Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ex-derby gal, I’m strong, tall, and sweet

1K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  armsrn 
#1 ·
I can hold up an 2006 GL 1800, but I didn’t say ride it well. It’sa very heavy bike and I have trouble with tight turns especially if they’re on any type of incline. I seem to find a pinch zone, next thing I know, I’m bailing out… any who, hola friends

#7 ·
hey derby gal!
I remember watching derby in tv every Saturday nite when I was a kid in 70s-
It was a future goal,
But never did it…

welcome to the forum…
Thank you Renee, i will tell you that unles you played professional football, american style you did yourself a favor, i know many women got it bad as we age.

#4 ·
Welcome Aboard.
:)
May I suggest a good program and hopefully there is a course near you. Other Training Locations

If two wheels don't work well for you, try three. I'm 5'4" tall and you let me have a trike and I'll out run and maneuver on a trike as well as anyone can do on two wheels.

#6 ·
How tall are you? If your the same or more than my 5’10” and shrinking as I age, you just need to practice low speed maneuvers. There are things you can do to the bike to help you manage low speed. My bike, ‘05, has Traxxion suspension throughout and Heli-bars handlebars. These items completely changed the bike. It’s now nimble, maneuverable, and does exactly what I need it to do. much more so than it used to. I also keep my tires at 40psi. And because of the suspension upgrade, I can keep my rear suspension set at 5 or less.

#8 ·
Look up Ride like a pro, Jerry Paladino. Follow his videos and practice , practice practice!! Soon you will be making U turns and doing amazing things with your big heavy clumsy bike, as many think it is!! The GL1800 is slightly more nimble doing parking lot manuevers than previous models except for the 4 cylinder bikes. Have fun!!

#13 ·
Welcome from BC Canada
I also agree with practice
Find a nice flat, clean parking lot and play with the slow speeds
There are some great videos to watch that help
It is good to have an assistant to help with the pick ups
Also wrap heater hose around the engine guards to protect from scratches
Enjoy

every day is a good day....some are just gooder than others

#17 ·
He does know what he's talking about and yes the Goldwing is sensitive with the clutch & throttle. Because once I found the prefect balance between the two I could U-turn a trike in two parking spaces. Even trike riders can benefit from this technique. Rear brakes on a trike can be over powering and thus needed to be feathered especially if they are linked to the front.
At the old Service Merchandise store in Port Richey he had the coarse marked out in the parking lot and I worked with that, as did many other trikers.
There's a lot of practice involved in bike handling skills and a Goldwing is NOT a good starter bike. I knew an individual who was a smart@$$ and bought one and wound up wrecking it a short time later.

#19 ·
I have always found when I thought "I wouldn't make it", I looked further over my shoulder in the direction I had to head. I can do a U-turn on a 2 lane backroad. If you're not familiar with Pennsylvania backroads - they do NOT have any swells. The grass comes right up to the white "rain" line (I think that is what I've heard it called). And if you REALLY want to practice U-turns head out to Lancaster and do the U-turn while avoiding the road apples (think HORSE **** LOL).

Reactions: Luv2fish
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.