Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new Gold Wing F6b and absolutely love it with one exception............the exhaust noise. However, I'm confused. I read other posts/reviews that the exhausts and noise levels are the same as a standard Gold Wing. I previously had a 2006 Gold Wing and there is no comparison to the noise levels as the F6b has a throaty/raspy/buzzing sound. The dealer says that I'm the first to comment on this. Honda America says the same? No reviews say anything about the increased noise level. A friend of mine says his is quiet. Therefore, I'm confused as when accelerating the noise is annoying. It does level out when cruising but the overall noise is much more than on my previous Gold Wing. I'm going to check out another helmet to eliminate this possibility but I don't think this is the issue. What's your experience??

·
Super Moderator
7,583 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I had read somewhere where Honda had changed the mufflers to give the bike a more noticeable exhaust note.

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
I'd have the dealer check the mufflers for loose baffles.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
Time to check/verify the muffler part numbers.
There are free sound level apps for smart phones. They are notoriously inaccurate, but will give you good relative readings for comparison if you want to gauge your bike against someone else's.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I can't speak for the 2015 models, but the exhaust system on the '13 an '14 were the same as the regular Goldwing. However, many dealerships installed V&H and other pipes on them and they are noticeably louder than the stockers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Greetings from a fellow F6B owner.

I'd have the baffles checked...but I suspect everything is OK. Honda did make minor changes in favour of a more pronounced exhaust note. Or...at least that is what I have read.

....sT

·
Registered
97 Posts
I can't speak for the 2015 models, but the exhaust system on the '13 an '14 were the same as the regular Goldwing. However, many dealerships installed V&H and other pipes on them and they are noticeably louder than the stockers.
Why would a dealer do this to a new bike without having a customer request this to begin with? I have never heard of any company spending additional money on something and not making a profit from it.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
So I checked and the '13 and '14 share the same mufflers, but the '15 has a different part #.
530, I'm not saying they did, but certainly could have. Part of the allure to the F6B is it's bit of bad a$$ attitude and looks. I know many wouldn't approve of an exhaust change, but I know of two demo units that had V&H pipes on them within two hours of us. Personally, if it was me I'd have a set of the black Cobra six packs on an F6B. But that's just me...

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
Why would a dealer do this to a new bike without having a customer request this to begin with? I have never heard of any company spending additional money on something and not making a profit from it.
From the talk I've heard by dealers and buyers, the F6B is not intended for the touring rider. It's supposedly aimed at the cruiser market competing against mostly V-twins. Hence no reverse or cruise control. So Budoka's bad attitude (his is one of the baddest) should include a louder sound. Not necessarily a V-twin glass-shattering rumble, but a least a noticeable growl under acceleration. The louder sound could be achieved by playing with the baffles on the stock mufflers, but the aftermarket items provide some extra income for the dealer's shop. And that Cobra 6 pack does look good.

I get a lot of positive comments on the Cobra exhaust on my trike...a bit of a Porsche sound at idle and mild acceleration, and a throaty gurgle effect slowing down. But really not noticeable at highway speed.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Precisely why I like my Torquemasters Randy.

Oh, and I'm not actually the baddest, I'm really a pussycat at heart.:LaughHard:

·
Premium Member
3,731 Posts
B, your wife is proficient with one of the biggest knives in the known history of North America!! And you want us to think of you as a pussycat?

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
MEEEOOOOWWWW!
:wink2:

·
Super Moderator
11,288 Posts
ffffffffffffffftt!

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just purchased a new Gold Wing F6b and absolutely love it with one exception............the exhaust noise. However, I'm confused. I read other posts/reviews that the exhausts and noise levels are the same as a standard Gold Wing. I previously had a 2006 Gold Wing and there is no comparison to the noise levels as the F6b has a throaty/raspy/buzzing sound. The dealer says that I'm the first to comment on this. Honda America says the same? No reviews say anything about the increased noise level. A friend of mine says his is quiet. Therefore, I'm confused as when accelerating the noise is annoying. It does level out when cruising but the overall noise is much more than on my previous Gold Wing. I'm going to check out another helmet to eliminate this possibility but I don't think this is the issue. What's your experience??

Has anybody else encountered the same issue? I own a 2008 GL and I test drove the 2015 F6B which I'm planning to purchase. However I felt the same definitely higher exhaust noise.
Did anybody solve the issue about the noise of your F6B? If yes then what did you do?
I'd appreciate your answer very much as this issue holds me back from purchasing F6B yet.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
If memory serves, the 2013 F6B I rode suffered more from wind noise (at highway speed) than the exhaust, and it had V&H pipes on it. The fairing on them is narrower and the low screen doesn't do much for wind at anything over 50 mph. The last issue of the Valkyrie had a more pronounced exhaust note though, done on purpose by Honda to be more in keeping with the "power cruiser" class. There are those out there that don't care for the sound of the 2018/19 GL's, noticeably throatier than the previous GL1800.
However, the part #s on the 2015 GL1800 dresser and F6B are definitely different; unfortunately that doesn't tell me anything about sound levels or the inner baffles of the F6B in comparison.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The one I tried has the higher Clockwerks windshield installed that's why the exhaust noise is clearly pronounced. It seems a possible cure could be the baffles replacement to the previous year ones.

You mentioned "2018/19 GL's, noticeably throatier than the previous GL1800" - its strange. I test rode it and with the windshield in its top position it was absolutely quite, even better than on Honda ST1300. That's why couple of years later when price drops for the used ones definitely I purchase the new GL :)

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
Honda did give the new Wings a throatier exhaust than previous, it's been mentioned by Honda reps in our seminars. Honda's reasoning is the fact that they are targeting a younger demographic than previously. The ones I heard in those training sessions were definitely a different note (except for mine that is) than the previous model.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Excuse me for saying this but I find this funny anyone would think a Wing is too noisy? Same complaints with the 2018-19, music to my ears:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Exhaust is annoying

I agree I purchased a 2016 F6B and think its a great bike with the exception of the noise or droning from the exhaust. I'm currently looking to replace mufflers but don't want to buy something that's worse looking for advice on a good replacement,

1 - 20 of 21 Posts