one. I manage to get over 40mph at around 70mph which I think is reasonable for the Wing. Although a 6th gear might give you a few less revs, the Wing engines have gone well over 200k miles without major problems. So don't worry about wearing it out. Just go ride and enjoy.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts