Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forum but could not find a thread that answered this question (which might be due to my poor search skills), so I'll ask it here ...

I understand that it is possible to import pre-planned routes into the 2023 GoldWing Tour - and likely on earlier years as well - the 2023 Navigation System manual says so, on page 28
"❙Importing a Route Set
You can import a route to the navigation system via USB.
1. Connect the USB. 2 P. 9
2. Select Import Route on the Route Menu List screen. P. 27 ..."

However, the manual does not say what file format(s) the Navigation system can accommodate. So I don't know if the system will accept routes made in Google maps or Garmin Basecamp or the Scenic app or something else.

If anyone knows, I will certainly appreciate them sharing that info. Thank you!

· Registered
99 Posts
Deja-Vu :) You can create your routes in Google maps but the export file is a KML format. I import the KML files into Garmin Basecamp, then export that file which creates the GPX file you can use on the navigation system.

I have found Google map routes the best to provide a GPX file exported from Basecamp to give me the turn by turn routes I plan without my Garmin 595 mapping recalculating my treks.

· Registered
46 Posts
.GPX

Sometimes I plan my route in google maps. When I do, I copy the google map URL and paste it into Scenic app website. The route is automatically uploaded on my Scenic app for use with Apple Car Play and can be downloaded as a .GPX file for upload to the bike's Navi.

Sete, you will also have to learn some of the quirks of the Wing's Navi.
One is to make sure to place the waypoint on the side of the road you are riding on (seriously, you need to do that).
Another is to have enough waypoints to get the route you want but not too many so you are overloaded (takes practice)
Another is how to clear the way points while riding - it isn't obvious or in the books.
Congrats on your new 2023!

· Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Tour, candy ardent red
461 Posts
And…the manual also says, I think, that imported files from other non Honda sources may not transfer accurately into the Navi system. I learned that the hard way and now I only use the Honda Trip Planner.

· Registered
3 Posts
.GPX

Sometimes I plan my route in google maps. When I do, I copy the google map URL and paste it into Scenic app website. The route is automatically uploaded on my Scenic app for use with Apple Car Play and can be downloaded as a .GPX file for upload to the bike's Navi.

Sete, you will also have to learn some of the quirks of the Wing's Navi.
One is to make sure to place the waypoint on the side of the road you are riding on (seriously, you need to do that).
Another is to have enough waypoints to get the route you want but not too many so you are overloaded (takes practice)
Another is how to clear the way points while riding - it isn't obvious or in the books.
Congrats on your new 2023!
I am new to both the forum and GWs - I have a 2023 GW DCT Tour - so how do you clear a way point while riding?

· Registered
461 Posts
The manual does talk about adding waypoints but I can’t find anything in the manual about deleting waypoints.

When you are navigating and bring up the menu on the bottom of the screen, the far left option is “Delete (or Clear?) Waypoint” but the option only clears the entire route, so it is labeled wrong. The 2021 manual says that button is labeled “Clear Guidance” but it is not. Interestingly, that button on the 2018 GW is labeled correctly.

Another thing I discovered is that the nav system will not navigate to the next waypoint if you miss a waypoint. For example, I enabled a route while sitting in my driveway. Then I rode 3 miles off the route to get gas. From there I went straight to the route but the nav kept taking me back to my house where the route started. Lesson: you have to be at the starting point when you start a route. You might call that a nuance but I call it a nuisance.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the very helpful replies. I'm going to have to spend a lot of time with the Navigation system manual, and "playing" with the system, to get to know how to use it, before I go on a trip. I don't want to delete an entire route when all I want to do is delete a waypoint.

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
I know there is a way to do it. I've figured it out a while back, but haven't tried lately. Seems to me, while riding past a waypoint it kept trying to take me back to it. I hit the menu while moving and one of the options was clear waypoint. But that's from a memory over a year old on my 2021.

· Registered
461 Posts
Crownfire, I think you agreed with what I posted…

I looked at Scenic and apparently auto zoom does not work on that system yet. It also looks like you have to touch the app’s screen to do things like zoom in and out by “pinching”. The developer does seem to be genuinely interested in making it better.

Sete Bond…question - if you are navigating along a route toward your destination, why would you want to delete a waypoint? You probably have a good reason, I just can’t figure it out.

· Registered
5 Posts
it's important at times to delete a way point that you missed b/c the nav system takes you back there and won't give up.
Just to avoid that from happening, I many time, if I have a doubt, delete the way point just before I get to it so I will not be forced to ride the 100 feet to directly hit it.
I always use the wing nav and another system on my phone. Google maps is very good for "the next point" but I also use "my route app" when I im abroad. There are many good navigation systems for my Android (please no apple/android wars) and different ppl will like something special in each.
All in all, my sense for a better route while riding a planned route, helped me many time to make my trip more pleasant, and if you get a little lost - even better.

· Registered
461 Posts
There are pros and cons between Harleys and Hondas. I’ve had two great Harleys so I can speak to both sides. While the GW screen is much nicer, the Harley nav system is better in some respects, like you can “skip next waypoint” while moving. I don’t understand when things are a common practice, like skipping/deleting a waypoint and auto zoom, that navigation systems can’t include and make them work.

· Registered
461 Posts
There’s an old post by crownfire where he says to delete a waypoint, press Enter in the nav menu, then scroll up to select the waypoint that you want to delete. The only option I see on my ‘21, after pressing the Enter button while in the nav screen, is to “clear guidance” which stops all navigation. If it’s possible to scroll up I’ve never seen it.

Ah hah! Pages 57-59 in the 2021 nav manual shows how to delete a waypoint “while enroute”! Now…I’ve never tried it before and there is some confusion in the manual as the manual says that deleting a waypoint deletes the destination!

On Page 58 it says to delete a waypoint go to Page 59…

On Page 59:
DELETING A DESTINATION
1. Select ‘Delete Waypoints’ on the ‘Edit Option’ screen.
2. Select the destination to delete.

So, in summary…
Delete waypoint
Delete destination
Delete waypoint
Delete destination

WTF?

Honda, I volunteer to edit your manuals so that they make sense. And while you’re contemplating that, why not put the table of contents back in the 2021 owner’s manual?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts