Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my situation. Years ago, (30 or so) I rode daily until my bike was stolen, always thought the big Wing had commuter potential.

Why you ask. Well, it was big, hard to miss on the road, quiet, and the few I got to ride were very comfortable and seemed to have plenty of power. The folks that were riding them claimed that the engine could go over 100K miles easily. Bingo! I thought a commuter for life.

Today while at school I spotted and older wing probably an 84 or 85, (it had no badges of any kind not even too sure of the motor size) with just a plastic windshield, almost naked by normal wing standards I suppose. And I was once again struck by the idea that these bikes would be the uber commuter.

So tell my folks was the wing I spotted just a fluke. Did all those early 80's Wings find their way into parts yards, or are they still a viable commuter choice?

I remember being in the showroom in 82 and I thought the wing on the floor was just about perfect. It had a windjammer a small rack on the rear with a huge bag.

I just read Cantankerous' thread below and I am startled to learn that the GL1000 has mushroomed into an 1800! I cannot believe you would need that much power. Do these gigantasaurs have reverse?

BTW I live in Spokane, WA and would love to meet anyone who is willing to give me the skinny on these old girls.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Yes the Goldwing has certainly changed over the years.
The GL1800 comes with reverse as does the GL1500 Aspencade and SE.
There are plenty of older GL's still taking long trips or commuting, there are some older Wings that have been lovingly restored and are show bikes.
The History.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool Video

I did not realize that wings came fully dressed so soon. In my mind the fancy fairings and bags were options, but based on the video I was clearly wrong.

Is it even possible to find an older wing without all the xtras?

·
Registered
123 Posts
I commute daily (well, anytime the chance of rain is <50%) about 25 miles each way on my 1984 Aspencade. Besides the full fairing protection I like all the luggage space - I can take my briefcase and gym bag and still have room to stop at the grocery store on the way home. All that plus 40 - 45 mpg... what's not to love?

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
I did not realize that wings came fully dressed so soon. In my mind the fancy fairings and bags were options, but based on the video I was clearly wrong.

Is it even possible to find an older wing without all the xtras?
yes it is very possable to find a nekked wing, they were all nekked until '80 when you could buy them dressed or nekked. '84 is the last year for a nekked wing ( gl 1200s ). i am looking ( but not very hard ) for a nekked wing '79 - '84. try here for a nation wide look http://claz.org/ or craigslist.org has state by state listings, city by city too

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
If this blasted weather ever cooperates, I'll be riding mine as a commuter. There are lots of the older Wings available, Many for $1,500 or less.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies folks; Some history and a Question

Way back when I owned a 1978 Suzuki 550 with a windjammer, a small rack on the back with a small trunk, and a tank bag. I would like to have similar accessories on a wing. What I loved about that bike was the gas mileage, comfort of the windjammer while on the highway or raining, and it was amazing how much I could stuff into my tank bag and rear trunk. I went all over the western U.S. and Canada with that bad boy. :D

Plus it made an excellent commuter. My reasoning for wanting a wing now is I remember how comfortable and quiet those older wings were. Plus let's face it, I am 30 years older now :eek: and really don't feel the need to scream down the highway at 90 + mph anymore. Not only that, but to me, those old wings kind of had a regal look to them.

Cantankerous I'm with you on our weather. One of my students told me that we have had the coldest and wettest April, May ever. Not too sure if she was correct or not but I would not be surprised if that were true.

I spent a fair amount of time on the net last night reading this and a couple of other bike forums and it appears that the 1200 seems to appeal to more folks than either the original 1000 or 1100. What is driving me crazy is that no one seems to really elucidate why. Can anyone post a link or a resource that might help me understand the differences between these models.

BTW I am a member of several other forums and visited three other wing forums before joining this one. While it may not be the largest it certainly had the friendliest atmosphere and what appears to be the most helpful posters.:)

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
I wish I could quickly locate the information about the changes for 1984, the first year of the 1200. There were several changes to the design that made the bike more stable and enjoyable to ride. If I can find the articles, I will photocopy them and send them to you, if you like.

(I really need to get my stacks of books organized!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks! and about those books

(I really need to get my stacks of books organized!)

This is precisely why I am spending my break between Spring and Summer quarters in my office. I have it "organized" currently and yet I realise the need to do some sorting / discarding / re-organization to make my days a wee bit easier. On the plus side I will be able to enter all my grades this afternoon!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Welcome to the forum, like you, i am fairly new here. As for older wings, you can find good deals. Just picked up an 85 Aspencade a couple of weeks ago for $ 1300, it runs like a new. Ride it to work, after work, and on weekends i don't have my boys. Planning two trips this summer, one to Michigan, one to Tennesee. Me personnelly, i like older wings better(less plastic), but have loved wings since i was a teenager. Rde safe all.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sounds like a screamin deal to me

Earlier today I was looking through ebail and I noticed that the mid-west seems to be chock full of old wings for decent prices.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Talked to a buddy today that said he knew where a GL 1100 was for only $500. Needs a starter and battery(that he knows for sure), so i'm going to look up this bike and see if it's still for sale.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an 81 gl1100, Interstate that is "naked" have put 10,000 miles on it in the last 15 months, and ride even in dicy weather. Mileage varies from 40 to 47 depending on length of trip and how urgent the need is to get to where I'm going. Also have a'77 gl1000, that is also "naked " and custom as well, has FI and late model clutch with hydro clutch instead of cable. Will have it on the road very soon. Check it out at Dean's Naked Wings @Blogspot.com, to see some pics. Deancat in Seattle

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a 1985 Interstate, It is a daily rider 70miles round trip to work, Weekend rider every weekend, and have put on over 14,000 in a little over a year. Are they good rides I would say absolutely!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Great work on Wings Dean

Just checked out your blog. I am envious of your metalworking skills. The last few years I have accumulated some woodworking tools and am only now getting the hang of it. Looks to me like you have a ton of ability. Can't wait to see what happens to that yellow 1100!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts