Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!
New to the Goldwing scene, after 35 years of sportbikes, roadracing, motocross, and adventures.
Just picked up a 2013 F6B, with 4600 miles on the clock. Just because I like wrenching on new equipment and for piece of mind, took it upon myself to change the oil/filter, and final drive (all Amsoil, including the FD ((Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90)).
I had someone mention on another site that the FD shouldn’t be changed until 24k miles due to additives In the fluid from Honda. Is this accurate?
Main reason for wanting to change out the oil in the FD was age, almost 9 year old motorcycle, I’m more worried about oil degradation.
Should I have left it alone?
Thanks for any & all insight!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've asked three Honda-trained Goldwing mechanics...all from different dealerships....and all have told me that the 'special additives' story was only a myth and there was no difference whatsoever.

Personally, I drain and replace final drive oil every time I change the motor oil. The approved Honda hypoid oil is cheap as beans to start with, and the capacity is only 4oz. Takes an extra 15 minutes to do it along with everything else....so, why not?

Incidentally, the drain plugs for both the crankcase oil and the FD oil are identical. Call up WingStuff...or your favourite similar parts vendor...and get yourself two magnetic drain plugs. Install them the next time you change oils. If anything starts grinding or deteriorating, the debris will collect on the plugs and you'll know about it right away. Cheap parts for peace-of-mind.

ANY 9 year old oil should be gotten out of an engine or gearbox ASAP regardless of mileage. At that age, it's doing you more harm and precious little good.

.....sT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've asked three Honda-trained Goldwing mechanics...all from different dealerships....and all have told me that the 'special additives' story was only a myth and there was no difference whatsoever.

Personally, I drain and replace final drive oil every time I change the motor oil. The approved Honda hypoid oil is cheap as beans to start with, and the capacity is only 4oz. Takes an extra 15 minutes to do it along with everything else....so, why not?

Incidentally, the drain plugs for both the crankcase oil and the FD oil are identical. Call up WingStuff...or your favourite similar parts vendor...and get yourself two magnetic drain plugs. Install them the next time you change oils. If anything starts grinding or deteriorating, the debris will collect on the plugs and you'll know about it right away. Cheap parts for peace-of-mind.

ANY 9 year old oil should be gotten out of an engine or gearbox ASAP regardless of mileage. At that age, it's doing you more harm and precious little good.

.....sT
Ah, thank you! I’m in complete agreement.
That’s exactly what I did, but used Amsoil Severe Gear 75-90 in the final drive.

·
Registered
408 Posts
How can you tell if the final drive is running smoother. And I am wondering how many change out the rear end oil in the cars and trucks at every oil change. My manual says replace it every 24K miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It’s nine year old oil. I’m sure that along with the engine oil change made a big difference. Also, coupled with the fact it sat for a while and now has fresh gas in it, rides noticeably better, much better. For instance, it shifted clunkier, and was tough to find the smooth shift points, and shifting was notchy. Now it shifts smooth, not as herky/jerky, and overall better ride quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How can you tell if the final drive is running smoother. And I am wondering how many change out the rear end oil in the cars and trucks at every oil change. My manual says replace it every 24K miles.
If the bike were 30 years old with low miles, you still think 24k mile service interval was a good idea?
Honda should’ve put 24k or (something like) 5 years.
Oil doesn’t last forever no matter how good it is.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why is it that some folks feel like it would be "sin" to replace any oil's, filter, liquids, fluids, any soon'rrr than what the "good book" suggests????? If I mentioned how many times, and how often, I have replaced all these fluids in my machine, some of these folk, would have heart attack ...............:LOL:

Ronnie

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why is it that some folks feel like it would be "sin" to replace any oil's, filter, liquids, fluids, any soon'rrr than what the "good book" suggests????? If I mentioned how many times, and how often, I have replaced all these fluids in my machine, some of these folk, would have heart attack ...............:LOL:

Ronnie
EXACTLY.
My next fluid change is tomorrow and that radiator. 9 year old antifreeze...Not good!
Guess some folks think these fluids can just last forever regardless of age.

·
Registered
940 Posts
While it's good to change oil, final drive and coolant, don't forget the brake and clutch fluid. Bleeding the brakes is not hard, just follow the correct procedure. Clutch is a little more time consuming, since you have to remove the lower cowl and evap cannister.
You can change the coolant without removing the lower cowl, but it's easier with the cowl removed. That way you're halfway to the clutch bleed.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hey all!
New to the Goldwing scene, after 35 years of sportbikes, roadracing, motocross, and adventures.
Just picked up a 2013 F6B, with 4600 miles on the clock. Just because I like wrenching on new equipment and for piece of mind, took it upon myself to change the oil/filter, and final drive (all Amsoil, including the FD ((Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-90)).
I had someone mention on another site that the FD shouldn’t be changed until 24k miles due to additives In the fluid from Honda. Is this accurate?
Main reason for wanting to change out the oil in the FD was age, almost 9 year old motorcycle, I’m more worried about oil degradation.
Should I have left it alone?
Thanks for any & all insight!
I have an 08 and have changed the FD oil five times in 85000 miles. Bikes still runs like new. It's a lot easier to refill when the rear tire is out so whenever I change tires I do the FD oil

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have an 08 and have changed the FD oil five times in 85000 miles. Bikes still runs like new. It's a lot easier to refill when the rear tire is out so whenever I change tires I do the FD oil
Hondas recommendation is every 24,000 miles. I do mine every 4th oil change. About 14,000

·
Registered
408 Posts
My comment about changing every 24K is what the book says to do. I was actually commenting about those who change with every engine oil change. Which is a waste of not only the product but the time. I don't know about you but my 05 muffler is in the way of changing my FD oil. Removing the rear wheel doesn't help. But, that is a good idea to change when replacing the rear wheel because it gets about 15K miles to wear out. No one did answer the question I asked about how can you feel the smoothness of the FD oil change. Now, I want to ask. If you buy a pint of FD oil and only use 4 ounces that would be 4 times per bottle of oil. And if you do this once a year. Do you use that last 4 ounces 4 years later? But, then again, I've never read where there is an expiration date on the container.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Changing brake fluid and engine oil makes sense.

As for the final, there really isn't excessive heat or engine contaminants to worry about, so although you didn't harm anything you probably didn't accomplish much by changing the lube.

Of course, brake fluid is hydroscopic so it must be changed both for reliability and safety.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a used 2015 in very good shape with 25k. At 35k and the fluid was full, a bearing and seal went bad and I replaced the entire final drive. I went with a take off unit on a 3 wheeler which was new. Still a very expensive lesson! Better to be safe than sorry!

·
Registered
35 Posts
My comment about changing every 24K is what the book says to do. I was actually commenting about those who change with every engine oil change. Which is a waste of not only the product but the time. I don't know about you but my 05 muffler is in the way of changing my FD oil. Removing the rear wheel doesn't help. But, that is a good idea to change when replacing the rear wheel because it gets about 15K miles to wear out. No one did answer the question I asked about how can you feel the smoothness of the FD oil change. Now, I want to ask. If you buy a pint of FD oil and only use 4 ounces that would be 4 times per bottle of oil. And if you do this once a year. Do you use that last 4 ounces 4 years later? But, then again, I've never read where there is an expiration date on the container.
I don't think lubricant degrades with time necessarily but with friction and temperature which is not a factor on the shelf. I do not think that lube oil has a shelf life.
Changing brake fluid and engine oil makes sense.

As for the final, there really isn't excessive heat or engine contaminants to worry about, so although you didn't harm anything you probably didn't accomplish much by changing the lube.

Of course, brake fluid is hydroscopic so it must be changed both for reliability and safety.
I change my hydraulics every 24 months religiously.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts