Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wandering around in Walmart I found something that may interest you. STA-BIL, Ethanol Treatment. It says it prevents corrosion caused by Ethanol fuels in vehicles and small engines. Effective in ALL Ethanol Blends to E-85. Its in the automotive dept and is a 10 oz bottle for about $7.80 and treats up to 25 gallons. Since we have had a big discussion earlier about ethanol and its effects on metal surfaces, maybe this is something we can use to circumvent the growing ethanol invasion. I got some and used it on our 10% blend here. I guess time will tell if it works or not. Just some information for those who might want it. :)
Isaac

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
first look for fuel with little to no ethanol, its bad enough that gas is $3.50 + now you have to put in additives to be able to keep it in your tank

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
STA-BIL is one of those product that has a prety solid following, never used it myself. If the powers that be have their way,we may be forced into using some of these things if our beloved fuel keeps getting thinned out with other stuff. :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Considering ethanol has been in everything I've ever owned for 30+ years and I've yet to see the highways littered with vehicles I wouldn't get too worried about needing an additive.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've had some good luck with Seafoam Fuel treatment and Lucas fuel treatment, both work well and are recommended by the shop I go to. Like I said on another post about fuel grades, see if you have a Southern States that sells fuels in your area, ours sells 100% ethanol-free Gasoline! and it does perform better for sure. Our small engine dealer (Toro Lawn Mowers and Stihl Chain saws) swears by it. Apparently Toro recommends it in the owners manuals. bigjim455--84 Aspencade; 90 Vmax; 78 Zook GS 100;77 KZ 1000.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had some good luck with Seafoam Fuel treatment and Lucas fuel treatment, both work well and are recommended by the shop I go to. Like I said on another post about fuel grades, see if you have a Southern States that sells fuels in your area, ours sells 100% ethanol-free Gasoline! and it does perform better for sure. Our small engine dealer (Toro Lawn Mowers and Stihl Chain saws) swears by it. Apparently Toro recommends it in the owners manuals. bigjim455--84 Aspencade; 90 Vmax; 78 Zook GS 100;77 KZ 1000.
Used them all but here it is 75 to 80 miles to the nearest station or place that sells Ethanol Free gas. So, we live with it and do what we can. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
11,784 Posts
My friend and I have both used Startron. Neither of us noticed any improvement.

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
If we could just get the farmers in Illinois to stop selling their corn extracts to Exxon my exhaust wouldn't smell like a distillery.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have proof postive that gasoline enhanced with 10% Ethanol (E-85) if left in your fuel tank & carburetors and not treated with an additive will contaminate and possibly damage them. Pictures available upon request. Fuel injection is also vulnerable to contamination.
My 1990 1500SE became contamonated after serveral months without use. I had to R&R the carbs to do an extensive cleaning, recondition and setup/calibration to correct the problem caused by my failure to take preventive measures. Stupid on my part as I know better. Many additives do work well but I recommend doing the reserach. Several additives do different jobs. Seafoam, Sta-Bil has a good (marine fuel and Ethanol) stabilizer in blue. Red for unleaded gasoline. I use Techron for general purposes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ethanol additives.

I've used Startron since my trike was new to combat the alcohol in the fuel. It's made by the same people that make Stabil and I add 1 oz. to 6 gallons of fuel. It also stabilizes the fuel for storage. Have had good results with it so far. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts