Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how common is road debris damge to the (radiator) expansion tank on an 1800 ?

We have done 10,500 on our 1800 and recently suffered a punctured expansion tank. Whilst it's not big deal to repair, or should I say to have repaired by the local Plastic Welders .... I'm just wondering how common a problem it is ?

Appreciate your comments.
PS: We have ordered an engine plate !

Cheers:)

·
Premium Member
629 Posts
Seams to be a common thing for the 1800's....need to install a "belly pan"....

Oh I see where you have one ordered.....good job!!! That should fix the problem..

·
Premium Member
5,390 Posts
i heard about this and i also was thinking about getting a belly pan

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
I don't know the percentage of tanks that have been damaged, but knowing the amount of debris that can be thrown back off the front wheel from the road I think a belly pan is a good investment.

·
Premium Member
1,172 Posts
I recently installed a belly-pan over the same concern.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
This one of those things, that makes me say; What were they ( Honda Engineers) Thinking. With all the Wiz, Bang, Wizardry, they put on the 1800 (ABS,GPS,Heated seats,XM radio, trunk not latched warning,ect.) How could they miss something so critical yet so inexpensive to fit, And let it continue without a service bulletin to fix it.
Just wondering
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one of those things, that makes me say; What were they ( Honda Engineers) Thinking. With all the Wiz, Bang, Wizardry, they put on the 1800 (ABS,GPS,Heated seats,XM radio, trunk not latched warning,ect.) How could they miss something so critical yet so inexpensive to fit, And let it continue without a service bulletin to fix it.
Just wondering
From the Northwest Corner
Ron
I'm in full agreement. Blind Freddy could see that the tank is in the firing line and needs protecting.

:confused:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
It's one of the nits and picks I'm going to bring up with the gurus at my meeting next week. A couple of the guys I talk to are very receptive to input if you treat them decent and don't get all belligerent towards them or the "mother" company. Imagine catching more bees with honey vs. vinegar:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ironiacally, about 2 weeks before we sustained the damage, I had fitted a mudguard extension because I got fed up with the crap being deposited over the front engine cover. It would have been fair to assume (arhhh, assume = 1st mistake !) that would have offered some additional protection to the crankcase & Exp tank area. :mad::rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ironiacally, about 2 weeks before we sustained the damage, I had fitted a mudguard extension because I got fed up with the crap being deposited over the front engine cover. It would have been fair to assume (arhhh, assume = 1st mistake !) that would have offered some additional protection to the crankcase & Exp tank area. :mad::rolleyes:
now you assume what ever punched the hole in the expansion tank was thrown back by the front wheel. Not very likely. The only time I hit mine was driving out of the toy hauler. That impact pulled it down and reshaped it a bit but still did not make it leak.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whatever caused the damage was thrown up from somewhere. It definately was not from "bellying out" on anything. The location & type of damge show that to be the case. No question about it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
have no doubt it was something kicked up. Had to a hell of a impact to punch a hole. I agree with the belly pan and run one on both my 1800's one is vented the other is not. I cannot say I can tell the difference between the two as far as engine heat goes. The belly pan does offer a high degree of protection for that coolant tank as well as the other stuff under there. But don't go thinking of it as a skid plate.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I hit mine going over the curb on my drive way with the wife aboard , she added just enough weight to hit. One other guy I ride with did the same his was puntured mine was not.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is the belly pan strong enough to hold up most of the weight of the bike on a hard bump? So far the only problem I have had with mine involved an extra high speed bump in a McDonalds parking lot which I saw coming and crawled over it, but the bike still got a hard jolt when it came down on the bump. Did not have a belly pan, was riding 2 up and fully loaded on a long trip, the coolant overflow tank got scraped but not punctured or torn. Wondering how a pan could have helped in this situation, or maybe made bad matters worse?

Someone with a pan can answer this. Since the pan is just sheet metal, would it not compound the problem I had by getting pushed up hard against the coolant tank??

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have a belly pan on both our bikes. Wife and I each ride 2008 Gl1800 audio\ nav\abs but hers is also a air bagger. The belly pans on both have been hit. Both are scraped and dented but no damage to the tank or engine case. Quick work with a hammer and dollie at oil change time and its good as new. But like I said it's not a skid plate. We have a high roll over curb coming in the driveway where unless you walk it up you are going to strike. Unless we strike really hard, and we don't cause we know its there, the belly pan can take this lick.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
An extra layer of just about anything is better protection than wide open to contact. Having said that, you should never treat a belly pan as a skid plate because it ISN'T one. The pan is light weight aluminum, and a Wing is a big heavy bike without us or payload. Best to avoid curbs and obstacles rather than hope or depend on one.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:mad: I am still amazed that Mr Honda would produce a machine with such a vulnerable component location. Normally I respect Honda for having all the bases covered and, as previously mentioned, the addition of some sort of protection would be a simple & relatively in-expensive improvement.

Years ago we didn't have exp. tanks and it's no big deal to ride around without one now. However, checking the radiator coolant level on an airbag model with Air Wings is not really something I want to have to do every morning ! :eek:

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
A belly pan was one of the first addy's I installed. Not a ding on it yet. It must be working.
Just fitted mine this arvo. It's the "plain type" with a vented removable front section which is secured with 3 self tappers. mmmmm Not that impressed with the fit, but it's OK and will definately offer protection. Not mention peace of mind.

All is good :)

PS: I recently lashed out and bought an air operated m/c bench. Absolute luxury, a total indulgence, but then what's a Goldwing anyway ?? The bench is a SAM from Handy Industries in the US & I can thoroughly recommend it. Very well engineered & built .... I am impressed, plus now I don't have to grovel around on the ground !
The purchase was easily justified as I called it an "Ironing Board" ;):rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts