Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have enjoyed short trips on the C-14, but if we were ever going to do any decent touring, I knew that someday, I'd have to trade insane power for ultimate passenger comfort, and that day has come.

My wife's knees and back hurt badly after any trips of significant length (I had the Givi topcase with the backrest installed). While we were shopping, we compared the K1600GTL with the Wing with the C14. We rode a few Harleys, but quickly ruled that option out for a variety of reasons.

I made this graphic showing seating positions, and it quickly highlighted how each bike was designed and what it was intended for:

(Red=Honda, Blue=BMW, Green=Kawasaki)

One test ride on a Wing, and we were completely convinced that this was the perfect bike for us. It's also one of the most expensive bikes in any standard lineup.

Being somewhat of a geek, I actually didn't want the GPS model, because I much preferred a comfortable, well-appointed bike that I could add my own technology to, vs. a $2,700 option that will look like a toy in 5-10 years. Even more than a visual map, I wanted to plug my phone into the auxiliary port and have it give me turn-by-turn directions or use Pandora, Rdio, Spotify or other service to stream my music.

When we opened the left-side storage compartment, there was no audio cable. After reading the manual and talking to Honda, the only way you could get the aux cable was to upgrade to the Navi model. We removed the trim and the box to see if there was an obvious place to install the cable; there was not.

We were basically convinced that the only way to get aux-in functionality was to drop another $2,700 for a feature I didn't want. (I didn't want to use the USB connector in the trunk; I just wanted a plain audio auxiliary feed.) I was so frustrated with that decision by Honda that I was almost ready to back out and reconsider our options.

Our sales rep was amazing, however, and tenaciously began tearing apart a Navi model to see where the cable was attached and where it ran. Eventually, he found that Honda tucked the aux-in port way up underneath the dash on my Wing, I can only assume to intentionally obfuscate its location. He removed the compartment and the cable from the Navi model, and dug out the aux port. Boom, it all worked.

I was incredibly happy, but also somewhat frustrated that for a $20K+ bike, Honda wouldn't include this simple option on their base model, and would seem to mislead buyers that there was no easy way to get it other than upgrade to the next model. Oh, well.

My frustration at some product manager in Hondaland soon waned as we started our first ride on this magnificent beast. I opted ironically to forgo the music to hear the beautiful symphony of a perfectly-beating 6-chambered heart. My phone's GPS chiming in now and then to keep us going somewhere, thanks to the elusive aux cable. It was awesome.

I don't know if I can say what dealership I purchased it at to stay in line with the forums TOS, but they were in York, PA. If you're in the area, I'll refer you. The rep's name was Josh.

After we returned home and parked it, I cleaned all the bugs and dirt off the nose, and just stared at it for probably an hour. Anyone else do this? Seriously, I just stood in my garage and looked at the damn thing.

Anyway, ultimately, we're super happy with our choice to join the ranks of Wing riders, and I cannot wait to get back on the road.

Here she is:

·
Super Moderator
15,167 Posts
hello starfox, welcome to GWOF and congrats on the purchase of your new wing. i didn't like the bmw either. the seat and seating position were all wrong but what a motor

·
Super Moderator
7,611 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on getting a Wing.

·
Premium Member
16,737 Posts
WElcome to the GWOF. Great on the new wing, carefull the grow on you I bought mine new in 93 and still got it. They don't where out.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congrats on the wing. I got lucky, when I bought my used 2001 PO had already put in an AUX cable. I recently installed the power plug also.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF and congratulations on a truly magnificent motorcycle!

Can you believe how these suckers handle at low speed? It amazes me every time I ride, and mine is 27 years old!:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

Can you believe how these suckers handle at low speed?
Yeah, it's amazing. I much prefer it to the heavy, twitchy frontend of the C-14 at low speed. You can definitely feel the level of refinement and engineering that has gone into it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello SF, welcome from a another Wing newbie. I was in the same boat as you with a Concours 14 and a wife wanting more. The Connie was enough for weekend trips to places like Yosemite but with Canada on the list for next year; I new we had to step to a full tourer. The BMW 1600GTL was a bit of a let down with little comfort given to the pillion and I didn't like the constant whine of the engine. I still have the Connie; its my daily driver (I love its raw power and ride too much to give it up). Funny, the aux connector was an owner installed option on my level 3; the cable came in a bag with installation instructions. Enjoy the new ride.

=LJ=

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I still have the Connie; its my daily driver (I love its raw power and ride too much to give it up).=LJ=
Yeah, it was sad to see go; launching with that bike was intense, and it had so much top speed, you could get in serious trouble in only 3rd gear! I have a fun little gas-sipping ER-6N that I commute with at this point. Someday, I'd like to have another beefier sport tourer when the bank account allows.

·
Registered
6,713 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new wing. Looks good.

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
Welcome to the site and welcome to Wingdom. I had an ST1300 with the Givi trunk and backpad and my wife hated it before we got back on a Wing. Now we're both happy!;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Congratulations on getting the best 2up bike made, even with all its head scratching flaws :) Also, welcome to the best GW forum. Like you I moved up to the GW for 2up riding...nothing comes close. Now I'm looking at a Honda CB550 for a fun bike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.