Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the posts about riding the Oregon coast or touring the Pacific Coast has me dreaming then calculating. I'd have 10 days maybe 2 weeks max to make a long trip. In addition my sig other has her own bike but I might not make as many miles with her as I would solo... She wants to ride her own cycle (pic posted in the VTX section of this forum). So it looks like the only way I can get to the Pacific Coast and/or the NW Corner would be to ship the bikes then start somewhere on the coast then ship them back to Miami.

Has anybody done this... Shipping your bike so you could reach faraway places or is this just crazy and out of the question?

D

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I recall a Harley Rider in Phoenix who shipped his bike up to Washington State for a Canada tour. I found his article. Here is a excerpt from it : Some have asked how we do a trip like this. Since I am self employed and distribute my Hat Saver product nationwide, to Japan and via internet sales, it is hard to be gone for much more than a week at a time. And to maximize those days, we generally leave on a Thursday or Friday and return the next Sunday, giving us a full 10 days, but only 6 work days. Since we have limited time, to maximize our riding time in the area that we want to be, we ship the bike to the destination that we want to start from. In this case we shipped the bike to Seattle, over 1400 miles away. We used http://motorcycleshipping.biz . Call Mary Lou for a quote at 800-615-3011. Cost was $565. We then got one way tickets to Seattle and took a cab the 7 miles to Allied warehouse where the bike was waiting. The battery was dead when it got there, but they had a battery cart to jump it and we were on our way by 11am. This is a very slick way to maximize time and start riding right where you want to be.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Great idea Chopin and I think that seems very reasonable. I have a trailer for my bike and we driven to different areas of the country, left the truck and trailer and maped out a trip making about a week trip in time and using a route one way and returning another. Just another idea to keep us off the bike for a whole month plus we can stop anywhere along the way and do it again, even for a day in the hills. :)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chopin114 that's what I was looking for thanks. That price I'll check into but that seems fair to me.

Caveman, I didn't even think about your idea. I have a truck and could make some distance in the truck then make a tour or a couple/few short tours, then truck 'em back. I like it.

Thanks for the info

Donald

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got some details...

I'll include some details for if/when someone does a search on this topic. I spoke to Mary Lou at http://motorcycleshipping.biz/; a very helpful, friendly lady. She said price does vary by distance but not that much. Distances are broken into 3 different price schedules. We talked about a maximum distance shipping of 1 and/or 2 bikes from Miami to Seattle (one way). One bike is $750; 2 bikes would be $570 each. At the origin, pickup can be at your door or at a terminal; at the destination, the bike can be held at a terminal or delivered to your hotel. Other details were provided but you get the idea....

If/when we do this, we would ship 2 bikes. At $570 each, this seems to me to be a very reasonable option where time constraints may otherwise make this type of trip impossible.

·
Super Moderator
28,443 Posts
Great for doing the leg work for everyone else Donald. That's what makes our site Awesome, is guys that help each other.

Thinking about it. I would be interested as to the fine print. As far as possible damage etc etc etc. Not trying to sound negative just adding something to think about. I agree price isn't bad if you can't get enough time off. It is a real shame when work & obligations get in the way of Motorcycle riding.

Keep us informed Please.

Ride Safe.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
@ I hear ya fossil. My job is always cutting into my day:D! ditto on the damage thing, check your insurance coverages Donald and theirs as well.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
I'll include some details for if/when someone does a search on this topic. I spoke to Mary Lou at http://motorcycleshipping.biz/; a very helpful, friendly lady. She said price does vary by distance but not that much. Distances are broken into 3 different price schedules. We talked about a maximum distance shipping of 1 and/or 2 bikes from Miami to Seattle (one way). One bike is $750; 2 bikes would be $570 each. At the origin, pickup can be at your door or at a terminal; at the destination, the bike can be held at a terminal or delivered to your hotel. Other details were provided but you get the idea....

If/when we do this, we would ship 2 bikes. At $570 each, this seems to me to be a very reasonable option where time constraints may otherwise make this type of trip impossible.
Don: I feel it incumbent upon to site my source. This was pulled from a web site bi-monthly newsletter from " Cyclerides.com ". Barry Caraway is the author of this publication and it is mostly geared towards Arizona riders. I always try to make it a point to meet him again and again at one of his hosted " bike rally's " in the Phoenix area during my short trips out there. He is a Harley rider, as most in the Southwest are, but his newsletter is about the ride and destination. His web site :http://www.cyclerides.com/

·
Registered
263 Posts
My friend and his girl-friend did it. They loved it, and had a great time - and they also have the cash to make those types of decisions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts