Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1995 GL1500 idles erratically. It will try to idle @ 1000rpm then move up to 1500 then back down, its up and down constantly. The carbs have been removed and cleaned. One thing that is unusual is when you look at the carbs from the top when the engine is running at idle, fuel is constantly dripping from the accelerator pump tube on the left side carb. The accelerator pump has been replaced but no change. Once you get past the idle problem when riding the bike, everything works fine. I think the idle problem is probably due to the extra fuel being added by the accelerator pump circuit, but I cant figure out why it is doing that. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Have to ask,was it doing this before the carbs. were done? Can you get it to idle down below 1,000? Or does it stall if attempting this. I have some experience with Mikuni car carbs.,and they would do what you describe if the throttle blade was open too far in relation to idle mixture.With the bike,could be a synch issue. Try closing down the left carb. a bit,and opening the right. If that helps then i think we're on the right path.
Ken '94SE

·
Registered
151 Posts
hey nascar, fuel does not drip out of good carbs for a good reason, FIRE, REMOVE THE CARBS an see what it takes to repair the leak an you will possibly find your idle problem. by the way, find the air screws located on the front of the carbs an adjust them to 2 turns out from fully seated. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts