Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, but one of the members PM'd me about a possible map update to use for trravelling in Europe with his Navi equipped Wing. Thanks to my goof, I no longer have that PM in the messages so I'll have to report what I found out here. My Honda training tech tells me that the North American models are NOT compatible with the European databases or maps (no surprise really) so a Navi equipped Wing from over here won't operate in Europe. You could try and re-initialize the unit there, but I doubt the map/data base would work.
If you are considering shipping your Navi equipped Wing to Europe and require sat nav of any kind, I'd have to recommend that you pick up a Nuvi or comparable unit over there for your uses. It's entirely possible that they unit might be able to be re-mapped once back here and you'd have a second system for use in another vehicle or a back-up for the bike. I'd avoid purchasing one here and taking it in case there is no support for the N/A based unit once you get there. I took one of my portable Aviation units (Garmin III Pilot) with me to Ireland and it would not re-initialize for me there; but it's over 10 years old so. I spoke to Garmin before I left and they had little or no advice to give me that I considered of any benefit, the rep said I should replace it with a newer version. My rental bikes both had Nuvis on them so I didn't bother, was just going to use the Pilot as a walk-around device when we weren't riding. Still found that with the Nuvi we still constantly relied on good old maps for peace of mind.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts