Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exorcist Needed to Cure Possessed 1983 GL1100 with low miles

My bike was running perfect. I was bragging about it. Told an employee to take a ride to see. As he drove off I heard a miss. Next day when I started it missed even more. Wondered, "Is my stator going bad?" Tested OK. All three wires show same output voltage something like 6 volts. Every spark plug is firing. Yet I can pull #2 plug and see it fire and it makes no difference in how engine runs. ???? I replaced coils, plugs, plug wires, rectifier and CDI. No difference. Sounds like only running on 2 cylinders yet all 4 plugs are sparking. Pulled off timing cover to see if it jumped a tooth. No - everything looks fine and I replaced belts just in case. Oh - prior to all this I installed new carburetor set up. Simplified by removing the four, buying a manifold to run a single VW Carb. Did this on an 82 GL1100 I own and it runs so sweet. So simple. This bike did too but then something changed & I do not know what.

This thing is hard to start and backfires out the carb. I have no eyelashes and eyebrows left. HERE IS WHAT IS REALLY WEIRD............ If I pull clutch lever in with trans in neutral it runs much better. Not right but better. If bike is at 1500 rpm's - in neutral and I let clutch out the bike will stutter and stall. Figured clutch is out. So I replaced that yesterday too. Did not change a thing. Nothing I have done has changed anything. I have a fortune invested in the original parts and replacement parts and no combination of switching parts makes any difference! What could this be? Don in Canton OH

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Sorry I can't be much help with your problem but others here are know a lot about your situation. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome from the northern tier of PA. Sorry I can't be much help with your problem but others here are know a lot about your situation. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.
Sounds like you covered all possible problems of getting spark to the plugs, The first thing I would is check the air filter, when is the last time the air filter was changed??? A plugged air filter will foul out the plugs with fuel and the cylinder will not fire and the bike will run on 3 cylinders This happen to me with 2005 Harley Ultra Classic with 3,500 miles. I live in very dusty climate, the air filter was completely pluged,and it left me on the side of the road. If the air filter is okay I would do is take out all 4 plugs, keep tract of the cylinder they came out of, exam the plugs, the electrode should be a light tan color, if you see any of them soiled with a black residue there is a problem with that cylinder, next step is to due a compress test on all 4 cylinders, thread the tester into each cylinder, hit the starter button, let it spin for about 15, 20 seconds , record the reading for each cylinder, there should at least 100 pounds in each cylinder, also they should be close to the same reading in each cylinder. If you see any cylinder below below 100 pounds write it down.If you see a wet plug try to determine it it is fouled with oil or gas, if it is oil you have a problem inside the cylinder, if it is gas, it could be a plugged air filter, if the air filter extremely dirty it could be plugged, and not letting air thru, which will foul the plug. Install a new set of plugs, gap them. Happened to me with a 2005 Harley Ultra Classic with 3,500 miles and 4 plugs fouled with gas, and the bike stopped running. iGet back to me, let me know how you make out.
Cross Country. [email protected]

·
Registered
778 Posts
Hey Don - Just a thought trying to look at the easy things first - from your description of the problem it almost sounds like it might be a tank of bad gas. It sometimes takes a few miles before the contaminants (water ?) settle in the carbs. I had to sputter along on water-gas one time after gassing up at a small country store in the middle of no-where one time. Draining the tank in the next town and new gas had me on my way.

I guess you've verified that your stator voltage at 3k Rpm is 45-50 volts AC when read between any pair of the 3 yellow output wires ?

If you are running on bad gas or with a defective stator - the reason why your bike runs better when the clutch lever is pulled in - is because the motor is being unloaded. The clutch discs and transmission idle gear shaft spinning through the oil stored in the lower half of the engine case actually slows the rotation of the crankshaft. That is why racing engines use specially designed windage trays and sump pumps to siphen the lubricating oil out of the crankcase as soon as it has passed over all the moving parts. By storing the oil in a seperate tank they get a slight HP advantage.

Good Luck - Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like you covered all possible problems of getting spark to the plugs, The first thing I would is check the air filter, when is the last time the air filter was changed??? A plugged air filter will foul out the plugs with fuel and the cylinder will not fire and the bike will run on 3 cylinders This happen to me with 2005 Harley Ultra Classic with 3,500 miles. I live in very dusty climate, the air filter was completely pluged,and it left me on the side of the road. If the air filter is okay I would do is take out all 4 plugs, keep tract of the cylinder they came out of, exam the plugs, the electrode should be a light tan color, if you see any of them soiled with a black residue there is a problem with that cylinder, next step is to due a compress test on all 4 cylinders, thread the tester into each cylinder, hit the starter button, let it spin for about 15, 20 seconds , record the reading for each cylinder, there should at least 100 pounds in each cylinder, also they should be close to the same reading in each cylinder. If you see any cylinder below below 100 pounds write it down.If you see a wet plug try to determine it it is fouled with oil or gas, if it is oil you have a problem inside the cylinder, if it is gas, it could be a plugged air filter, if the air filter extremely dirty it could be plugged, and not letting air thru, which will foul the plug. Install a new set of plugs, gap them. Happened to me with a 2005 Harley Ultra Classic with 3,500 miles and 4 plugs fouled with gas, and the bike stopped running. iGet back to me, let me know how you make out.
Cross Country. [email protected]
Not a dirty air filter - took air cleaner off to look at carb and that is how I lost my eyelashes & eyebrows. LOL Several of the plugs are wet with gas - odd because now they are all fed by same manifold and one carb. BAD GAS? I had not thought of that, Guess that is easy enough to drain & refill. Thanks for suggestion!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Don - Just a thought trying to look at the easy things first - from your description of the problem it almost sounds like it might be a tank of bad gas. It sometimes takes a few miles before the contaminants (water ?) settle in the carbs. I had to sputter along on water-gas one time after gassing up at a small country store in the middle of no-where one time. Draining the tank in the next town and new gas had me on my way.

I guess you've verified that your stator voltage at 3k Rpm is 45-50 volts AC when read between any pair of the 3 yellow output wires ?

If you are running on bad gas or with a defective stator - the reason why your bike runs better when the clutch lever is pulled in - is because the motor is being unloaded. The clutch discs and transmission idle gear shaft spinning through the oil stored in the lower half of the engine case actually slows the rotation of the crankshaft. That is why racing engines use specially designed windage trays and sump pumps to siphen the lubricating oil out of the crankcase as soon as it has passed over all the moving parts. By storing the oil in a seperate tank they get a slight HP advantage.

Good Luck - Michael
Bike will not run to 3k rpm. I checked stator voltage cranking speed and got 6 volts AC when read between any pair of the 3 yellow output wires. Going to drain gas & try again!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Sounds like you might have a vacume leak probably with the new manifold you put on, a vacuum leak will allow air to enter the Intake before the valves causing a severe lean mixture which will not burn. Spray the intake to engine connection and around the base of the carb and listen for any change in missing or idle.

·
Registered
6,757 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see you are getting plenty of advice already.

·
Premium Member
10,979 Posts
I am a lover of using starting fluid when you have a miss. If the motor will run with the starting fluid, you can now look at the compression and electricals.

·
Super Moderator
11,763 Posts
If you're only getting 6vac on any combination of stator wires, you have a problem. You should have much higher voltage.

Reactions: Techdude2000

·
Registered
37 Posts
Exorcist Needed to Cure Possessed 1983 GL1100 with low miles

My bike was running perfect. I was bragging about it. Told an employee to take a ride to see. As he drove off I heard a miss. Next day when I started it missed even more. Wondered, "Is my stator going bad?" Tested OK. All three wires show same output voltage something like 6 volts. Every spark plug is firing. Yet I can pull #2 plug and see it fire and it makes no difference in how engine runs. ???? I replaced coils, plugs, plug wires, rectifier and CDI. No difference. Sounds like only running on 2 cylinders yet all 4 plugs are sparking. Pulled off timing cover to see if it jumped a tooth. No - everything looks fine and I replaced belts just in case. Oh - prior to all this I installed new carburetor set up. Simplified by removing the four, buying a manifold to run a single VW Carb. Did this on an 82 GL1100 I own and it runs so sweet. So simple. This bike did too but then something changed & I do not know what.

This thing is hard to start and backfires out the carb. I have no eyelashes and eyebrows left. HERE IS WHAT IS REALLY WEIRD............ If I pull clutch lever in with trans in neutral it runs much better. Not right but better. If bike is at 1500 rpm's - in neutral and I let clutch out the bike will stutter and stall. Figured clutch is out. So I replaced that yesterday too. Did not change a thing. Nothing I have done has changed anything. I have a fortune invested in the original parts and replacement parts and no combination of switching parts makes any difference! What could this be? Don in Canton OH
Switch #2 plug with another plug, restart and remove #2 wire, see if it acts the same, or if the miss moved with the plug.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions ALL. It is fixed. I made sure everything was grounded well. The regulator rectifier was loose on the frame and that m,ay have been the issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts