Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw on the news that next month, the ethanol percentage in gas goes from 10% to 15% across the country. I can't believe that this is good for our cars or Wings. Oh, yea and since they are putting more corn in our gas wasn't it supposed to go DOWN in price? Anybody got any information about how this might affect the longevity of our bikes?:mad:

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I for one don't consider that as good news for any reason. A couple things I can think of as a possible benefit, our vehicles (all types that run on petrol) will lose some of their performance punch, which will mean they won't give us that adrenaline rush when we open the tap to make 'em sing. Less tickets (won't go as fast anymore), Leo's will get less attentive since we're all slower.
I'm not a chemist or an engineer, so I don't really know if there is a serious harm or a solid benfit to ehtanol increase in fuels, I just know that the fuel isn't good (stable) for near as long as 100% petrol, doesn't have the punch of 'real' gas, and uses a solid food staple for something ohter than human digestion. Scary thing is it's not like we have a choice in the matter:mad:

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with you, especially in that we have no say so about it. I have read and heard that ethanol leads to rusting injectors, increased wear and several other detrimental side effects. It seems that we keep getting less and less for more and more. I know our bikes say that we are supposed to use 87 octane unleaded gas but Momma Honda hasn't addressed the ethanol situation. Maybe some of the really smart people on this forum, engineers and such can chime in here and either erase our doubts or put us at ease.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What news-where did you see this??????
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...llow-15-ethanol-in-gasoline-up-from-10-now-/1
15% will be allowed for late model cars/trucks only.
The current allowable limit is 10%, and remains so for older vehicles, all motorcycles, heavy-duty vehicles and non-road engines (everything from leaf blowers to motorboats).
It was on NBC last night, local channel. This was a change mandated by Congress and passed several years ago that is now to go into effect. I even saw it this morning on CBS, local channel. I'm not jokin here. Been all over the Austin news. :eek:

·
Registered
691 Posts
1500 and older I wouldnt use any gas with alcohol un less I had to. Then nothing over 10%. On 1800s I would contact Honda and find out if it is safe.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1500 and older I wouldnt use any gas with alcohol un less I had to. Then nothing over 10%. On 1800s I would contact Honda and find out if it is safe.
I wish I found it that simple. Every gas station I go to here in Texas seems to have a sign stating that the gas contains ethanol. Exxon, Shell, Walmart, all have ethanol in their gas. You know that those companies are not going to put in an extra pump just for 15% ethanol to be used in late model cars and trucks and another pump for 10% ethanol for older cars and motorcycles. So as I see it, there is going to be a mess in the near future over this. I don't know the answer but I sure know the questions. Everything down here is a blend and you just can't drive all over the place looking for a non-ethanol gas. :eek:

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
FWIW.
Buying gas at local Chevron stations here in the Las Vegas area and looked for 10% ethanol stickers..couldn't find any..Pumps just had labels saying Techron as an additive..Other stations did have the 10% eth sticker..So I've been buying Chevron gas for the past 2 weeks now and noted that my gas mileage returned to my normal 40 mpg average..When I was using the 10% gas, my mileage dropped down to about 37-38 mpg..
Think I'll stick to Chevron for now..

·
Registered
691 Posts
FWIW.
Buying gas at local Chevron stations here in the Las Vegas area and looked for 10% ethanol stickers..couldn't find any..Pumps just had labels saying Techron as an additive..Other stations did have the 10% eth sticker..So I've been buying Chevron gas for the past 2 weeks now and noted that my gas mileage returned to my normal 40 mpg average..When I was using the 10% gas, my mileage dropped down to about 37-38 mpg..
Think I'll stick to Chevron for now..
There you go. Running a blend will decrease your fuel mileage due to the properties of alcohol it takes more to produce the same power as gas. If gas has alcohol in it, the pump should have a sticker telling you the percent. If you were to change a gas engine over to alcohol you would (on a carberated engine) you would increase the flow rate of the jets by 50%. In fact, on racing bikes burning alchole we would multiply the flow rate times 1.55 so they would run a bit richer.
On engines with FI the computer senses the exaust then compensates the fuel/air mixture. I think that if you had the equipment to re-map the computer, you could even run E85. in an 1800. But I would leave that to a qualified technition.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chevron stations are scarce around here. I'm out in the country so I only have a few stations to choose from within a 25 mile area. It just seems that everyone here is ethanol crazy. I will attest to the fact that my 07, 1800 gets about 35 to 38 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
7,673 Posts
Chevron stations are scarce around here. I'm out in the country so I only have a few stations to choose from within a 25 mile area. It just seems that everyone here is ethanol crazy. I will attest to the fact that my 07, 1800 gets about 35 to 38 mpg.
Look at the following websites for real gasoline. www.pure-gas.org and www.buyrealgas.com

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I take it you guys in Kansas and Las Vegas can still find "non ethanol regular" pretty easily? Down here its like trying to find a junk yard dog without ticks. But even if you could re-map the computer, what about the corrosive nature of ethanol on injectors and such? Maybe I'm just worrying about nothing. They've got us over a barrel anyway, but at least they could supply some Vaseline.

·
Super Moderator
11,818 Posts
It's just another way for our wonderful government to get all the older vehicles off the roads! They have been trying to pass a law for many years to allow only ten year old or newer cars be licensed.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
This is true!! So is there an additive to counteract the extra ethanol??

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
It was on NBC last night, local channel. This was a change mandated by Congress and passed several years ago that is now to go into effect. I even saw it this morning on CBS, local channel. I'm not jokin here. Been all over the Austin news. :eek:
I understand what you're saying-Do you understand that 10% must remain available also?
Wonder how many Oil companies will foot the bill to add tanks and pumps at their gas stations for the 15%, just because the Washington idiots say it's OK?
By the way-for another poster-ethanol does not rust injectors.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The book on my '08 1800 says E10 is good, and it follows a 5% increase would still be good. As far as punch, or power, there is no difference. My E85 pickup has has much or more power with E85 as it does on E10--there is however that definate lack of milage, which seems to be in the neighborhood of 10%. It is shown that higher concentrations of ethanol will clean an engine, as it is a powerful solvent, and I have seen no data showing damage to injectors, on the contrary it should clean those components. The huge loss of wealth we see each year to people who hate us and our way of life dictates that we turn the tide, even with baby steps at first. Renewable homegrown energy has got to have a place at the table, as does increased domestic oil exploration and drilling, and now we have an administration that has stopped off shore drilling, and refused to go into known areas of domestic oil. Just one guy's thoughts.

·
Registered
5,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The book on my '08 1800 says E10 is good, and it follows a 5% increase would still be good. As far as punch, or power, there is no difference. My E85 pickup has has much or more power with E85 as it does on E10--there is however that definate lack of milage, which seems to be in the neighborhood of 10%. It is shown that higher concentrations of ethanol will clean an engine, as it is a powerful solvent, and I have seen no data showing damage to injectors, on the contrary it should clean those components. The huge loss of wealth we see each year to people who hate us and our way of life dictates that we turn the tide, even with baby steps at first. Renewable homegrown energy has got to have a place at the table, as does increased domestic oil exploration and drilling, and now we have an administration that has stopped off shore drilling, and refused to go into known areas of domestic oil. Just one guy's thoughts.
Well, I tell you that they need to make the "homegrown energy" out of something other than corn. When corn production made the jump to making gas, everything that was made from corn went sky high in price. My cattle food which contains corn jumped 40% in price and everything you buy in the supermarket that had corn in it went up in price including the price of beef. Now if they could make gas out of grasshoppers, I could make a fortune. :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts