Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Filling the gas tank

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  budoka 
#1 ·
I posted this over on GWRRA forum, but didn't really get much for answers. Maybe you guys can help.
Is there anything I can do to make my '95 GL1500 easier to fuel up?
When it gets "full", I can stand and play with the handle, on and off, over and over, until I get another 1 to 1.5 gals in it. Takes forever, and my back starts hurting.
If I run it until the fuel light comes on, it only takes about 3 gal., then I force and bubble and dribble and cough and eventually it will take roughly 5 gals. Takes forever to get enough gas to run 200 miles.
Is there a cure, or do I just have to "man up!" and live with it? Thanks for any suggestions. :confused:

#2 ·
I have a GL-1500 and it doesn't take long to fill up, there's the tab in the neck and I fill it until it touches the bottom of the tab. I don't push the nozzle all the way in, I keep the tip level with the botttom of the tab and let it fill and then I check to see if is close to or touching the tab.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply, and yes, I can fill to that point in just a couple of minutes, but at that level I don't have even 5 gals in the 6.3 gal tank. I usually would get only about 130 miles, and the fuel light will come on again.
At 35 mpg it takes 6 gals to go 210 miles; 5 gals gets me only 175. It should be possible to get farther than that on a tank.

#5 ·
I may be a spoon in a drawer of knives here, but it's my understanding once the gas is near the top of the neck the tank is full. If when you fill it to that level and the low fuel light comes on in 130 miles than there is a problem with the gauge/sending unit. A Wing should easily be able to get around 200 +/- miles to a tank.

#6 ·
If you spend any time at 70 mph (or over 3,000 RPM) a 1500 will begin to suck down some fuel and I did notice a big drop in mpg pulling my trailer. Granted at almost 93,000 miles, I should sync the carbs and a whole lot of things, but still see 40-41 mpg, but don't rule out 32 mpg if I run it hard. I've seen 150-160 miles to a tank (I have no low fuel light on my Interstate) and pushed it to 225-230 on that same 5.1 - 5.6 gal.

#7 ·
looks like from what i've seen on here,most of our 1500's have sending unit issues.When my low lite comes on i can run another 75-100 miles.THEN,i'm getting 6+ gallons in her.Mine gets 34mpg at 80mph. Over 40 at 70mph. If ur not into fooling with the sender,may i suggest a 1/2 gallon can be taken with you,note when the lite comes on,run her empty.now you know how far she will go.As far as putting fuel in,i sit on her,let nozzle spring rest on edge of lip,fill at moderate speed,goes right up to top,no problem.

#8 ·
As for your filling issues, try putting the bike on the centre stand and it should take more fuel than jiggling it on the side stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.