Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm trying to help a friend with his 1988 1500. It seems like it is runing on 4 or 5 - more noticable at idle. It stumbles bad on take off and acceleration. At first is was thinking carb. problems, but after riding it for a while, it seems to do it most of the time - hign or low rpms. I checked as many vacuum lines that i could reach and all are good. I would like to do a compression check, but it shure looks like a big job. What do I have to remove to do the compression test? If I do end up going into the carbs any suggestions? What about timing belts? Could one be getting bad and runing loose. What is the procedure for troubleshooting?
Thanks for any help

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
hello and welcome to GWOF daniel. to access the spark plugs the lower part of the fairing ( just above the head ) will have to be removed

·
Registered
263 Posts
On one that old,i believe you have spark issues,wires and or wire ends at the plugs. If this has been going on for awhile it may now have fuel fouled plugs as well. Does the engine spin over evenly with the kill switch in the off position? If so,then i would bet your compression is fine.Please let us know what u find. Ken 94SE

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Sounds just like the issue that brought me here! My friend's 1500 was doing just the same. He ran a strong carburetor cleaner through a couple tanks and she runs fine now.

Oh, and he also put in a new set of plugs, two sets, actually, as he thought the first might be bad. Neither set helped the issue.

drmcmtru might be right on the spark issue, but we went down that road with his.

Hope this helps. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 87 1200A suddenly developed low power. New plugs, equal synch on the carbs, starts easily and runs smooth under no load conditions. I'm thinking the coils might be bad. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11 Posts
update

Well so far i have changed out the carburetors, cleaned and inspected them, replaced the Ignition control unit and replaced all the vacuum hoses. no change. i am getting a reading of 365-420 ohms on the pulse generator coils. the book calls for 1100 - 1300 ohms. i find it too coincidental that both coils would read the same at the same time. i would expect one to read normal and one to be bad but not both. i called my Honda dealer and he said" Sounds like the Clutch is going bad" OK time to find another dealer. i have 800 lbs of useless metal and plastic in my garage that i think is worth more in parts than as a whole. I am disappointed but am not going to put over 1000.00 in repairs to a 2800.00 bike. just not worth it. i will keep you all informed of my progress or lack thereof.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Have you checked the timing marks on the belts? If they are worn and one has jumped a tooth or two, it could cause your problem.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
VMIPAT, have you changed your fuel filters? Try that first, if it idles good the belts are probably fine.

That is to say the timing is probably fine, if the belts have high miles they should be replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i replaced the filters, oil, air and fuel. the fuel pump delivers 2.1 oz of fuel in 5 secs( like the book says). it idles fine, all carbs sync equally and will run at any speed i set it at but it acts like the spark is not advancing when i try to accelerate. i loose speed going uphill.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Do you lose RPMs going up a hill or just speed?

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
I don't know much about the pulse generators, but from what I understand, they normally either work or don't work.

·
Super Moderator
11,809 Posts
Any change in valve timing will make a difference. Is the belt loose?

·
Registered
11 Posts
actually it is quite tight. there is minimal deflection. I put on new belts and now the deflection is set to the specifications set forth in the manual.

·
Registered
23 Posts
one tooth off on the timing belt makes a big diff. 3 teeth off will ruin the engine! Make 100% certain that belt is in good shape or new and on the correct timing marks. Then check the valve lash and make certain it is set properly. Then resync the carbs. If it were mine, I would do ALL of the above before starting her back up or taking out on the road. And I do almost ALL of my own work now because I can't find a good Vintage Honda repair shop anymore. Thats just the way it is these days but the up side is if you ever get into a jam on the road you wil know what to do to get back home if you have done all the work yourself. Money is one obstacle but being stranded and with low funds is a whole new ballgame!!! Mine is a 76 Wing plus I had a 78 Wing about 6 years ago. I love the Vintage stuff

1 - 20 of 21 Posts