Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2,494.8 miles, Oct 31-Nov 09. Overnight: Eufaula, AL, Biloxi, MS, Houma, LA (2 nights), Abbeville, LA, Lake Charles, LA, Natchez, MS, Cleveland, MS, Hamilton, AL. Had a great time.
Day 1: Eufaula, AL visit my Mom (92 yrs. young).
Day 2: Biloxi, MS celebrate our granddaughter's 9th b'day.
Day 3: MS coast (Pass Christian docks) into LA; rode LA 23 along the Mississippi S towards Venice; returned on LA 39 showing aftermath of Hurricane Isaac; mausoleum and house on levee.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics (continued)

Day 4: Rode LA 1 to Grand Isle, LA & LA 308 on return for the day; the river ran between the two highways; lots of boats including fire boats and swamps everywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pics (continued)

Day 5: Scenic LA 182 from Houma to Abbeville; lots of towns and sugar cane fields along the route; riverboat in Morgan City; toured an oil rig museum there; visited Tabasco at Avery Island; caught a pretty sunset that evening.
Day 6: In route to Lake Charles via LA 82 along the "Louisiana Outback" toward TX.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pics (continued)

Day 6 (cont.): Moved on into TX and a shot of Port Arthur. We went N to Bridge City, TX for lunch at a recommended restaurant (Peggy's on the Bayou), excellent, before heading back into LA and on to Lake Charles for the night.
Day 7: Rode to Vacherie, La, just below Baton Rouge, to see Oak Alley Plantation and then up LA 1, the scenic Great River Road; crossed over into MS at Natchez, where we dined that night at another recommended restaurant, Roux 61 (thank you Crownfire), which was excellent as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pics (continued)

Day 8: Norma at the park on bluff in Natchez; after riding around the town and seeing a few more mansions/plantations, we rode the Trace for a few miles before jumping onto MS Great River Road toward Vicksburg. The flood wall is new since we were there last; nice addition. After leaving Vicksburg, we got on MS 1, the rest of the GRR.
Day 9 we crossed MS on Hwy. 8 into Al on the way home, and Day 10 we took US278 the rest of the way. Our destination on Day 8 was to end up at the Great River Road State Park in Rosedale, MS, but the day got away from us and we had to move on to the motel. Good ride and rode the x-way only a few miles, from Bridge City, TX to Lake Charles. Everything else was mostly back roads or state roads. The End.

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,004 Posts
Great looking trip George, thanks for taking us along & I see your lady is quite handy with her camera. Awesome Pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,715 Posts
Thanks George for sharing, great shots, they all made me think of this!

Mark

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts

·
Administrator
15,294 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and glad you enjoyed that restaurant. That's the best time of year to ride in that piece of the world.

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
Thank you for taking us along.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
Thankyou George and thanyou to your photographer. We can get good photos to show our trips when we have a on board photographer with us.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Very nice pictures. You almost rode through my backyard. Heads up next time, and I will ride along a while.... If you care for some riding company. I am thinking about heading to Slidell in January to put La. on my map. Any other route suggestions? I am going to most likely leave from Gulf Shores after visiting my parents.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would recommend Grand Isle, which was scenic and has good roads, about 100 miles from Houma. Where in AL do you reside? We enjoy riding in AL since we live near the AL state line near Piedmont and always like to meet new folks to ride with. Could not make the MNG Nov. 03 since we were on vacation but hope to do the next one.

·
Premium Member
7,120 Posts
I would recommend Grand Isle, which was scenic and has good roads, about 100 miles from Houma. Where in AL do you reside? We enjoy riding in AL since we live near the AL state line near Piedmont and always like to meet new folks to ride with. Could not make the MNG Nov. 03 since we were on vacation but hope to do the next one.
Just send out the call....I will be there

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Will do. Norma and I look forward to meeting the AL group as well as the GA group, for that matter. We're finding that more and more people are talkers instead of riders, but looks like you're one of the latter. I'll give you a shout out next time we're in your area.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the positive feedback; glad you enjoyed our trip with us. Mark, thoroughly enjoy "Born on the Bayou", a great memory booster. You were not even born when that song was recorded; I remember it vividly. Lots of good memories and one of my favorite artist of all times.

·
Administrator
15,294 Posts
I am thinking about heading to Slidell in January to put La. on my map. Any other route suggestions? I am going to most likely leave from Gulf Shores after visiting my parents.
Along the coast stick with US 90 all the way across Mississippi into Lousiana. The new bridges over Biloxi Bay and Bay of St. Louis are great. Once in Louisiana you can take a right into Slidell and then back up to I-10. Or, stay on 90 until you hit Hwy 11 in East New Orleans, take a right and that takes you right into Slidell the scenic route over some bayous and along the marsh. The Southside Cafe is a great place to eat right there on 11 in Slidell.

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That was exactly the route we took and it was all you said; however, we got tangled up in New Orleans trying to get to Houma and that was a mess; we finally got through the city with all the detours, construction, and so forth, but lots of traffic. We're no worse for the wear, however.

·
Registered
35 Posts
George, I wish I would have been a member here when you made your trip. You passed 150' from my house when you were on LA1.
Also, the oil rig you toured, was that the Mister Charlie? I actually worked on that rig once, back in the 80's. It is not a good representation of what's out there today. Much bigger, much nicer, much mose costly now.
Hope you get down this way again, we can go somewhere for a cup of coffee.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.