Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an 89 GL1500 with the Voyager trike kit this past October. It still has less than 50k miles on it even though I basically use it as a daily driver. I've put almost
1,200 on it in town, in January, in South Dakota. There is no such thing as too cold to ride.... but anyway every few day my wing will lose all of its power. The first time it happened I decided to see if bleeding the clutch to see if that would help any. To my elation it worked. But every few days here I am again having to bleed this clutch. I am bleeding it from the bleeder port directly below the alternator. I pump the clutch lever about a dozen times and open the port. 99% of the time it will shoot a stream of dot4 15 feet. Then the second time it shoot maybe 3 feet. Third time it just kinda flows/oozes out and the clutch works fine. It seems like when it has good pressure it doesnt want to work but when there is no pressure it works fine.... thoughts...

·
Registered
46 Posts
my guess is you still have a rather large air pocket in the system somewhere and you haven't gotten it out yet, try this, put a hose on the the bleeder nipple, make sure it is tight drop it into a container that has brake fluid in it deep enough to keep the hose submerged, (the hose must stay submerged while doing this) then open your bleeder screw and slowly pump your clutch handle, making sure to keep your master full do this unit you are certain there is no air you will know when the air pocket come out. then just close the bleed screw. pump the handle and couple times and then go ride. if it does it again you need to look for a leak. with those low miles on that old a bike it may be bypassing at the slave. make sure your not making oil

·
Super Moderator
28,548 Posts
Give my method a try and see if it yields better results. Laid out in this thread.

Reactions: AJ1500

·
Registered
98 GL1500se
6 Posts
Sometimes if there is air trapped at a banjo bolt it can be difficult to remove. If the above does not work, reverse bleeding (pushing fluid from the bleeder up to the master cylinder with a big syringe and being careful to not overflow the reservoir) or even tying the clutch lever back to the grip over night may help it also.

·
Registered
46 Posts
fossil92, that was your method I described. I couldn't remember where I read it. That is my go to bleeding solution from now on.

·
Super Moderator
28,548 Posts
@AJ1500 it does work great, and easy, doesn't it???

Also it is a sticky thread in General Discussion subforum

·
Registered
762 Posts
From the description you posted above my bet would be that you have either a plugged return hole in the master or a hose that has deteriorated internally. If the clutch fluid is unable to return to the master your clutch wil! stay on and as you stated you wil! lose power. Also check and make sure that you don't overfill the clutch master cylinder, maintain the fluid at the top of the sight glass, there is also a line on the inside of the master. One of the checks to see if the fluid is returning is to remove the top of the master and pull the clutch when released there should be a squirt of fluid out of the return hole. MAKE SURE to Cover any body and controls that the fluid may touch. If you have little or no return fluid pull the metal diverter at the front of the master and clean with a paper clip or needle. If you still have little or no fluid return crack the line at the slave if there is pressure there replace the flex hose.

Reactions: dsurley

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
From the description you posted above my bet would be that you have either a plugged return hole in the master or a hose that has deteriorated internally. If the clutch fluid is unable to return to the master your clutch wil! stay on and as you stated you wil! lose power. Also check and make sure that you don't overfill the clutch master cylinder, maintain the fluid at the top of the sight glass, there is also a line on the inside of the master. One of the checks to see if the fluid is returning is to remove the top of the master and pull the clutch when released there should be a squirt of fluid out of the return hole. MAKE SURE to Cover any body and controls that the fluid may touch. If you have little or no return fluid pull the metal diverter at the front of the master and clean with a paper clip or needle. If you still have little or no fluid return crack the line at the slave if there is pressure there replace the flex hose.
I was going to say something to this effect............... if it has that much pressure the first time, but after..... there has to be a collapsed line somewhere....
have seen the rubber hoses separate inside the hose and act like a one way valve.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
You say you are loosing power and you thought that bleeding the clutch hydraulics seem to correct the issue.

What do you mean by "loosing power?" The engine runs fine but no power to the rear wheel? Acts like clutch or driveline is slipping?

Why did you think bleeding the clutch hydraulics would help with this issue? What else did you check, if anything, before doing this? If you have air in the hydraulic system, it will not cause the clutch to slip. It more likely will cause the clutch to not disengage the clutch.

Not to be too obvious here but you didn't say what else you have already looked at it. The Voyager kit is taking some of the weight off the rear tire. It's cold out so your rear tire had less air pressure than it did in July. Is it possible your rear tire just doesn't have enough traction? A little bit of black ice that you might not even notice.

·
Registered
762 Posts
He stated when he went to bleed the clutch it had residual pressure which it should not have which will cause the clutch to stay enguaged and as the pressure builds up the bike will lose power due to the clutch sliping. That is either a plugged return hole in the master cylinder or my guess is a deteriorated flex hose.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Registered
401 Posts
I had help bleeding my clutch. I opened the reservoir, had my son keep filling while I opened the valve for the fluid to drain out. When I thought it was clear looking new enough, I closed off the valve while communicating with my son. My clutch performed flawlessly when we were done. It is funny, but we always have a lot of brake fluid left over and really it isn't good to save it because it absorbs water just sitting in its unsealed container. My father being a lifetime mechanic for Chevy working is way to eventually be a service manager once told me that brake fluid is a great way to get rubber grips on my bicycle because it acts as a lubricant but evaporates after you slide the grips on. I have used that technique several times in my 72 year lifetime like sliding wires through pvc pipe, etc..

·
Registered
198 Posts
cdwinborne,

Whatever became of your issue?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts