Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Wing in October and rode it throughout the winter, I sometimes snickered at all the Northeasterners who posted pictures of snow and complained of not being able to ride. Now, it's my turn with temperatures climbing towards 110 degrees here in Vegas. :cool:

I suppose I could ride, but 100+ degrees at 70 MPH is still 100+ degrees. Has anyone tried the cool vests that you soak in water and if so, how long do they cool before drying out? Is there any other hot weather equipment that works? I suppose I could jump in the pool, then jump on the Wing but at these temps, I'd be dry by the end of the block. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
I've not ridden in temps that high. Everybody says "but it's a dry heat". Well so in the inside of an oven.... From what I've heard from other riders the cool vests works pretty well. One thing is to make sure you stay hydrated with water. When I've been on long trips in 90+ temps I carry a small collapsible cooler with water and ice in the trunk. Ride safe and stay cool...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey there Radarsdad,
I live in South Texas and know the heat only too well! Being a retired firefighter I simplly try to shield myself from the heat the best I can. I wear a Buffalo hide leather jacket with the liner taken out and all vents open. It's "hot" but it stops the blast furnace effect at 70mph.Thats the best I have been able to come up with. Also wear breathable gloves most gloves are made for cold weather riding. Other than that keep the face shield down and pray for A/C.
Bossman

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sonuva... Just checked and it's 106 at 5:45 PM. :mad: Oh well, at least I don't live in Death Valley where it's 120 right now! :eek:

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Who would have thunk that summer is the worst riding season for some. It doesn't make sense. " Sorry, can't ride today. It's too sunny. "

Attachments

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Cooling vest are a good thing, drink plenty of water, wear long sleeves, the long sleeves keep the hot sun off your arms and you stay cooler. If you don't have a cooling vest you can wet your tee shirt and put a windbreaker of shirt over it and it will act like a swamp cooler and keep you cool for about an hour at a time.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
water vest

Yes these work and they work well, You will need to soak them about every 30 min at 75 mph. I mean SOAK not just dampen. They arent much to fun wear. Other than that, these vests take some sting out of SW desert heat. Remember, if humdity is high it probably wont work.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
hi chopin

Who would have thunk that summer is the worst riding season for some. It doesn't make sense. " Sorry, can't ride today. It's too sunny. "
At 105 and over believe me, it is just too sunny. :p

·
Registered
31 Posts
Extreme heat riding

I rode 451 miles today in high heat....Came out of Baker, Ca an the Honda temp reading was 117 an up hwy 127 it was 115................I wear a cooling vest with long sleeves.full Darien suit with cotton loose fitting pants...............full boots and lots of Gatorade with a camel back............need to wear gloves because the bars are too hot to touch bare handed........set her at 75 an had a very enjoyable ride but did notice one thing..............didn't see any other bikers on hwy 127 to Death Valley...I was also running down in the Laughlin area for lunch.........just my day for high temps.................if properly prepared there isn't any problems riding in High temperatures..................just be careful an have a lot of fluids with you.

HisST

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Alright guys that's enough of this stuff. You know I'm heading right into that in 2 weeks. I have read a lot of touring books & you guys say the same things they do. So I'll be ready I hope. Maybe you'll have a cold front come in when a Yankee comes to town.

Hisst, I plan on going thru Death Valley. Books all say to do early morning. Was thinking about staying in Vegas & heading out early but possibly stay in Parhump to get closer. Any thoughts on that?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Only been there once, but agree on the early morning Death Valley stint. I pick up an extra bottle of water (one to drink and one to cool down) and keep them between my knees or in my shirt. Do this at every fuel stop in high heat (regardless of what I'm riding) and when it gets uncomfortable, I pour it down my back and chest. Works for about a half hour for me, but that's usually enough to keep me from getting heat exhaustion on a full day ride.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those cool neck things and the vests that need to be soaked in water don't work too well in areas with high humidity. They work much better in the dryer climates.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hot Dog! I just got a Cycle Gear sale flyer that has a Motoboss Cooling Vest on sale for $34.99. I'll check it out this weekend. Does anyone have a favorite brand of vest they would recommend? As far as Death Valley this time of the year, any time in the morning's OK as long as the sun hasn't come up yet. :D

It's supposed to only be in the 80's here in Vegas this weekend so will definitely try to go somewhere... but not DV. :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also in Vegas

I live in Vegas and ride daily to work year round. Also on the weekends when given a chance. Being originally from Arizona the heat doesn't bother me that much. I don't have a cool vest but the important part is to keep your head cool. A water snake around the neck makes a big difference when you travel. And a good vented helmet helps even at 110. You can always do the ice in the bandana trick. It cools the neck and the back when it drips.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Fossil

Hey Fossil... you Wingin' it all the way out here from PA? Geez, I thought 500 miles was a long ride... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Death Valley

Hi Fossil, I rode Death Valley in last week of March. It was spectacular although a little windy. Summer temps routinely reach 115F, often reach 120F and occasionally make it to 125F. Remember, 122F is 50C and people come from all over the world and stay there for a week trying to catch 120F and 50C is frosting on the weirdo cake. If they are so lucky they join some club and wear a T shirt.
115 is FRIEKING HOT!!! i dunno about the rest. Be careful! personally, I would only ride across the center of the park. It will be plenty hot and desolate. Be sure to see Scottys castle and take the tour. The place is beautiful in a perverse sort of way.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Extreme heat ridin

Whatever cooling vest you buy..............make sure it has sleeves..............a world of different from just a vest............an honest............115 degrees with the cooling vest is very bearable.........
Hisst

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Hey Fossil... you Wingin' it all the way out here from PA?
Yes we are "dad" & all the way back too. Across the top of the states. Can't wait.

·
Super Moderator
28,436 Posts
Hi Fossil, I rode Death Valley in last week of March.

Be careful! personally, I would only ride across the center of the park. It will be plenty hot and desolate. Be sure to see Scottys castle and take the tour. The place is beautiful in a perverse sort of way.
Thanks for the tip Bill. We plan on doing just that. Plan on going in from Parhump area catch 190 & go across exit out to Lone Pine. I'll check to see where Scottys Castle is. Thanks again

1 - 20 of 23 Posts