Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be traveling to Maine and Nova Scotia in about 6 weeks. One leg of the trip is likely to include a ferry crossing.

My question is about tying down the bike. I have never tied down a bike, much less on a ferry.

What is the proper way to tie down an 1800?

Thank you.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Use the side stand with the bike in first. Get the large block from the side near the front of the ferry or ask the mate for the largest block, this will be about 6" high in graduations of approx. 1". Place this under the right side of the bike under the drivers pegs and use the ferry supplied tie straps to go over the seat and down to the tie hooks on either side of the bike. You may want to put something over the seat like I did. The mates will be glad to help, just go easy on the tension on the strap of you can break the seat pan.

·
Registered
73 Posts
smooth ferry ride

We have crossed many times from the main land to Vancouver Island and have never had to use anything else but the graduated blocks.If the weather was a little rough we made sure the bike was in gear. I do not remember ever seeing places to tie down, maybe they were there and I missed them. Be very careful on the boat decks if they ar wet and the metal portion of the ramps. Have an amazing trip that part of Canada is as nice as the West coast

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys! I would have assumed that tying down is standard procedure on a ferry. We are not crossing BIG water, but it's certainly big enough to get the boat rolling if its windy. It is good to know that the blocks offer good stability.

Anyway, I have no experience with this, and I appreciate your comments. Thank you.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Nosaj - What ferry will you be crossing? Some of the small open ferry's do not have tie downs but the bigger ones should. Send me a PM with your plans and I will find out for you. If you need any help with anything with planning or while in Nova Scotia just let me know. When are you coming? There is a great motorcycle touring guide for our Province that I could send to you if you would like.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts