Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I have tinkered with my Wing over the past few months, I noticed a strange tendency for dropped nuts and bolts to disappear into my bike, never to be seen again. At first, I thought it was just bad luck, but over time I became convinced that gravity was acting strangely near the bike, causing dropped fasteners to be unexpectedly drawn into the darker regions of the bike totally inaccessible to anyone other than the high priests of Gold Wing internal medicine. So, this weekend, I tested the theory. I removed the seat from my bike, backed 5' away from the bike, raised a screw above my head, and dropped it. Sure enough, despite everything I had been taught about gravity in high school, the fastener moved HORIZONTALLY 5' before dropping into the exposed guts of my motorcycle. I saw where the screw had disappeared, but after a 30 minute search with a flashlight, I could not locate the screw. It had been "digested". Instead of my usual technique of dealing with this situation, typically involving various colorful expletives, I decided to capitalize on the phenomena. I am currently working on a machine that will, at the push of a button, grasp the Wing, lift it a few feet off the ground, turn the bike upside down, and shake vigorously until a lifetime of lost fasteners has stopped accumulating on the ground under the bike. I call it the "Wing-o-matic", coming soon to a Honda parts dealer near you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
As I have tinkered with my Wing over the past few months, I noticed a strange tendency for dropped nuts and bolts to disappear into my bike, never to be seen again. At first, I thought it was just bad luck, but over time I became convinced that gravity was acting strangely near the bike, causing dropped fasteners to be unexpectedly drawn into the darker regions of the bike totally inaccessible to anyone other than the high priests of Gold Wing internal medicine. So, this weekend, I tested the theory. I removed the seat from my bike, backed 5' away from the bike, raised a screw above my head, and dropped it. Sure enough, despite everything I had been taught about gravity in high school, the fastener moved HORIZONTALLY 5' before dropping into the exposed guts of my motorcycle. I saw where the screw had disappeared, but after a 30 minute search with a flashlight, I could not locate the screw. It had been "digested". Instead of my usual technique of dealing with this situation, typically involving various colorful expletives, I decided to capitalize on the phenomena. I am currently working on a machine that will, at the push of a button, grasp the Wing, lift it a few feet off the ground, turn the bike upside down, and shake vigorously until a lifetime of lost fasteners has stopped accumulating on the ground under the bike. I call it the "Wing-o-matic", coming soon to a Honda parts dealer near you.
LMAO!!!!!! I love it!! :D

I have to post your description on a few other forums. You'll let the credit!! lol :)

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
After you lost enough odds and ends:mad: in there you be able to pick the beastly @#*&^% up and shake them out yourself.:D:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Someday the cover cap screw for the handlebars I lost while putting on the risers is going to work its way through the Wing's intestines and come out the tail pipe. I truly believe this.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ya know,,, this reminds me of a recent experience I had with the "GoldWing Black Hole". Dropping nuts, bolts and washers inside the GW caverns never to be found again has been experienced by most of us. But can you believe that I had dropped a screwdriver,,, and I couldn't find the damn thing?!

Yes, my wing is a trike so there's more room underneath that's subjected to the Goldwing Gremlins. I even rigged up two flood lights over the wing with the seat off, side panels remove and I still couldn't find the screwdriver. At first, I laughed thinking about all of the stories I've heard about parts being swallowed by this machine. Then after the third day of casually looking, I set myself to investigate in earnest. After all, I didn't want to be riding some where and have the screwdriver pop out, possibly giving me a flat or some other damage to me or the people who might be behind me. I slowly scanned the innards of the Wing again trying to look at all areas from different angles which took a considerable amount of time and low and behold, I finally saw the screwdriver. It was as if someone (gremlins) placed it neatly on the inside rail of the trike conversion. So it just goes to show,, don't piss off your wing. The gremlins inside will get ya! :D

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts
My old 1200 still has a couple of fasteners in the fairing, never to be seen again. When you get the "Wing-o-matic" perfected and on the market, be sure to give fellow forum members a good deal. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,713 Posts
Either you are a brilliant inventor...or it's raining again in Seattle....LOL

Mark

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
There are several different widgets inside the black hole of my Wing's fairing. I know full well how they got there, but danged if I know how to get them out!:confused:

·
Registered
6,417 Posts
I dropped my ignition key and never found it. I can see small washers, screws and such, but a big shiny key? I looked for that key for 15 years, every time I opened it up, and it never surfaced. Guess the gremlins weren't happy with me either. Maybe the new owner will have better luck. I definitely could have used a Wing-O-Matic.

·
Premium Member
24,643 Posts
I've always had a screw or two loose, but it's my marbles that disappeared got lost:eek::p:D

·
Super Moderator
12,270 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,158 Posts
i'm still looking for the bolt that holds the fuel filter cage in place on my 1200 wing

·
Premium Member
581 Posts
Hey put me down for one of those Wing-O-Matics !!!!!!

I still have a few bolts on the 1500 I can not find. I keep replacements in my tool box for just an occasion......LOL.

·
Super Moderator
7,606 Posts
Years ago I lost a screw driver tip inside a customer's trike when replacing the mirror.
It dropped down somewhere in the bodywork and never to be seen again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.