Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Big hello from sunny Sweden to all Wing riders!
Can anyone help me? I have a 95 Aspencade & have purchased a light bar for the front, I.ve bought round spots for top & chrome square 1`s for bottom then under main headlight 2 oval. I have lights all picked out but am unsure how to wire into the bike, also how do I mount double lights on the bar, do I need an attachment of some sort? Any suggestions or tips greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
9,853 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Don't know if I can be of much help with your question, but I assume you want them to go on and off with the ignition switch. Also, make sure you don't exceed the capacity of the alternator and that you have proper fuses in place to handle the load. I'm sure someone with a lot more know how will chime in here shortly with more definative help. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

·
Super Moderator
28,448 Posts
Welcome to the site from U.S.A. I would need more info to address the attachment part of your question. Perhaps you can take some pictures & post them so we may help you better.

Like Two Wheel said you will want to check load that you add to the electrical system. Quick check would be add the total watts & divide that number by the voltage ( I use 12 volts to be safe it airs on the side of conservative). I.E. 75 watts/12 volts = 6.25 amps.

Now what I did when I added electrical accessories (Heated Gear) was get an auxilary panel made by these guys http://www.electricalconnection.com/ it has a relay & fuse panel complete instructions that tells you how to get it tied in to your wiring harness so that when you engage the starter it disconnects the relay to take the load off the alternator. WORKS GREAT & well worth the money. In your case I would take it a step farther & install a Switch for each set of lights because ther may be times when you don't need them all. Just a thought.

As always this is just one ole fossil's opinion. Good Luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi fossil92, many thanks for your reply I`ll start working on the calculations. As to the attachment issue it`s a normal chrome light bar for Goldwings with a hole in the top part only. The bottom is open so would a large spacer & nut combination do the trick?
Welcome to the site from U.S.A. I would need more info to address the attachment part of your question. Perhaps you can take some pictures & post them so we may help you better.

Like Two Wheel said you will want to check load that you add to the electrical system. Quick check would be add the total watts & divide that number by the voltage ( I use 12 volts to be safe it airs on the side of conservative). I.E. 75 watts/12 volts = 6.25 amps.

Now what I did when I added electrical accessories (Heated Gear) was get an auxilary panel made by these guys http://www.electricalconnection.com/ it has a relay & fuse panel complete instructions that tells you how to get it tied in to your wiring harness so that when you engage the starter it disconnects the relay to take the load off the alternator. WORKS GREAT & well worth the money. In your case I would take it a step farther & install a Switch for each set of lights because ther may be times when you don't need them all. Just a thought.

As always this is just one ole fossil's opinion. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Welcome Ruffy

Ruffy, Im kinda mechanically challenged. My challenge motto is " if I have to ask how, best have some one else do it". The last thing you need to experience is darkness in a tight wet corner becasue your home baked electrical job went south. Just my .02 worth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Billcar I`ll take that suggestion into consideration. As you rightly say "driving in the rain, tight corner, NO LIGHTS! OH ####!!!
Not good.:eek:
Ruffy, Im kinda mechanically challenged. My challenge motto is " if I have to ask how, best have some one else do it". The last thing you need to experience is darkness in a tight wet corner becasue your home baked electrical job went south. Just my .02 worth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts