Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help on narrowing the problem area I need to check. On my last two rides, the engine on my 85 Interstate quit. Both times. it quit when I tried to accelerate from a standing stop. The rides started out normally, with the bike firing up nicely in the morning.

On the first incident yesterday, I had been riding for for about 15 min. then hit stop-and-go traffic on the freeway. It quit when I tried to "go" from a "stop". Then this morning, I had been commuting through town traffic for about 20 min., came to a stop light, then it quit when I tried to accelerate. Both times it seemed like there was no electrical power (the LED battery gauge did not light up, no warning lights on, when the key was switched to on).

However, after sitting for a few minutes, I turned the ignition key, all the lights came on, and it started up okay.

I would greatly appreciate any help in where I should look to fix this problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
hi mel, try the ignition switch base which is made of plastic to see if power is coming out when this problem shows up. the black wire is the one you need to inspect for power. these switch bases will melt over time an need replaced. good luck

·
Registered
172 Posts
Been an auto tech for over 40 years. With any electrical problem always look for a bad ground first. 75% of all eletrical problems start out as a bad ground. It's the killer of all things elecrical

·
Registered
135 Posts
Been an auto tech for over 40 years. With any electrical problem always look for a bad ground first. 75% of all eletrical problems start out as a bad ground. It's the killer of all things elecrical
this is a shot in the dark with out checking it out -- but it sounds like your pulse generators are going bad--- replace the belts at the same time

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me on my 87 Aspencade. Travelling across the prairies in Saskatchewan in the middle of nowhere....trying to pass a semi at about 130km's and ffpht...engine just quit. pulled to the side of the road...ran the battery down tryin to start it again....lucky some good not old boys showed u p and gave me a jump with their truck.....wing fired right up and continued on for the rest of the day without any probs... never did figure it out. but have start button isssues pretty regular now.

·
Registered
172 Posts
this is a shot in the dark with out checking it out -- but it sounds like your pulse generators are going bad--- replace the belts at the same time
The pulse Generators won't cause the dash lights not to work. The current flow to the switch is being interupted wheather it be a bad switch, bad incoming or bad ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Check the main fuse on the right side of the battery. If you still have the original dog bone type fuse, it may be failing. My fuse looked okay until I tried to take it out for inspection, and it crumbled into bits when I touched it. This type of fuse can develop hairline cracks that can cause a loss of electrical power at certain times. All of the bike's electrical current passes through this tiny fuse and I can't believe that they last as long as they do. You can replace the dog bone fuse with a regular automotive blade type fuse to make this fuse more durable and reliable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts