Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to replace my stator on my 85 GL1200 Interstate, is there any way to shortcut or save labour time when removing the engine ?

I read a comment somewhere about removing the engine at the parting line of the intake manifold and head ???

Any recommendations all welcomed !

Thanks !
tgsguitar

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I don't really think there is a 'short cut' for the removal. Do you have a service manual? It's quite detailed about the procedure and there are some helpful and/or necessary hints in it. It's only 8 pages out of the manual so if you'd like, I could e-mail or fax you the pages. If I was a bit more of a propeller head I could post pdf's of the pages, but I'm not that high up in the computing food chain. PM me if I can help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Engine Removal

Thanks for your reply. I do actually have a manual but sometimes you hear that someone has found an alternative process that might save time or effort during the removal. The cost for this job is of course mostly labour so if any shortcuts are available it helps to keep the costs down.

Thanks again for your feedback !
tgsguitar

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
If you're taking it to a shop for the job, get an estimate on how much for the whole job and how much if you do the fairing and engine guard etc dismantling as well.With shop rates what they are these days it all helps. My first stator on my 1200 my local shop mechanic and I did together since he'd never worked on a Wing before. I'm no wrench believe me but we got at it at 4:00 in the afternoon. Had the bike back together and running, headed home just before 3:00 a.m. (after we had worked all day already). Kinda fun but nasty long haul. Put the voltmeter in at the same time; didn't stop the stator from bumming out again some 35,000 later, but saved me a dead bike on the highway and lots of grief.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's my only fear of my bike. And we all know on the older bikes it's going to happen sooner or later, just hope a hole lot later.I wish you luck and speed at the job.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts