Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, from what I've read thus far, the majority opinion seems to be that the factory Nav system on the Goldwings is wasted space and that an after-market Garmin or Tom-Tom is much more user-friendly and diverse.

I'm open to everyone's opinions because I am leaning toward saving the money and just going with the premium sound GL. I live in Florida and doubt that seat and hand warmers would be worthwhile. So if the general consensus is that the OEM Nav system is not worth it, then why spend the extra cabbage for the upgrade, am I right?

·
Registered
103 Posts
To NAVI or Not to NAVI

Okay, from what I've read thus far, the majority opinion seems to be that the factory Nav system on the Goldwings is wasted space and that an after-market Garmin or Tom-Tom is much more user-friendly and diverse....then why spend the extra cabbage for the upgrade, am I right?
Matter of opinion and preference.

I can tell you from my experience that I prefer the Garmin Zumo550 (and newer versions available). They have a touchscreen interface and are much easier to use, PLUS, you can plan your trips on your PC and download them to the Zumo, whereas on the Honda NAVI, you have to key everything in from the right-side fairing panel.

The Zumo also has an MP3 player and BlueTooth capability, so I can listen to music and use my cell phone while one the Wing. The only downside I see to using the Zumo is that you have to install a mount to hold it to the Wing and the added cost of the interface if you want to integrate the Zumo into the Wing's electronics.

I use the Zumo on my Wing for precise navigation and I use the Honda NAVI on my bike for the "big picture," which is kinda' nice. I like being able to see my general position from a zoomed out position as well as the detail of the next few intersections and turns.

So, there are too many variables to make a blanket statement for or against the Honda NAVI. You have to evaluate your needs. Some folks love the Honda NAVI; however, their experience may be limited to it exclusively.

Try both (or find someone you know who has experience with other devices and ask them), then decide what meets your needs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for those inputs. As it happens, and as you probably already know, we have purchased the '08 premium audio package, so I guess the OEM nav system comparison is now moot. My friend has an '05 comfort package and I think he's turned his GPS on once. Then again, he's not a tech-savy kinda guy:rolleyes:

I am pretty certain an after-market nav system is in my future. That being said, I'll need to put it down the "prioritized" list behind handlebar extenders, passenger armrests and a heel-toe/floorboard ensemble. If only I had a rich Uncle.....:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anyone know how to disable the factory navi so it will allow imput while in gear????? There has to be a simple way that the Honda people dont want us to know about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts