Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably been asked but, MUST I take my bike to the dealer for the 600 mile service? My dealer is fairly far, so I'd have to either wait, or get a ride home and back to pick it up. If records are kept, can I do the work myself? AAAnnnnd: finally, what all is done at 600 mile service?
Thanks
Mctoy

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
Check your maint schedule in the owners manual and you will see there is no 600 mile check up..

·
Registered
515 Posts
Picked up my 2012 this afternoon...owners manual and service manager point out the first service is at 4000mi.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
You can do your own work, they cannot make you have it done at a dealer. Keep your receipts for all the oil and filter changes and any thing else you do. As said before, there is no 600 mile service. Many of us change the oil, filter and final drive fluid at 500 to 1000 miles just for piece of mind.
Magnuson-Moss warranty act states

Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Warranty

You can do your own work, they cannot make you have it done at a dealer. Keep your receipts for all the oil and filter changes and any thing else you do. As said before, there is no 600 mile service. Many of us change the oil, filter and final drive fluid at 500 to 1000 miles just for piece of mind.
Magnuson-Moss warranty act states

Tie-In Sales" Provisions Generally, tie-in sales provisions are not allowed. Such a provision would require a purchaser of the warranted product to buy an item or service from a particular company to use with the warranted product in order to be eligible to receive a remedy under the warranty. The following are examples of prohibited tie-in sales provisions.

In order to keep your new Plenum Brand Vacuum Cleaner warranty in effect, you must use genuine Plenum Brand Filter Bags. Failure to have scheduled maintenance performed, at your expense, by the Great American Maintenance Company, Inc., voids this warranty.
So we are ok in switching to Amsoil or Mobil 1 oil and or filters etc,
as long as they meet or exceed Mfr requirements? I guess I was thinking 'VTX' about doing a 600 mile service. :eek:
Sure lovin' this 'UGLY' yeller wing!!!
I DO love the color actually! :D

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Here's the skinny according to Honda on the maintenance schedule: There is an asterisk(s) on the left side of the page next to each maintenance item

* Should be serviced by an authorized Honda dealer, unless the owner has proper tools and service data and is mechanically qualified.

** In the interest of safety, we recommend these items be serviced only by an authorized Honda dealer.

Nowhere does the word 'must' appear, and nowhere does it say anything about voiding the manufacturer warranty if you do your own maintenance. I markd the date and particulars in the back of my owners manual for all my service work, whether I do it myself or if I have the guys in the back do it. Records are your safeguard, be diligent. All shops now have computer service records for any shop work done and warranty claims get registered to the vin # of the bike as do campaigns (recalls) and service bulletins.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
What budoka said!!

·
Registered
741 Posts
I reserve the right to change my own oil in the garage and to rebuild my transmission in the bathroom tub.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts