Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JUST CAME BACK FROM A 30 MILE RIDE 75 DEG. 2010 WING 6700 MILES
AS I FUMBLED WITH THE GARAGE DOOR OPENER THE FAN CAME ON I pulled into the garage and turned the key off and the fan still ran the temp gauge was below half by a mark. I pulled the fan fuse and it stopped. I put the fuse in and it ran. I then pulled the bike back on th road and did a slow pass around the block maybe a mile and the fan ran all the time. I parked it and pulled the fuse. Ill try the fuse in a hour or so when its cold to see what happened. Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts
Check the #3 Fan Control Relay it may have stayed closed.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
I was digging through the Service Manual this morning for anything related to this. As of this moment the only " troubleshooting " I can find is for engine running too hot. The fan control relay referred to by trike lady is of course located under the seat. Obviously I am not a experienced schematic interpreter, but it is interesting and technically bewildering to me to note how the coil side of one relay is related to the switch side of a different relay. Your problem is , of course, a warranty related issue; but that should not stop us from taking a stab at it before it is turned over to Honda. Regardless of who corrects it the important lesson is what was corrected.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After waiting a few hours I replaced the fuse and the fan ran. I pulled the seat and removed the relay block and the the fan relay row of relays, the blue tab. I pulled the fan relay reseated it and every thing is fine. I reassembled the bike and rode it to work 26 miles the morning with the outside temp at about 61 deg. So far so good. My only concern is when the fans starts that it will stop on its' own like it should. If not I'll replace the relay.
All this just when I was convinced that this bike was perfect.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Hey, it's still perfect, just a few minor glitches. Don't let it ruin your day.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
There is such a beast called "residual magnetism " where the activated coil holds its magnetic field beyond the applied current. Most of the time a good whack with a sledge hammer will fix it for the time being, but in this case I would try a new relay if warranted.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
There is such a beast called "residual magnetism " where the activated coil holds its magnetic field beyond the applied current. Most of the time a good whack with a sledge hammer will fix it for the time being, but in this case I would try a new relay if warranted.
I sure hope he posts some pics of him swinging away whacking the side of his Goldwing with a SLEDGE HAMMER......:eek::eek::rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I wish I still had some residual magnetism.

Anyone got an opinion about aftermarket relays? I just spent most of the day at work to by a starter relay for oem. I did quivver for a minute at the one on Ebay for 1/3 of the price.

·
Super Moderator
7,661 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
It's a 2010 it's under warranty, have the dealer fix it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts