Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to go look at a '94 GL 1500 Aspencade w/ 32K mi this weekend and was wondering what questions to ask the owner before hand and what would be a fair price to pay at the auction?

I've owned a bike of this weight, but this would be my first experience with a Goldwing, and I'm concerned about it's top heaviness as I'm not too long legged. Is an after market lowering package available?

If I should buy it, then I would strongly consider taking it to a Honda dealer to go through it before any riding for a safety and reliability check, and was wondering what I might expect as a fair price to pay for a "look-see-service what's needed", or what ever they'd call that. I'm guessing surely some problem somewhere with the radio/ electrics package? Does that model have a fuel computer that shows miles left in the tank etc.?

Can I trust that ANY Honda dealer will know Goldwings, or should I get a recomendation, like from the seller, IF he has a favorite shop? Maybe a second opinion might be better, but it's a distance from my home area too.

I assume there is a recommended "preventative maintenance" scheduld in the owners manual, but I'm not sure everyone does all that stuff they are supposed anyway, but I will ask the seller about service history, battery age, etc., but is there any "secrets" for that vintage I should know about?
Thanks! or reply to: [email protected]

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
you may be out of luck trying to get a honda dealer to service a '94 wing. most will not work on any bike over ten years old

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you kindly for the reply!
And thank yor for that important warning, then sounds like a guy is on his own as far as service goes. I could see if it was a "brand X" and find it interesting & disappointing that they will not even suppport their own brand! I will check with area dealers on that detail. Now that makes me wonder about the integrity of the older bikes and/or the dealers! Do they ONLY want to just SELL you a new bike, MAKE BIG BUCKS of Honda doing warrenty work, then cease to know you unless you need another NEW bike?
I would gladly buy a newer model, but didn't want to invest the extra cash for an experiment. If I didn't care for it as much as my present brand and would then want to resell it, I figured the depreciation to be brutal on a newish one. So even if I bought a newer or yet a NEW one, it too would eventually celebrate it's 10th birthday and then I'm an orpahn again! Has anyone else reading this forum experience the same dealer policy?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would ask to see his service records, just about all Gold Wing owners keep very good records of oil changes, tires changes, and any maintenance done to their bike.
You shouldn't have any problem with anything on the bike at that mileage providing it hasn't just been sitting around for a few years not being ridden.
Don't worry about the weight, once they get rolling they are not heavy at all. Once you get a couple hundred miles on it you won't even know it's there.
The 94 is basically the same bike as the 2000 which is the last year the 1500 was made, so I don't think you will have any trouble with getting it serviced. Ask the owner where he had his service done, most of the times it's an accessory shop, most of the dealers rip you off for tires and services and they usually don't sell a lot of Gold Wings so they usually don't do a lot of work on them.
You will want to see when the timing belts were replaced (should do it every 70,000 miles) with a bike that old they might be old and brittle. Ask if the sub filter and cruise filter have been changed, and if he ever had the fork oil changed, and see how long he went between oil changes. Check the reverse and make sure it works, does it have a CB on it?
If the bike is to high for you you can take the seat to an upholstery shop and have some padding removed from it, Or check out
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/WingSoft Small/WingSoft Small.htm
I would say a fair price would be anywhere from $5500. to $6,000, if the bike needs maintenance now it can run a good chunk of change. If you buy it or any other bike learn how to do most of the stuff yourself. But basically the 1500 if maintained properly is a bullet proof bike, many have got way over 200,000 miles with no problems.
Where did you find the bike for sale, newspaper, word of mouth, ?
That's all for now, but that should get you started, let us know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
87 Posts
........... then sounds like a guy is on his own as far as service goes................
Don't write off your dealer so quickly. Start calling around to dealers within a reasonable distance and ask them. While I know a lot of dealers have this policy, my local Honda dealer was more than happy to work on my '87 Wing. I bought the bike in early December last year and my kids went in the shop to buy me a gift certificate for Christmas. The dealer made a point of letting them know that I could come to them for any needed service.

Your profile doesn't indicate where you're located, but a lot of the small town shops seem much more interested in working on the older stuff to keep their mechanics working and billing hours and not just standing around.

Hoss

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, that first post sorta scared me off.
But then, as suggested, I called two dealers (both in middle of USA) & both would welcome me w/ open arms & would be glad to do a "look-see" for 1/2 - 1 hrs worth of shop labor, and what ever else I wanted or needed after that.
When I asked about any problem areas, one guru mentioned a remote chance of drive line splines needing replacement as a worst case senario.
And to answer the one question above it does have a CB (for what ever that's worth.....then, I assume you need a dedicated "Honda helmet to bike plug", (as I think my AutoCom is different), and my research shows, in 1993, "cruise now reads crankshaft speed".
I'm just curious if there is/was any fuel computer in those days....( xxx miles of gas left before tank runs dry)?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Here's where you can find headsets for use w/CB nd intercom:
http://www.sierra-mc.com/
You do not have to buy Honda helmets.
Perhaps you should check w/autocom. If you are using their headset, maybe they have cords to plug into the Wing. I know nothing about autocom products.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI, AutoCom, (good UK product, now distributed in USA by MDE??) 1-866-951-5550) has adapter needed.
I will check out some of the other websites suggested above when I get some time.

But of interest to me was the fact that the parts guy & websites seem to differeniate between the GL 1500 & GL 1800 on electrical accessories! This seems odd??? Anyone got a clue there?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts