19 Posts
Dig hole in neighbors yard.
Pull plug.
Wait five minutes, install plug.
Fill oil.
Find and change filter.
Cover hole.

Seriousely, get a manual.
It'll tell you that and most other things on your bike.
I buy one for everything, you'd be amazed at some of the things you can learn from them, even if you are an experienced mechanic.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If you have a band type filter wrench you can remove the filter without taking off the lower cowl. Once the filter is off remove the 17mm bolt to the right of the filter (right sitting on the bike) and drain the oil. Remove the right chrome engine cover (it's tight but pull and it will come off) remove the dip stick. Put the new filter on, replace the drain plug and pour the oil (4qts.) into the hole where the dip stick goes. Checking the oil is a pain, Sometimes it will show low and other times it will show full. Now I don't check it between changes, it's a Honda, it won't use oil. Before you install the new filter put a couple of drops of oil on the o ring of the filter to help it seal. Ride it over to my house and I'll give you a hand!

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Joe's got it right. Easy to do and does not take long. I wish I was changing my oil now... it would mean that it's time to start riding again. Still waiting for spring. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
joe's right

Joe has it down pat. I do say if u use Honda filters there is a corregated leading ( top ) edge that fits right to an oil change wrench sold by somebody, probably Honda. This really does simplify the filter removal/replacement. I dont like to pay 12$ for a Honda filter so i use Fram upgrade at about 4.50$. These require a band tight wrench and u need one the right size. Rob is right again when he says put a couple drops of oil on the new filter rubber seal. Maybe even 6 or 8 drops. I change oil at 3000 miles.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts