Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI-GUYS
I have a 81 Standard and I'am replaceing both the fan switch and the temp. gauge sending unit. My question is I have the o-ring seals for both , but do I need any other type of thread sealer ?

RIDE-SAFE

JIM

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't believe Honda used any sealers when they put it together, but what would it hurt if you use it sparingly? As long as it doesn't leak.

I've never heard of anyone changing sending units before? Maybe your 7v regulator is bad or has bad contacts?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tested both switches in a pan of boiling water with an ohm meter attached, and followed directions from the manual, both failed the test. I only took the bike for a short test drive because it was running so bad, but I do know that the temp. gauge didn't work at all, as far as the fan goes I don't remember if it came on , but I did test the fan and it works ok. Unless I did the test incorrectly I'am not taking any chances and replaced both switches.What is the 7V reguator?
Thanks for the info.

RIDE-SAFE

JIM

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The temp gauge never moved but I know for sure the gas gauge does work. Since the gas gauge works does this mean I'am ok with the 7v power ?
Thanks for the help.

JIM

·
Registered
15 Posts
7v goes to both gauges, and the ground for each is a sensor/switch. If the temp gauge doesn't work at all, I would try to ground the temp switch and see if the gauge goes full scale. If it doesn't, you would have to look for a broken wire and/or replace the gauge.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Fan switch?

I just got spare a fan switch still in the housing for my 1200.:)
I haven't tested it yet,but, I did remove the switch from the housing to clean it & test it later; The only sealer is the o-ring..no sign of sealer on the threads. I'm thinking the switch needs to ground to the body/housing to work properly. Applying sealer to the threads may inhibit this function:eek:...that's MY story and I'm sticking to it!....LOL:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts