Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am trying to change the oil in my final drive on my 2012 'wing. The 2010 manual says "remove the fill plug, remove the drain plug, drain the oil.... well, I can't even get my hand to the fill plug where it's at. Do you need to remove the mufflers? Maybe the saddlebags? It sure sounds simple in the manual, but in the real world, what's the trick? Thanks for the help, and yes, I did a search but nothing came up so guess I'm the first idiot to have this problem....

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
No need to remove anything. The bottom plug is the drain and the top plug is the fill hole. I used some fish tank plastic tube on the end of the fill bottle to fill the final drive after it was drained.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drain?

I got the plastic tube for the oil... the question was, how the heck to you get to the plug? I can't hardly get my fingers on it, let alone a wrench. How do you get to the fill plug?????

·
Registered
741 Posts
I don't think the 2012 would be any different as the mufflers look to be in the same location. I just put my bike up on the center stand, remove the drain plug and let drain. the fill plug is slightly above and to the rear not far from the drain plug. Could it be that you think the fill plug is near the top? I just use a large syringe for filling front fork suspension tubes to fill. Yes, it looks impossible to fill but as long as you have something to squeeze in the oil, you're set. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fill Plug

Yep, that's what I was referring too.... only mine have these huge saddlebags in the way... I can almost get a finger to the plug, nothing more, nothing less.... but it does seem like my mufflers sit lower and are right in front of the fill plug.....now, if mine looked like the pictures, how easy it would be....
Thanks for the info, though

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it!!!!

Figured out what the problem was.... I had the bike on my ride on lift and secured with tie downs. This compressed the rear shock enough that the rear end was obscured by the mufflers.
Once I took it off the lift and put it on the center stand, the rear wheel dropped enough to expose the fill plug.
Thanks for the help.... I guess I overlooked the "put the bike on the centerstand"....
Jeff:D

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Thank you Mother Honda for the built-in jack stand. My VTX required a scissors jack and wood blocks to change the oil.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
while we are on the subject of changing the diff oil what brand are you using

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Who me? As far as me, I had some Yamalube gear oil left over from my VTX days.
"First Oil Change" this weekend, I'm amped. The "BOOK" refers to using a torque wrench with the Oil Filter. I have a 3 in 1 wrench from wingstuff. How exactly do i use a torque wrench to install an Oil Filter:confused:? and to stay in line with the thread...should I change the differential oil?:D

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
i've never used a torque wrench to do a filter change i tighten the filter by hand then 1/4 turn with the filter wrench

Reactions: Hondaholic

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
while we are on the subject of changing the diff oil what brand are you using
I use the Hondaline oil. Just changed mine before the Shanksville trip..

·
Registered
741 Posts
Honda synthetic

·
Registered
109 Posts
Here's my anal method
Every shaft bike I've bought brand new ST1300, VFR1200 and my GW - I have changed the diff oil after riding it home from my dealership. So my first diff and oil change was within 25 miles. Each of those bikes' diff oil were a nasty grey with metal grit. I use Bel Ray Gear Saver synthetic 80/90 Hypoid

My oil change was done within the following schedule since new: 1st 100 miles, 300, 600, 900, 1200, 1500, 2000 then every 3K miles thereafter. Used Honda GN4 petroleum based oil through 24K. Just switched to semi-synthetic the other day.

Diff oil is changed every oil change. You'd be surprised to see how gritty and dirty the diff oil is up until 9K miles.

Many people say I am wasting my time and $$ on such needless and frequent oil changes. :p Time? - I have plenty of it, $$ - ? I get my oil dirt cheap and some times free.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Why are you changing final drive so soon??????
Have you ever seen your diff oil at the Honda recommended interval? :eek: As previously mentioned - it is nasty through the first 10K - that has been my personal experience, therefore my frequent changes. Besides what does it hurt? ..most importantly it's my personal preference. :)

How often do you recommend?
Here's Honda's recommendation:

Engine Oil: Replace every 8K miles
Diff Oil: Inspect every 8K miles and Replace every 24K miles - YIKES!

·
Registered
905 Posts
Just wondering. I changed mine when I purchased my bike. Check it every now and then when checking bike. Honey gold just like it was when I refilled it. Interesting thing is, some of our police cars will be dirty after 10,000 miles and some are just as clean when serviced.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Just wondering. I changed mine when I purchased my bike. Check it every now and then when checking bike. Honey gold just like it was when I refilled it. Interesting thing is, some of our police cars will be dirty after 10,000 miles and some are just as clean when serviced.
I guess it just depends how hard you ride or drive.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts