Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 GL18 and think it is a great bike. The finest I have ever ridden. Only problem I have with the bike, if you can call it a problem, is it is too quiet. I know they make some aftermarket exhaust and was wondering who had what and what they thought of them. Also wondering about mileage and power changes with the new exhaust.
Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'd also be interested in knowing whether a fuel processor needs to be installed when anyone has made exhaust changes.

·
Registered
263 Posts
'08 Gl 1800

Yeah, I'm with ya on that too Raider. I love my bike and I am very pleased with the thought that I don't ever need to upgrade from here. I also think the bike is a little too quiet and I would like to get it a notch or two higher. Being the thrifty person I am, I am willing to wait until the bike needs replacement exhaust. Can anyone tell me about when, in miles, I will need to replace the muffler system?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just installed the Cobra slip ons on my 1800. Sound is still mellow but changed to where it now sounds like a Hot Rod. It got cold and started raining so I have not had a chance to hear it on the road or check mileage. Looks alot better and I bet it dropped 10-15 pounds from the stockers!

I also inadvertantly fixed a rattle that I had as one of the nuts was missing on my stock pipe allowing the cover to rattle.

I will post more when I get a chance to ride it.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have heard mixed reports on this. I e-mailed Cobra direct and got no response, but they only list processors for carbureted bikes on their site. I'm betting that unless you do something radical to the intake tract, the bikes ECU and fuel mapping will compensate just fine. I'll find out next spring when I decide on whether to go Cobra or Torqmaster. I've heard some reports from riders that have drilled 1/2" holes in the baffles to boost the sound of their bike. Not sure about that one.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Here's a topic that addresses a contradiction: " Why can't a Goldwing be more like a motorcycle ? " . I share the same " stealth " sentiments of power without presence issue. I attribute it to being a V-Twin rider and the feel and noise of those two pistons slapping up and down. Imagine what six pistons could feel and sound like! The Cobra slip-ons look like a good alternative. I have heard them on a VTX and was impressed. I would encourage those of you with expendable income to try it so we can decide if the bang is worth the buck.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
This is what I like about this site, even if you don't ask a question, someone has read your mind and asked the question for you. You guys keep experimenting and let us all know how we can improve our almost perfect bikes and improve our rides.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have Cobra slip ons on my VT1100, big difference from stock, power band is better. Some of my friends won't ride behind me (too loud), love the sound of the of my wings stock pipes (with a little wear on the mufflers 52,000. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few miles on the Cobra Tips

So, I have gotten about 300 miles riding with the new Cobra slip ons and I like the way they sound. I am sure I can feel a seat of the pants increase in power. Wish I would have dyno'd prior to and after install. Man, that hindsight is an awesome thing. Back to the pipes.

I rode some short rides around town and thought the bike sounded great, reminds me of a hot rod. Pipes are slip on and install took me about 12 minutes per side, about 30 minutes total because I kept looking for it to be more difficult than it was. The only complaint I have is that the exhaust resonance gets worste with the Cobras. It is significantly increased over stock. I have not taken a long journey with them installed yet but have not sold my stock pipes until I do. I will try to get 500 or so miles on them one day soon and report back as to how the resonance got to me after that long.

I sold my VTX1800 with Cobra Longshots and am fairly young on the Gold Wing Rider scale, so to say they are loud is and understatement.

If anyone would like riding video or sound video just drop me your email and I will try to get some out to you.

There is a you tube video with a guy that installed the Cobras on his bike, he does a very good before and after. The pipes do not sound much different than stock at that is what I got when I first started the bike up. But now that it is out it is louder than stock and the resonance, which you can hear in his video, is a good example of what it sounds like to you, it is just louder in person!!

Until next time,
RT:cool:

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Exhaust note

I do like the sound of a V Twin nicely tuned. Actually one of the fiercest sounding exhaust notes (to me) was a late model triumph triple run up in a dyno with aftermarket pipes. This thing sounded all business. Actually an AJS, BSA or Velocette single sounds terrific as well.

In my experience, the sound of a Valkeryie or a Wing with modified exhaust is simply too busy to be pretty. In a row of Porsches maybe this is an OK note. Out on the hiway It is not appealing to me. There isn't much a stock wing will not do powerwise. Personally, I'd leave a Wing exhaust alone. Racket on a 1500 miler is the last thing I want to bring along.

Life is short; do it now! :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
800 more miles

So, I have about 800 more miles on the Cobra slip ons. Still like them alot. No problem on longer trips. Resonance can be overcome with the radio. Get alot of looks and comments on these pipes and the way they sound/look. I really like them over the stock. No problems with the bikes fuel system, the ECU compensated for the pipes without any problems.

I still believe I gained some horsepower and now that I have had the pipes for some time and quit blipping the throttle every second it seems to be getting about the same mileage, if not a hair better. I promise I will try not to beat every person I meet off the line and see what I can do for a mileage comparison.

Would highly recommend these pipes (hear that Cobra?) to anyone with the desire for a little more sound out of their Wing with little cost and super easy install.

Ride Safe and hope to see some of you in Hico at the Pie Run this weekend.:D

RT

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
So, I have about 800 more miles on the Cobra slip ons. Still like them alot. No problem on longer trips. Resonance can be overcome with the radio. Get alot of looks and comments on these pipes and the way they sound/look. I really like them over the stock. No problems with the bikes fuel system, the ECU compensated for the pipes without any problems.

RT
Can we get a picture of how the " sound " looks on the bike ?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I want 'em, I want 'em, I want'em!!!

·
Registered
449 Posts
From what I understand about the fuel system, is that it would alter the current mapping for altitude and other varibles to maintain the correct fuel/air ratio. This should carry over to a different exhaust with less back pressure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So thought I would give a quick update on the pipes since I started this post and could be the cause of someone buying these pipes.

Having put about 4,000 miles on them since I put them on with a couple of slower long rides (60mph or so) I must now say that the resonance was about the only thing that I heard!! I knew it was worste at that speed but man after 947 miles I almost cut them off and threw them into the Intercoastal Waterway, luckily the Coast Gaurd was out and stopped me:) I am going to do one more ride to San Antonio and the Hill Country this weekend and if they are as bad at 70 or so.... than they were at 60 I will post them up for sale on Monday!!

Apologize for the original excitement. I still do like the way they sound and look, mileage is a little better also, but I am doing a 7,000 miler in July and do not want to deal with the resonance issues.

Bike runs great by the way.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Still agonizing over this issue. IDO want some more growl out of the Wing, but don't want to take away from the refined nature of the bike. I like the idea of an increase in performance with the combination of the Torqmaster pipes and the torq loopz (the extra baffles would keep sig/other happy) but I'd have the snarl for my HD buddies in back of me. The Cobras have a nicer appearance I think, but I'm thinking more of audible than bling. Decisions, decisions:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well today for an experiment I pulled the baffles out of the Cobra pipes. Was really easy and quick so I figured why not. I started it up and out poured the sweetest hot rod V-8 sound I ever heard, it was simply stated AWESOME!! Just too loud, so the baffles went back in. Did take a ride with them out and my son said he could hear me for about a 1/2 mile or so. To bad I have gotten to old to keep them in.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts