Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 Goldwing trike, 45000 miles. Leaving Cruising The Coast in Mississippi, we stopped and filled up, always use premium. We didn’t make a mile when the FI light came on. Started running rough, temp started climbing, pulled over and it killed. Started right back up. Thinking bad gas. Got it home, drained gas, put fresh gas, seafoam. Runs good until it warms up then same thing. After much googling, Clymer manual, etc. I brought it to the dealer. They were able to pull the code for right knock sensor. My question is can bad fuel cause all of this? ECM ? Or just coincidence.
Thanks for any ideas.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I do not know if a Knock Sensor failure can cause the issues you are experiencing but I have read of dozens of issues with the ECM on older GL1800's failing internally. The resultant codes that have been shown were 25 and 26. Swapping the sensors from side to side should tell you if the individual sensor is at fault. Normally it doesn't. I have only read of one sensor that was actually bad out of the dozens of complaints of code 25 and 26.

I'd suggest having the code cleared and swapping the left and right sensors. Then ride it again to see if the code comes back.

Reactions: Techdude2000

·
Registered
3 Posts
2005 Goldwing trike, 45000 miles. Leaving Cruising The Coast in Mississippi, we stopped and filled up, always use premium. We didn’t make a mile when the FI light came on. Started running rough, temp started climbing, pulled over and it killed. Started right back up. Thinking bad gas. Got it home, drained gas, put fresh gas, seafoam. Runs good until it warms up then same thing. After much googling, Clymer manual, etc. I brought it to the dealer. They were able to pull the code for right knock sensor. My question is can bad fuel cause all of this? ECM ? Or just coincidence.
Thanks for any ideas.
Just about guaranteed it's the computer.
I know firsthand.
Get a new one through Honda.
I had hit a speed bump about 10 minutes before the light.
Tried 2 used ones and they both died.
Around $700 for a new one.... working great.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts