Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So that I am not hi-jacking someone's thread I will start this one.
I have being informed by a likeable USA 1200 Hoon that my 1200 maybe down in my tuning.
Tomorrow it will be heads down and I will see if I can change the state of tune for the old girl.
I will start with new plug and new lead wires. Then I will balance the carbs. If the readings are good on the vacum gauges I will not pull them down.
Then if I can't get 38 mpg at 90 mph I will come back for some assistance.:D:D:D Eric

·
Premium Member
24,118 Posts
One of the most overlooked aspects of tuning an engine is checking the resonating frequency of the harmonic balancer. You will need a tuning fork in the key of A at 440 Hz. Strike the tuning fork sharply against a blunt object and then place it against the engine block. If the bike vibrates at the same pitch you're in tune.

·
Administrator
28,997 Posts
Good for you Eric, giving your old workhorse some tender loving care. Let us know your results.

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I will have to give it go. Good spark, good gas mix, no restictions out and finely tuned to Chopins specs. How can I go wrong. Eric

·
Super Moderator
15,159 Posts
change plugs, drain the crankcase breather overflow bottle, check the air filter

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
38 mpg at 90 mph is a worthy goal.

I just found a gas station in my area that sells gas without the alcohol in it. I have a hard time keeping the bike under 90 and I am getting 41.2365 mpg on the regular, no alcohol stuff.

It is a good thing I have a car tire on the back... did I mention on this forum that I put a car tire on my Wing?

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I just found a gas station in my area that sells gas without the alcohol in it. I have a hard time keeping the bike under 90 and I am getting 41.2365 mpg on the regular, no alcohol stuff.

It is a good thing I have a car tire on the back... did I mention on this forum that I put a car tire on my Wing?
You are joking right. At 90 mph and you can get 41 mpg. I think you are pulling my leg. At that speed I get 31 mpg. I am going to need more help here I think. Eric

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts

No Larry, don't think I heard you mention this before. Of course my wife says I have selective hearing. What was that you said again sonny?:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
You are joking right. At 90 mph and you can get 41 mpg. I think you are pulling my leg. At that speed I get 31 mpg. I am going to need more help here I think. Eric
I think that's bull too Eric. My 1500 gets 35 miles per gallon tops. My 98 Cummins PU gets 16.5 in town tops. I'm happy to get 35 when I use the Wing for work because I'm saving money. Some of the guys on the Saunders forum are adding 2 cycle motor oil to their gas and report a gain of 2-3 mph. Not done this but may investigate further.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
I think that's bull too Eric. My 1500 gets 35 miles per gallon tops. My 98 Cummins PU gets 16.5 in town tops. I'm happy to get 35 when I use the Wing for work because I'm saving money. Some of the guys on the Saunders forum are adding 2 cycle motor oil to their gas and report a gain of 2-3 mph. Not done this but may investigate further.
I had a case of 2 cycle oil left over from my boating days. I ran two cans of it through my bike trying that and I saw no noticeable difference in fuel economy. I got my regular 45 mpg at 70 and 41 at 90.

When it comes to fuel economy, drinking, fancy cars or women.... first liar doesn't have a chance.

Oh... yea. Politics too.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Ok.... I got an Australian joke so this is the right place for it? Ya think? Here goes:

Life in the Australian Army...

Text of a letter from a kid from Eromanga to Mum and Dad. (Eromanga is a small town, west of Quilpie in the far south west of Queensland )

Dear Mum & Dad,

I am well. Hope youse are too. Tell me big brothers Doug and Phil that the Army is better than workin' on the farm - tell them to get in bloody quick smart before the jobs are all gone! I wuz a bit slow in settling down at first, because ya don't hafta get outta bed until 6am.. But I like sleeping in now, cuz all ya gotta do before brekky is make ya bed and shine ya boots and clean ya uniform. No bloody cows to milk, no calves to feed, no feed to stack - nothin'!! Ya haz gotta shower though, but its not so bad, coz there's lotsa hot water and even a light to see what ya doing!

At brekky ya get cereal, fruit and eggs but there's no kangaroo steaks or possum stew like wot Mum makes. You don't get fed again until noon and by that time all the city boys are buggered because we've been on a 'route march' - geez its only just like walking to the windmill in the back paddock!!

This one will kill me brothers Doug and Phil with laughter. I keep getting medals for shootin' - dunno why. The bullseye is as big as a bloody possum's bum and it don't move and it's not firing back at ya like the Johnsons did when our big scrubber bull got into their prize cows before the Ekka last year! All ya gotta do is make yourself comfortable and hit the target - it's a piece of ****!! You don't even load your own cartridges, they comes in little boxes, and ya don't have to steady yourself against the rollbar of the roo shooting truck when you reload!

Sometimes ya gotta wrestle with the city boys and I gotta be real careful coz they break easy - it's not like fighting with Doug and Phil and Jack and Boori and Steve and Muzza all at once like we do at home after the muster.
Turns out I'm not a bad boxer either and it looks like I'm the best the platoon's got, and I've only been beaten by this one bloke from the Engineers - he's 6 foot 5 and 15 stone and three pick handles across the shoulders and as ya know I'm only 5 foot 7 and eight stone wringin' wet, but I fought him till the other blokes carried me off to the boozer.

I can't complain about the Army - tell the boys to get in quick before word gets around how bloody good it is.

Your loving daughter,

Sheila

·
Premium Member
11,279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yer Larry they build the tough down here. Just the other day up at the Top End there was a BQ held at a Cattle Station. The distance are great up here and people came up to 500 mile to get there.
So it was Harry's show and everything was layed on.
Jimmy the ringer was there for the boose.
Paddy the roo shooter was there for the girls.
And no one knew why Nev the Aborigine was there.

The BQ is in full swing when Harry claps his hands to get everyones attention.
He said, "I will give the first man to swim my pool one million big one."
There was movement amongst the boy's when Harry yells, "hang on, hang on. I do have a 14 foot croc in there.

There is a splash and Nev is in.
This is followed wild slashing with Nev fingers in the crocs eyes.
There was yelling in the pool and yelling out the pool.
You couldn't tell if the croc had Nev or Nev had the croc.
Then they surfaced and Nev has his arms around the croc neck.
His leg are kicking the croc in the guts.
Down they go again but this time the croc floats to the top.

Up jumps Nev and fronts up to Harry.
This has never been done before and everyone is in shock.
Harry shakes his hand and said, Ï owe you some big ones.
Nev: Nar boss, I dun wan it.
Well I insist you got to have something, what about a new car.
Nar Boss, I dun wan it.
Well what about a rolex.
Nar Boss, I dun wan it.
Alright what do you want.

Nev takes a big breath and said, I wan the p...k that pushed me in.

·
Banned
2,948 Posts
Yer Larry they build the tough down here. Just the other day up at the Top End there was a BQ held at a Cattle Station. The distance are great up here and people came up to 500 mile to get there.
So it was Harry's show and everything was layed on.
Jimmy the ringer was there for the boose.
Paddy the roo shooter was there for the girls.
And no one knew why Nev the Aborigine was there.

The BQ is in full swing when Harry claps his hands to get everyones attention.
He said, "I will give the first man to swim my pool one million big one."
There was movement amongst the boy's when Harry yells, "hang on, hang on. I do have a 14 foot croc in there.

There is a splash and Nev is in.
This is followed wild slashing with Nev fingers in the crocs eyes.
There was yelling in the pool and yelling out the pool.
You couldn't tell if the croc had Nev or Nev had the croc.
Then they surfaced and Nev has his arms around the croc neck.
His leg are kicking the croc in the guts.
Down they go again but this time the croc floats to the top.

Up jumps Nev and fronts up to Harry.
This has never been done before and everyone is in shock.
Harry shakes his hand and said, Ï owe you some big ones.
Nev: Nar boss, I dun wan it.
Well I insist you got to have something, what about a new car.
Nar Boss, I dun wan it.
Well what about a rolex.
Nar Boss, I dun wan it.
Alright what do you want.

Nev takes a big breath and said, I wan the p...k that pushed me in.
That is a good one right there!

·
Premium Member
24,646 Posts
Funny, but still a hijack Larry:eek: But I think you got away with it since Eric countered;) Anyhoo, back to the tuneup, the plug wires and caps are avery good idea, but don't forget the drain holes in the plug recesses need to be clear, they can hold water and cause runability issues. Also make sure your airfilter is good. Then clean and sync the carbs and you should be fit as a fiddle. The bike is no spring chicken anymore so the needles ans seats could be worn, and the floats could be not as good as they once were.

·
Administrator
15,283 Posts
Two good ones! What were y'all talking about?

G

·

Larry I think you should install a car tire on the back.

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Bunch of Hijacking Hoons!:mad::p

Be sure to check the setting on the pilot screws. My '85 1200 calls for 2 1/4 turns out from bottomed. '84 1200 calls for 3 1/2 turns out.

By the way, I haven't claimed anything on fuel economy yet, just performance. And, in my experience efficiency and performance tend to go together. My fuel gauge isn't working yet so I'll have to figure that out before doing mileage checks. Don't worry, I'll not hijack your thread by writing "Help me Trike Lady!" or something like that! :D

·
Premium Member
16,742 Posts
Larry is cheating on the fuel and speed thing, I hear tell he has special muffler bearings install, and keeps them lubed with contact cleaner.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
You guys are all missing it...Larry has 16 inch tire on the back and he put a 12 inch on the front and since he is always going "down hill", he gets great gas mileage.:D

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Think Larry's mileage is good now, wait until he's "SkinnyinPhoenix!";)

Eric, contrary to the impression I gave with my high speed claim, I do not ride him hard as a rule. I'll be happy with 37-38mpg as an average of 60/40% highway/city riding and 40mpg highway average at a steady 70mph. Good enough for me for a 27-year old stock motorscooter.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts